Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "Do as I say, not as I do" WTF?!

facta non verba interprétation erronée's Avatar
    Type
    INxx

Question "Do as I say, not as I do" WTF?!

What makes hypocrisy wrong or right? Is it even a moral issue? Is it just lying and what's wrong with that? Does it weaken the hypocrites credibility? What does it say about the person being a hypocrite? Should this be in the psychology forum? Why is my schlong so big? If you respond to this thread you admire it.
    Last edited by interprétation erronée; 05-22-2016 at 08:03 AM.

Mens bona regnum possidet ferrus's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    I think we are hard-wired to find hypocrites morally reprehensible. Because their actions are typically an abuse of social privileges or status that the views they purport to hold grant them.
    Die Logik ist keine Lehre, sondern ein Spiegelbild der Welt. Die Logik ist transcendental. - Wittgenstein

Type
    INTP
    Hypocrisy is not necessarily wrong. However, one of the usual presuppositions for the concept of morality is that the right decision in a given situation is independent of the actual identity of that person. So an advocate for a morality does not follow the morality himself, it's obvious that he doesn't actually believe in the truth of the moral teaching himself. I.e. he's just lying.

In principle though, it could be that different people ought to follow different moralities for the optimal society.
    Violence is never the right answer, unless used against heathens and monsters.

Type
    INTP
    Context is important. If an addict told me, in the midst of his struggle, not to do drugs, I wouldn't really consider him a hypocrite. It's contexts like that where the "do as I say, not as I do" makes sense to me.

Also, I think a lot of people are accidental hypocrites...hating traits in others that they themselves exhibit without realizing. Probably projection of some sort.

as for those who knowingly practice something alternative to what they preach...I'm not sure they're hypocrites, necessarily...just liars. Their internal belief system isn't contradictory...it's the outward strategy that they're employing in order to manipulate. Certainly a worse evil than merely 'not practicing what you preach'.
    ...the origin of emotional sickness lay in people’s belief that they were their personalities...
    "The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense, not between right and wrong." ~Carl Jung

Type
    INTP
    Something I recall reading by this guy once pretty much advanced the argument that anyone who thinks they're actually living by any moral code they overtly espouse is engaging in self-delusion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ptah View Post
    No history, no exposition, no anecdote or argument changes the invariant: we are all human beings, and some humans are idiots.

Type
    INxx
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Mexico View Post
    Something I recall reading by this guy once pretty much advanced the argument that anyone who thinks they're actually living by any moral code they overtly espouse is engaging in self-delusion.
    where can I find more information about this topic?
    Quote Originally Posted by Limes View Post
    Jan Bonclay
    “If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing.” ― Malcolm X

Type
    INxx
    Quote Originally Posted by ferrus View Post
    I think we are hard-wired to find hypocrites morally reprehensible. Because their actions are typically an abuse of social privileges or status that the views they purport to hold grant them.
    edit:

This sociology-based response makes sense.
    Last edited by interprétation erronée; 11-16-2015 at 01:23 AM.
    Jan Bonclay
    “If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing.” ― Malcolm X

Type
    INxx
    Quote Originally Posted by P-O View Post
    In principle though, it could be that different people ought to follow different moralities for the optimal society.
    Why?
    Jan Bonclay

Type
    INTJ
    INTPx Award Winner
    I think of hypocrisy like the eventual convergence of parallel lines. With enough granularity, and with the aid of subjectivity, almost everything can be explained and resolved to remove the impression of hypocrisy, or otherwise explain the action, cause, or intent of apparent hypocrisy.
    The same goes for contradiction.

Type
    INxx
    Quote Originally Posted by Limey View Post
    I think of hypocrisy like the eventual convergence of parallel lines. With enough granularity, and with the aid of subjectivity, almost everything can be explained and resolved to remove the impression of hypocrisy, or otherwise explain the action, cause, or intent of apparent hypocrisy.
    The same goes for contradiction.
    Love your response.
    Jan Bonclay