Thread: The AI Apocalypse Thread

Type
    INTP

The AI Apocalypse Thread

So I keep hearing things about the coming Artificial Super Intelligence Apocalypse...

The AI Revolution

Apparently lots of very smart people think that this is really a thing, but I dunno...

TL;DR The future is either going to be a trans-human utopia or the plot of 2001: A Space Odyssey where the space ship is the planet earth and HAL wins.

There are a couple of problems I have with this. As usual, rather than doing my own research, I'm just going to toss it before the collective INTP brain for it to be chewed upon.

These are the things that are tripping me up --

1. Nanotechnology. It seems like nanotech should work more like enzymes and less like Star Trek replicators. It just doesn't seem like it will be that easy to just rearrange atoms and molecules however you wish, as if the nanotech is a super-tiny kid clicking together atomic legos. Maybe I'm missing something.

2. The Prime Directive. I'm down with the idea that an artificial super intelligence will be utterly alien to a human intelligence, but the idea that it will just blindly follow its original programming... Maybe it's just too much of the classic techno horror story for me to take it seriously. It seems more likely that something totally different and unpredictable will happen.

3. That this is a problem worth worrying about. If we really do create a god beyond our comprehension, what is the point of worrying about the subsequent heaven or hell? It will be totally beyond our control.

Which begs the question... What do y'all think? What do you think artificial super intelligence would really be like? Can we or should we worry about this now? And are nanotechnology replicators really in our future?

Type
    INTP
    It's a thing, but there's an easy solution. Just don't connect it to the internet and it will be fine.
    Violence is never the right answer, unless used against heathens and monsters.

Type
    INTP
    Skynet Awareness Day is fast approaching.