Page 88 of 91 FirstFirst ... 38788687888990 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you reading?

Type
    INTP
    Utilitarianism by John Stuart Mill.

Simultaneously matter of fact, clever, dry, and humane. I pretty much agree with everything he says, so it's kind of boring overall, but the rational progression of his argument is still pleasurable.

I think JSM would fit in quite well on a modern discussion board.

Type
    XXXX
    A bit recursive and deceptively titled. It's more a conservation manifesto for the part of the west he moved to, but it's still good. I admire Rick Bass's spirit and his words have inspired me to consider many other things.

"Long live the weeds and the wilderness!"

chaotic neutral shitpost
    Type
    xxxx
    the vegetarian by han kang, translated by deborah smith

enjoying it, esp the first part, but i was annoyed by a scene in the middle that made this selection for man booker international prize come across as really “western gaze”-y to me, since i read another book that won a few years ago with a very similar scene involving an asian woman. almost an identical scene really, and pretty central to the storyline.

that’s not a knock on the book or the author.
    Last edited by jigglypuff; 05-11-2018 at 09:03 PM.
    WORKJIGGLYPLAY
    HARDxBUTTxHARD

Telling people I'm reading this is akin to announcing I will never finish it and my stated goals are all hot air. At least it's cheaper than community college.

Type
    INTP
    I'm about a 1/3 of the way through the Glass Bead Game and my eyes are glazing over. I just don't care to continue. Hasn't struck me the way Hesse's earlier work has.

The Aenid is kind of meh but I may stick with it.

Starting Joyce's Ulysses and loving it already. Don't know why I slept on that for so long.
    "All my heroes are dead" - John Zorn

"It's not selfish if you hate yourself"

Type
    intp
    Quote Originally Posted by MoneyJungle View Post
    I'm on the third book of the Expanse Series by James A. Correy. Surely, somebody else on the forum has read these. I like to have an easy genre book going all the time to pick up and space out for a while and these books are serviceable. Good enough to keep reading but more of a placeholder for a genuine page-turning series I wish I was reading. The concept is really cool and there are lots of interesting possibilities but the execution is pretty lackluster. The introduction of new characters in each book is pretty cumbersome. Is it worth sticking with this series? Maybe I'll try the Mazalan series again.
    I just finished the latest book in the series (Persopolis Rising) and tbh I wasn't that impressed. I think the series loses steam pretty soon and the last several books just seemed to be rehashing the same tired themes with just different settings. Hard to imagine there's going to be another 2 books at least.

Then again, I did read the whole damn series, so there's that. They're very easy reading I suppose and do easily hook you.

Type
    INTJ
    INTPx Award Winner
    I'm starting Lolita by Nabokov.

chaotic neutral shitpost
    Type
    xxxx
    the posthuman dada guide by andrei codrescu

hunger by knut hamsun
    WORKJIGGLYPLAY
    HARDxBUTTxHARD

Type
    intp
    Quote Originally Posted by flurps View Post
    Telling people I'm reading this is akin to announcing I will never finish it and my stated goals are all hot air. At least it's cheaper than community college.
    It's doable. The most challenging thing is the tedium, which is an aspect of all CompTIA certs but A+ isn't a bad launching point. Once you read the whole thing start doing practice tests (not just the ones that come with the book).

Type
    INTP
    Three Moments of an Explosion by China Mieville.

It was a gift from someone at some point. (Not recent, as I've forgotten.)

It's not bad, but like, what is the big deal with China Mieville?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ptah View Post
    No history, no exposition, no anecdote or argument changes the invariant: we are all human beings, and some humans are idiots.