Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I don't like seafood

Sysop
    Type
    INTP

Angry I don't like seafood

I never have.

Some speculate that I just haven't "had it prepared correctly" or that my parents didn't do the best job of introducing them to me as a child.

That's not true. I don't like seafood because most of it smells and tastes like ass. On the very, very rare occasion I can get past the smell .... I don't know, perhaps it is just the very thought of it, but the taste is unbearably awful; stomach-turning. (FWIW, I think I've actually had seafood as such twice in my entire life)

There are exceptions of course. For whatever reason, I just love (freshly prepared) tunafish salad sandwiches (with onions). Maybe that's just because I learned to like it before I knew what it was, as a child? I fully acknowledge the possibility that my intense dislike for seafood is "all in my head", to the point now that if I know I'm even remotely possibly eating any -- or even in the too-near proximity to it -- (other than the above exception), my stomach turns, as in I get sick.

Which, I'm told, is bad. Seafood is purportedly nutritious and its inclusion as a main part of a diet has many health benefits (or so I'm told). Yet never (apart from the above oddity) I will tolerate it. It is to the point that if I'm eating something unfamiliar/from an unfamiliar cuisine, I scrutinize to make sure there is nothing whatsoever seafood about it. If I even suspect there is any: plate plushed away, I'm done.

It is sometimes a losing battle, for instance when I travel to a coastal city, although even so I refuse it and will travel with trailmix to eat all week if I have to (and I have done just that). My wife likes to go to seafood restaurants, and I thank god there is a "bail out" steak or chicken item every time -- which I will eat even if I don't much care for it.

I don't like seafood. I never will.

Type
    INTP
    Every time I try to eat seafood (which is basically when I want to do something different because I'm bored), I'm always hungry afterwards and wanting something else, it's not satisfying. I've learned to never waste money buying seafood when I go out to eat, aside from some occasional shrimp as a side item.

(One exception: I had this amazing salmon one night at a local expensive restaurant. Damn. It had asparagus and some kind of sauce on it, and some kind of toasted bread underlying it... it was incredible. But someone else was paying. Can't afford that on my own. And I also like good sushi.)

I don't consider tuna salad (which you mentioned) to be seafood, honestly, despite it being from a fish. It's a type of sandwich, hah... unless you eat it on lettuce or plain. But it can be quite good with onions and other things added to it, with the right type of bread (if you're doing sandwiches).

I honestly don't understand why some people have seafood at the top of their food pyramid as an elite class. I suppose I am just a savage, but please just give me a good steak or decent chicken dishes every time.
    Last edited by Charde; 01-03-2014 at 08:45 PM.

Type
    xxxx
    california rolls?

i actually hated seafood as a child and i hated the taste of fish and fish sauce, but it was kinda hard to avoid it after a long time, esp when it's asian food, and i guess i just grew out of my dislike for it. since then i've grown to love (some preparations of) salmon and other fish, crab, lobster, seaweed, etc. i love chinese, japanese and korean seafood and last year i got to try mexican seafood and it was really fucking good. i'm not a picky eater, though. i could give up meat if it wasn't for seafood, and it's also healthy.
    Last edited by jigglypuff; 01-03-2014 at 08:19 PM.

Sysop
    Type
    INTP
    Nothing even suggesting of seafood, including sushi or sush-like "rolls" escapes the turning-of-stomach reflex.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by tele View Post
    .. last year i got to try mexican seafood and it was really fucking good.
    Hmmm. You just reminded me that when I was on my honeymoon in 1992 and went to Cozumel for a week, we ate lunch one day in a literal "hole in the wall" local restaurant (it literally had room for just two 2-seater tables in it), and I got this garlic fish that was pretty amazing. I can't remember what it tasted like, I just remembered I was really surprised at how good it was... especially because I'm not really into seafood.

Type
    INTP
    Unfortunatly I don't either. I've tolerated tuna fish and salmon before for its nutritional benefits but the smell, texture, the look, and everything about it grosses me out. I prefer red meat to any other protein.

Type
    xxxx
    I used to hate seafood too but grilled salmon doesn't have that fishy smell/taste to me. I don't think it's too late to acclimatise to the taste, especially for seafood that isn't so pungent.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    This is too funny because today, at work, some disrespectful piece of shit (pardon the virulence - I have a problem) brought seafood for lunch. I am the furthest you can get away from the kitchen, and I assure you the place is big, but that shit filled the air like a rotten corpse. I asked everyone what that was, it has been so long since I've smelled seafood. I realized I was the only one who found it revolting.

I already know I generally dislike seafood, though. Coming from a line of seafaring ancestors, I guess that's ironic. My grandparents were from Finisterre, Spain ("the end of the world") and they always cooked shellfish and the like, especially octopus. Turns out I am allergic to it, and being an allergy that worsens with age, I can't so much as swallow something tainted with shellfish water. I'll be sick for days.

It isn't totally extreme though. I might have hake or salmon if I'm at someone's house and that's what there is to eat. I dislike the smell but end up finding it quite tolerable, especially pink salmon. But I'm never going to decide on eating that myself. There's also the idea that fish = not red meat. As if it were defined by what it is not. It is not red meat and I don't want to bother with an inferior meat.

I have comparably conflicting feelings about the sea itself. I can't even decide whether I like the smell of it. It repells and captivates me at the same time. Being in the sea is at the same time enjoyable and frightening. The mysterious creatures that live there are in their own separate universe, a universe I have little interest in. It's just too fucking weird. Sea animals are weird and do strange and unpredictable things. I don't trust them.

Type
    INTP
    For some reason I like fish and crabcakes, but I don't like most other types of seafood.

Type
    INTP
    I absolutely love seafood and dislike red meat. There. No way this was going to become an INTP stereotype.

Apparently, not eating red meat makes you live older.