Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Favorite Star

Type
    INTJ
    INTPx Award Winner
    I used to like Polaris, but then I learned that it helped to free a load of slaves, so now I like Sirius instead. It's the brightest, it's `uge, and very classy and it is an honor for Sirius to represent my taste in celestial bodies.

Gassy ~ A 'torm is brew'n Catoptric's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Sirius is one of the more interesting stars, mostly because of all the odd stuff associated with it.

Orion's belt and Sirius comprise a significant influence through ancient astrological constructs (buildings have significant correlation to seasonal transition's, etc.) Polaris is also a double star and is nearly as intriguing for the same reason, and probably far more significant due to being a celestial pole. Likewise all of the constellations are aligned to it.

Aldebaran also stands out.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Penguinhunter View Post
    I also like to try to imagine the really big stars. This is one of my favorite infographics:

The biggest stars have a radius that would stretch from the sun out past Jupiter!
    Yes, I love seeing comparisons:

About 9 billion suns would fit in VY Canis Majoris, and a million Earths would fit in our sun.

Type
    INTP
    I like Achernar for looking like a football.

Type
    iNtP
    washington... this sometimes changes withought planning...
    alnilam

when i was a kid my mom told me that she figured God may come from a large black hole near orion's belt (think second coming scenario)... http://www.skyandtelescope.com/astro...hole-in-orion/ ... she told me it was just a bit to the right of alnilam (no, she didn't know it's name)... at some point during childhood i started thinking of the middle star of the belt as mine... sometime around middle school i told people that was the case, even offering to fight anyone that wanted to say contrary... i asked her about it later in life... she didn't recall saying it, but was able to trace a line to what might have made her say that...

post script:

she is a seventh day adventist... http://www.whiteestate.org/vez/jul08...you%20know.htm
    Last edited by Obfuscate; 08-01-2016 at 07:24 AM. Reason: additional information added...

Type
    INTP
    For observing through a modest telescope, Albireo. For one thing, it's easy to find, the star at the bottom of the cross in the constellation Cygnus. It resolves into a beautiful binary star with one golden star and an electric blue star. This picture does not do justice to what you see through the eyepiece. The two stars orbit a common center of gravity every 100,000 years and the gold star is actually a close binary star itself.

If you go to any summer star party and ask to see this, chances are the guy running the scope will have no trouble at all showing it to you. A nice refractor will give the best view but newtonians and cats will be almost as good.

Proxima Centauri - It's close, has some life potential, will be around long after our star dies, and will likely be the first star other than our own we'll get to know in any great detail. Plus: The Last Starfighter.
    Quote Originally Posted by whatloveihave View Post
    I don't find you a potential threat to human society, you're not crazy. Feces.

Type
    INTJ
    INTPx Award Winner
    Definitely Arcturus for its red-hot glow in summer and its ice-blue flickering during winter. Never knew it was the same star until I checked with an app.

Type
    INTP
    Betelgeuse, it's kinda funny to see an angry red star in a group of more cool ones.