Thread: Sleep Apps

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner

Sleep Apps

Do you use one? Is it useful to you?

Also, how do they work? How does a phone figure out when you're sleeping, how deeply. I'm a bit skeptical myself.

Type
    INtP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Not sure about apps, but I've heard that a Fitbit can pick up (or indicate, rather) signs of sleep disorders such as sleep apnea and REM sleep behavior disorder. It should pick up abnormalities that point you in the right direction, anyway. I don't have one yet, and if you have one, I'm sure you've already tried this sort of stuff out.

Type
    INTP
    I don't know much about them, but I've heard the sleep app Nea is bad, so I'd recommend not getting it.
    --Mention of these things is so taboo, they aren't even allowed a name for the prohibition. It is just not done.

Tawaci ki a Gnaska ki Osito Polar's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    I've had a couple fitness tracker bands. The Garmin one I'm using now tells when I went to bed, if I got up and walked around in the middle of the night, and whether or not I was tossing and turning during the night. Basically that's its definition of "sleeping deeply" -- whether or not you're moving around.
    "I don't have psychological problems." --Madrigal

"When you write about shooting Polemarch in the head, that's more like a first-person view, like you're there looking down the sight of the gun." --Utisz

David Wong, regarding Chicago
    Six centuries ago, the pre-Colombian natives who settled here named this region with a word which in their language means "the Mouth of Shadow". Later, the Iroquois who showed up and inexplicably slaughtered every man, woman and child renamed it "Seriously, Fuck that Place". When French explorer Jacques Marquette passed through the area he marked his map with a drawing of a brownish blob emerging from between the Devil's buttocks.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    I use the free version of Azumio's Sleep Time and I really like it.

Though I too am skeptical about exactly how well it tracks my sleep cycles, it does a good enough job. I notice a difference from when I just set an alarm at a fixed time. I wake up less cranky and less tired. The downside is that if there's a chance you're going to get enough sleep and may wake up on your own, it will be able to tell and go off up to 30 minutes before your alarm is set (not a big deal if you don't have as much of an aversion to alarms as I do, I have to periodically change my alarm sounds because after a while I wake up angry/annoyed by the sound, I'm also one of those people that needs a calm sounding alarm like waves or a harp sound. A few mornings as a teenager (just before apps were even a thing) I would grab my alarm clock and throw it against a wall and yell like some primitive animal).

When there really isn't a chance I'll wake up before the alarm I swear by the app.