Thread: supplements should be carefully taken

Type
    INFP
    Is cheap whiskey an antioxidant supplement? If so, I have a bunch and watch Frasier.

Glimpses do ye seem to see of that mortally intolerable truth; that all deep, earnest thinking is but the intrepid effort of the soul to keep the open independence of her sea; while the wildest winds of heaven and earth conspire to cast her on the treacherous, slavish shore?

Type
    INTJ
    INTPx Award Winner
    I have knockout genes to counter the effects of too many supplements.
    My altitude on antioxidant supplements is about 450 feet if they're at sea level on a slow boat from China.

Type
    xNxx
    hey fuck you all I said to myself while slamming a handful of homemade vitamin k

(poop)

Type
    INTP
    I'm always very careful about my supplements. Many supplements have chamfered edges, and I think that's insufficient. It may take away the obvious sharp edges but I don't want to lacerate my throat on oblique angles either. I use a radiused deburr scraper and blend all the edges smooth and rounded. If the edges seem especially beveled, I use a pencil grinder to speed up the process.

The smoothing on gelcaps can leave a bit to be desired too. Often there's a seam mark that I find unacceptable. Again, I'm not open to throat lacerations, so I deburr those edges off too. If it fails to pass the fingernail test, I'm not risking a shaving of my cilia during as I swallow.

Another important area of supplement safety that is commonly overlooked: don't take too many at once! Too big a handful of pills is harder to swallow and you're more likely to choke. I also recommend washing them down with cola syrup or olive oil. I think it helps reduce the likelihood of those nasty pill burps that fill your mouth with the taste of dirt and wheatgrass.

Keep your supplements out of reach of other people. You never know what they might think is funny to do to tamper with them.

Also, never ever take supplements near anything remotely humorous. A laugh while drinking can send a beverage out your nose, but a laugh while swallowing a couple pills will lead to a day you'll desperately wish you could forget. A pill lodged in your nose is going to dominate your attention in an unpleasant way for days on end.
    --Mention of these things is so taboo, they aren't even allowed a name for the prohibition. It is just not done.

Tawaci ki a Gnaska ki Osito Polar's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Hephaestus View Post
    A pill lodged in your nose is going to dominate your attention in an unpleasant way for days on end.
    Don't leave us hanging on the ending there, Heph. What kind of pill was it? Is it still in your nose but you've just learned to live with it? If not, how did you get it out? Also, was the pill able to be effective when ingested nasally?
    "I don't have psychological problems." --Madrigal

"When you write about shooting Polemarch in the head, that's more like a first-person view, like you're there looking down the sight of the gun." --Utisz

David Wong, regarding Chicago
    Six centuries ago, the pre-Colombian natives who settled here named this region with a word which in their language means "the Mouth of Shadow". Later, the Iroquois who showed up and inexplicably slaughtered every man, woman and child renamed it "Seriously, Fuck that Place". When French explorer Jacques Marquette passed through the area he marked his map with a drawing of a brownish blob emerging from between the Devil's buttocks.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Osito Polar View Post
    Don't leave us hanging on the ending there, Heph. What kind of pill was it? Is it still in your nose but you've just learned to live with it? If not, how did you get it out? Also, was the pill able to be effective when ingested nasally?
    Multi-vitamin. It is no longer lodged there, but there was a considerable amount of uncomfortable snorting and hacking and retching both during and after the process of dislodging it. I smelled it for days and my nose and throat felt bruised.

It made a hell of a mess too. Fortunately it was first thing in the morning so the vomit was mostly foam and slime, but still... put me off the supplement trail for awhile.

