Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Star

Type
    INTP

Favorite Star

Recently, I have familiarized myself with the Mirach star, which is located in the Andromeda constellation. This is also where Kappa Andromeda b is located; a huge substellar object that has not been classified as a planet or brown dwarf, yet.

Images found at: http://my.sky-map.org/starview?objec...d=256#Articles

I don't have a particular reason for liking it, but I do.

Anyways, I was curious if any other astronomy lovers, had a favorite star.

Type
    INTP
    For a moment I was about to say Harrison Ford, but Betelgeuse and Rigel have always been my favorites. No particular reason either, possibly because they are both gigantic and both have names that don't begin with KY, VX or something like that.

Tawaci ki a Gnaska ki Osito Polar's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Einstein's Cross is my favorite star. It even made it into our site logo -- I think we mentioned that publicly when the site adopted the graphic, but I don't think it's recorded anywhere more recent. The "cross" is refracted light from a distant galaxy, which looks like four images of one celestial body. It's caused by gravitational lensing because on its way from its point of origin the light passes through the region of a quasar.

If we're going for the second definition of star, Robert Downey Jr.
    "I don't have psychological problems." --Madrigal

"When you write about shooting Polemarch in the head, that's more like a first-person view, like you're there looking down the sight of the gun." --Utisz

David Wong, regarding Chicago
    Six centuries ago, the pre-Colombian natives who settled here named this region with a word which in their language means "the Mouth of Shadow". Later, the Iroquois who showed up and inexplicably slaughtered every man, woman and child renamed it "Seriously, Fuck that Place". When French explorer Jacques Marquette passed through the area he marked his map with a drawing of a brownish blob emerging from between the Devil's buttocks.

Type
    INTP
    Oh yeah, I took me a second to remember Betelgeuse; I always called it "Beetle Juice".

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by SimplyRivers View Post
    Oh yeah, I took me a second to remember Betelgeuse; I always called it "Beetle Juice".
    LOL. Yeah, and Rigel is the little, fat, furry floating guy on Farscape

Type
    INTP
    Lore wise, Algol - an variable eclipsing binary in the constellation Perseus, also known as the demon star. I named my WoW warlock after it (since retired).

Naked eye wise, I think my favorite stars are those of the summer triangle; Vega, Deneb, and Altair. When I see the summer triangle, it's usually pleasant outside.

Persona Oblongata OrionzRevenge's Avatar
    Type
    INtP
    Betelgeuse

It was fun to say even before the movie
    Easy to locate and compare the Red Super Giant to nearby bright stars
    Fun to tell people about how big it is

Betelgeuse
    Betelgeuse is a red supergiant which is the ninth brightest star (the brightest star in the sky is the Sirius) in the night sky and second brightest in the constellation of Orion. This star is 640 light years away from Earth with 20 times more mass than the Sun. Betelgeuse radius is about 820,700,000 km. Red supergaints that have the same age as Betelguese are expected to end its life soon. It’s radius excess 1200 times that of our Sun. Surface temperature is approximately 3,600 K.
    Creativity is the residue of time wasted. ~ Albert Einstein

Type
    INFP
    I enjoy the sun.

Glimpses do ye seem to see of that mortally intolerable truth; that all deep, earnest thinking is but the intrepid effort of the soul to keep the open independence of her sea; while the wildest winds of heaven and earth conspire to cast her on the treacherous, slavish shore?

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by MoneyJungle View Post
    I enjoy the sun.
    Here's a little sunshine, for you!!

Type
    INTP
    I also like to try to imagine the really big stars. This is one of my favorite infographics:

The biggest stars have a radius that would stretch from the sun out past Jupiter!