Page 105 of 106 FirstFirst ... 55595103104105106 LastLast
Results 1,041 to 1,050 of 1057

Thread: What are you reading?

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by oxyjen View Post
    I very much enjoyed Far From The Tree. I would wager that the book takes on extra significance for parents--or at least, the child-free me would not connect with the book as much.

I haven't read his book The Noonday Demon. I keep thinking I'll get around to it and never have. Did you read this one and have a comparison as to how it ranks to "Far From.."?

ETA: Tangentially--there is a documentary "Far From the Tree" made. I watched a bit of it on Hulu. The initial impression suggests different families profiled (or perhaps my memory for the book is terrifically awful?) with the same general themes; however I prefer the book.
    I have not read it yet. So many books, so little time.
    "All my heroes are dead" - John Zorn

"It's not selfish if you hate yourself"

Type
    INTJ
    V. by Pynchon

I feel like I picked up Moneyjungle's Navy romance fiction so far, but it's early days yet as it keeps putting me to sleep.
    لعق كس بلدي وبلدي الكراك

Now we know... Asteroids Champion ACow's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Birthday of the World and other stories by Ursula Leguin.

I'd previously just finished some of the other short story anthologys by Leguin, as well as by China Mieville (after being influenced by EmbassyTown which is genuinely good).

However, reading this one emphasises how Leguin is just in another class and makes Mieville's collection look positively amateurish, and motivated me to make this post.

EVERY. SINGLE. STORY. IN THIS ONE IS WORTH IT ON ITS OWN MERITS. I don't expect that of short story collections, but that's how this one is.

Type
    INTP
    High IQ and mental illness

*edit: I just realized the URL didn't show as a hyperlink due to selecting the email script tag.

Looking into Highclere castle I found out it was the location presented in the series 'Downton Abbey' and I decided to look at the historical accuracy of it, where apparently it corrects the nature of how the servant class would have been interacted with and abused; the Poem - The Ruined Maid by Thomas Hardy comes to mind.

The show is also available to watch on Amazon Prime though I may not watch much of it if it's more dramatized, as the only period drama was Wolf Hall which I would rewatch if it was still free to view, and for the most part seemed fairly accurate in the portrayal. I suspect that Downtown Abbey is hesitant to portray the nobles in a negative light because many of them still identify with the characters, and some are still alive such as Prince Philip.
    Last edited by Catoptric; 01-05-2020 at 07:10 PM.

Type
    INTP
    Melmoth the Wanderer by Charles Maturin (1820)

Gothic romance?

WTF. How did I just find out about this amazing book?
    Quote Originally Posted by Hephaestus View Post
    Heh. We've been here years now.

Type
    INTP
    THE JEWS, THE MASONS AND THE FRENCH REVOLUTION

Supposedly Russia acquired a significant library on Freemasonry during WWII from France. I recall when Ukraine was being invaded by Russia covertly, a Russian military veteran was talking about America being Jews and Freemasons, and often the correlation is made time and again, which would correspond to why America is considered a Masonic nation and not a true Christian based one as they pretend to be, and why the US spends a significant amount of money on Israel.

A lot of really odd comparisons to the American and French Revolution can be made, and the Statue of Liberty has a lot of occult symbolism.

Type
    INTP
    I just read "redeployment" which is pretty fantastic. It feels very authentic, very poignant.

I'm reading "Matterhorn" and holy shit was Vietnam fucked up. What a nightmare. Just a fucking brutal and kafkaesque existence.

Type
    Intp
    The order of time by Carlo Rovelli
    I am a bitter pill to swallow

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Madrigal View Post
    Melmoth the Wanderer by Charles Maturin (1820)

Gothic romance?

WTF. How did I just find out about this amazing book?
    I'm convinced this priest (who wrote the book) was a secret anarchist.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hephaestus View Post
    Heh. We've been here years now.