It's much less painful to clear a Mr. Goodbar vomited into the nose. Or at least, I don't remember my Mr. Goodbar incident being as bad. Peanut fragments and chocolate dripping out my nose were more tolerable than a large pill caught at the back of it, like a loogie made of stone.
    --Mention of these things is so taboo, they aren't even allowed a name for the prohibition. It is just not done.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by MandySwift View Post
    There are many research reports about supplements published recently on one main topic-dietary supplements with antioxidant character should be better had under the instruction of doctors as they may increase the risk for cancer and cancer patients should pay special attention to such supplements. I seldom take supplement pills for that I hold the idea that supplements are also drugs, side effects may bring by them. What's your altitude about antioxidant supplements?
    Supplements only help if you are deficient in the thing you are supplementing. More than enough and you will literally piss it away. Megadose extremes of way way more than enough can burden your kidneys, and in some cases, your liver, as your body works hard to get you back down to the "enough but not too much" level.

If you feel better after taking a supplement, it isn't because more is always better, it's because enough is better than not enough.
    Insults are effective only where emotion is present. -- Spock, "Who Mourns for Adonais?" Stardate 3468.1.

I'm not avoiding socializing I'm helping socializing avoid me! --MoneyJungle

Tawaci ki a Gnaska ki Osito Polar's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Sistamatic View Post
    If you feel better after taking a supplement, it isn't because more is always better, it's because enough is better than not enough.
    True, for the most part. But there are some supplements like piracetam and things derived from it where none is fine but more CAN be better. Also, experimental evidence shows that while we don't think of lithium as something people are deficient in, in places where it's present (not necessarily in large concentrations or anything) in the ground water people suffer from depression less frequently and suicide rates are markedly lower.

I dunno. Based on reading those studies, if someone told me they were going to take a 5 or 10mg/day lithium supplement I would shrug and think "I suppose that might make sense" and not "hope you like having expensive urine".

Also, remember when lots of people were megadosing vitamin C? What ever happened to that practice?
    "I don't have psychological problems." --Madrigal

"When you write about shooting Polemarch in the head, that's more like a first-person view, like you're there looking down the sight of the gun." --Utisz

David Wong, regarding Chicago
    Six centuries ago, the pre-Colombian natives who settled here named this region with a word which in their language means "the Mouth of Shadow". Later, the Iroquois who showed up and inexplicably slaughtered every man, woman and child renamed it "Seriously, Fuck that Place". When French explorer Jacques Marquette passed through the area he marked his map with a drawing of a brownish blob emerging from between the Devil's buttocks.

Type
    XNXP
    Quote Originally Posted by stuck View Post
    hey fuck you all I said to myself while slamming a handful of homemade vitamin k
    Damn straight. Too much of the type known as "A" can hurt ya, though....
    cute as a bug

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Osito Polar View Post
    True, for the most part. But there are some supplements like piracetam and things derived from it where none is fine but more CAN be better. Also, experimental evidence shows that while we don't think of lithium as something people are deficient in, in places where it's present (not necessarily in large concentrations or anything) in the ground water people suffer from depression less frequently and suicide rates are markedly lower.

I dunno. Based on reading those studies, if someone told me they were going to take a 5 or 10mg/day lithium supplement I would shrug and think "I suppose that might make sense" and not "hope you like having expensive urine".

Also, remember when lots of people were megadosing vitamin C? What ever happened to that practice?
    I would posit that if the population is suffering from mental health issues that are markedly improved by the addition of a micronutrient, that the population, regardless of FDA guidelines or public perception, was deficient in that micronutrient. I just read a little about lithium. If you take too much (30mg/day or more,) you typically develop thyroid issues, and there is good evidence that deficiency is bad for mental health.

It isn't about the expense of the urine when it comes to megadoses, but the fact that there is an upper limit to how much your kidneys can filter in a given amount of time, and they have a very important job that can be compromised if you give them too much side work. If you have one kidney then your tolerance for megadoses is further reduced.

I happen to believe that a great many people are potassium deficient. Particularly those on high sodium diets who avoid vegetables. Too much potassium will kill you, so selling it as a supplement is dangerous. You have to actually "eat your spinach" to get it.
    Insults are effective only where emotion is present. -- Spock, "Who Mourns for Adonais?" Stardate 3468.1.

I'm not avoiding socializing I'm helping socializing avoid me! --MoneyJungle