Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Would you still work if you didn't have to?

Type
    INTP
    I would do 'work', but I wouldn't have a job.

Right now I'm sort of interested in permaculture gardening...so I might pursue something along those lines...and help fix stuff for people by using my carpentry skills.

I don't think I'd experience whatever I would do psychologically as 'work'...but I'd definitely do stuff that was useful to myself and to others on varying scales.

Jobs are totally the worst. I mean, they give you money, but they consume so much of your time (usually) that the payoff of using that money is diminished by work-related factors, like being tired, or not getting to see people that are important to you as often, and time/schedule constraints, and just plain dividing your attention between the fleeting inspirations in life that are satisfying to follow, and the down-to-earth mundane problems that you have to deal with in order to retain employment.
    ...the origin of emotional sickness lay in people’s belief that they were their personalities...
    "The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense, not between right and wrong." ~Carl Jung

Type
    IXTP
    If I suddenly became rich I would buy a house in the middle of no where in a rocky mountain forest, where my nearest neighbor is at least 30 miles away. I would have a big hanger like garage where I can work on projects, do some Roy Underhill style woodworking, restore cars, make big monstrous inventions, play with lab grade chemicals, and you know things of that nature.

So in a nutshell if I didn't have to work ever again I would become a very industrious hermit.

Type
    ENTJ
    I find it strange that some people here consider doing something that helps others.

Nobody helps you right now. Then why should you?

Gassy ~ A 'torm is brew'n Catoptric's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Entejay View Post
    I find it strange that some people here consider doing something that helps others.

Nobody helps you right now. Then why should you?
    The idea is that society could push itself ahead rather than become a giant turd biscuit. Too many f'tards would rather control things; might as well have the opposite effect? The problem is when it becomes so entrenched that people would rather escape things than attempt to do anything about it, and all you are left with is the same recursive meaningless pattern of behavior that will become the end of humanity.

Type
    ENTJ
    Quote Originally Posted by Catoptric View Post
    The idea is that society could push itself ahead rather than become a giant turd biscuit. Too many f'tards would rather control things; might as well have the opposite effect? The problem is when it becomes so entrenched that people would rather escape things than attempt to do anything about it, and all you are left with is the same recursive meaningless pattern of behavior that will become the end of humanity.
    It seems like the people who are the most capable of doing something about this do not share your concerns.

Why should it befall on the shoulders of the people like you who are already preoccupied with other concerns that overwhelm you already?

Type
    INTP
    I get help with stuff all the time from people who are unemployed. All the people I know with jobs are too busy...but most people are at least interested in helping.
    ...the origin of emotional sickness lay in people’s belief that they were their personalities...
    "The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense, not between right and wrong." ~Carl Jung

Type
    ENTJ
    Quote Originally Posted by Robcore View Post
    I get help with stuff all the time from people who are unemployed. All the people I know with jobs are too busy...but most people are at least interested in helping.
    Doesn't happen with me. All the people around me are willing to help themselves. Not me.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Entejay View Post
    Doesn't happen with me. All the people around me are willing to help themselves. Not me.
    What sort of help do you need? and what sort of people surround you? Are they people with the ability to give you that sort of help? I mean, I haven't got legal help from an unemployed judge or anything, but people have lent me tools that I've needed, helped me with physical labour, brought us food in the weeks following the birth of our children, etc. etc.

Type
    ENTJ
    What sort of help do you need?
    Financial. Capital.

and what sort of people surround you?
    A.hole sort of people.

Are they people with the ability to give you that sort of help? I mean, I haven't got legal help from an unemployed judge or anything, but people have lent me tools that I've needed, helped me with physical labour, brought us food in the weeks following the birth of our children, etc. etc.
    Well lets see. My dads cousin can easily come up with that capital if he stops playing gambling for a year or so.

Another one is a millionaire. He was looking for a new business to do. I gave him an idea. And he refused to do it because it wasn't what he wanted to do. As if it is him who is going to do it.

Type
    INTP
    Oh, people won't give you money, so you count them as unwilling to help?

You could always do a kickstarter or a gofundme or an indiegogo or whatever if all you need is money. I don't usually think of money as 'help'...I think of money as an alternative to help...like, if you can't do something real for me, you can give me some abstract thing that I can put towards achieving my ends another way.

Also, if you're in need of money, are you unemployed? if so, how are you helping others?