Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Defense Mechanisms ~ 80 check-box options

Persona Oblongata OrionzRevenge's Avatar
    Type
    INtP

Question Defense Mechanisms ~ 80 check-box options

Defense Mechanisms

http://psychologia.co/defense-mechanisms/

Defense mechanisms in psychology refer to habitual ways of dealing with negative emotions, fear and frustration. Their main function is to distort, manipulate or even completely deny the reality in order to reduce your anxiety. Healthy people typically use different defenses on different occasions. Having said that, each of us is likely to have a few “favorite” defenses, and the test below is designed to help you figure out what they are.
    ---------------
    Your predominant defense mechanisms are where you scored the highest.
    Regression: 50
    Displacement: 20
    Denial: 0
    Repression: 10
    Intellectualization: 20
    Reaction formation: 10
    Projection: 40
    Compensation: 20
    -----------
    Spoiler: Explanation of Defense Mechanisms:

Regression.
    Psychological regression is a childish way of dealing with challenges. Drinking, overeating and other forms of escapism are all examples of regression.

Displacement.
    Displacement is considered to be a neurotic mechanism, which means it is always negative and may take a toll on your relationships. When displacement is used, your aggressive impulses are directed to an unthreatening target that has nothing to do with whatever made you upset. For example, you may start a fight with your spouse after having a hard day at work, or you may yell at your children because you are upset with your spouse. The displacement technique is different from sublimation. When sublimation is used, your negative emotions are transformed into something positive. For example, if you are going for a run to get rid of anger, you are using the sublimation technique.

Denial.
    Psychological denial is a common coping mechanism. Basically, denial is an attempt to reduce anxiety and worry by refusing to accept the reality. A woman may deny there is a lump in her breast. An overweight person may insist she is big-boned. Many overly optimistic and overly positive people, in fact, are using denial as their predominant coping strategy.

Repression.

Psychological repression is unconscious attempt to repel negative feelings as if they didn’t exist. People who use repression as their predominant strategy typically are not aware of their own emotional situation and feelings. Sometimes they will not have any recollection of traumatic events that undoubtedly happened whatsoever.

Repression is slightly different from suppression. While repression is an unconscious process, suppression is a conscious blocking of impulses and emotions.

Intellectualization.
    Psychological intellectualization is an attempt to deal with frustration and anxiety by leaving our emotions behind and concentrating on rational analysis of upsetting events. An example of this would be a patient diagnosed with a serious illness who deals with his anxiety by reading everything he can find about his diagnosis.

People who tend to use intellectualization may also use rationalization, another coping mechanism. The difference between intellectualization and rationalization is that rationalization typically involves minimizing the importance of upsetting events or giving excuses. For example, if your job interview didn’t go successfully, you may be tempted to say you weren’t that interested anyway.

Reaction formation.
    Reaction formation is probably the most interesting defense mechanism of all. Basically, reaction formation is converting your actual feelings to their exact opposite. For example, you may be so deeply in love that you feel extremely vulnerable. To get rid of anxiety, you begin to act as if you were indifferent to, or even hated the person you really love. Another example is when you behave overly friendly toward a person who you secretly dislike. The key to reaction formation is exaggeration and compulsiveness. Needless to say, reaction formation is not a healthy way of dealing with emotional problems.

Projection.
    Projection is a coping technique that helps reduce anxiety by attributing unacceptable behavior to somebody else. For example, your spouse may accuse you in being mean and not letting them talk while in reality it’s your spouse who doesn’t let you talk. Another example would be when you dislike someone without any obvious reason. To reduce your anxiety and justify your feelings, you start thinking that it’s that person who doesn’t like you in the first place. In extreme cases, people who use this defense mechanism may appear paranoid. They will display extreme distrust of others and build conspiracy theories.

Compensation.
    Psychological compensation is an attempt to compensate for real or imagined flaws in one area by excelling in another area. For example, someone who fails academically may compensate by becoming a great athlete, or someone who is physically weak may compensate by concentrating on their studies or career. Unattractive people may compensate by becoming great lovers and / or attentive partners. Compensation may be positive or negative. While positive compensation helps overcome challenges, negative compensation increases feeling of inferiority.
    Creativity is the residue of time wasted. ~ Albert Einstein

Type
    INFP
    Regression: 30
    Displacement: 10
    Repression: 20
    Intellectualization: 30
    Reaction formation: 50
    Projection: 20
    Compensation: 30

Type
    INTP
    Regression: 10
    Displacement: 10
    Repression: 60
    Intellectualization: 60
    Reaction formation: 20
    Projection: 30
    Compensation: 20

Type
    INTP
    Displacement: 0
    Denial: 10
    Repression: 50
    Intellectualization: 50
    Reaction formation: 20
    Projection: 20
    Compensation: 10

This was interesting.

I didn't know the term displacement even though I've recognised it as a behaviour pattern since I was a kid.

Type
    INTP
    Displacement: 40
    Denial: 20
    Repression: 60
    Intellectualization: 70
    Reaction formation: 10
    Projection: 50
    Compensation: 10

I take issue with many of the questions. Either they conflate things which ought not be conflated, or I don't see how a given behavior would necessarily or even likely indicate a "defense mechanism" (rather, the given behavior may be merely socially-dispositional qua introverted or intuitive).

Type
    INTP
    Heh, I really didn't relate to most of those statements at all. Maybe I'm repressing and intellectualizing my own defense mechanisms.

Regression: 0
    Repression: 50
    Intellectualization: 40
    Reaction formation: 0
    Projection: 0
    Compensation: 0

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    I think it's interesting that they don't allow for positive defense mechanisms, even though in the descriptions of the defense mechanisms, they note the specific existence of one: sublimation. But the test doesn't allow for sublimation to be a possible result.
    Most of time, when people ask why something terrible happened, they don't realize they are looking for someone to blame.

--Meditations on Uncertainty Vol ξ(x)

Persona Oblongata OrionzRevenge's Avatar
    Type
    INtP
    It's The Kobayashi Maru Effect
    Last edited by OrionzRevenge; 11-09-2015 at 08:25 AM.
    Creativity is the residue of time wasted. ~ Albert Einstein

Type
    INTP
    I'm just chuckling at "I don’t get bothered when I see someone covered in blood."

That would sort of depend on context for most people, no? Or just me?

I don't have any reflexive or phobic response to seeing blood per se, but there's kind of a difference between seeing blood on the gloves of a paramedic, seeing blood on an athlete who just experienced a common form of injury, and having Chad from the office across the hall in accounting just show up covered in blood one morning.

I mean, holy shit, Chad; what the fuck is going on? This is slightly upsetting to me, Chad.

Displacement: 50
    Repression: 70
    Intellectualization: 70
    Reaction formation: 50
    Projection: 70
    Compensation: 50
    Quote Originally Posted by Ptah View Post
    No history, no exposition, no anecdote or argument changes the invariant: we are all human beings, and some humans are idiots.

Type
    INTP
    Repression: 0
    Intellectualization: 10
    Reaction formation: 0
    Projection: 30
    Compensation: 0

Hmm.