Page 106 of 107 FirstFirst ... 65696104105106107 LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,060 of 1063

Thread: What are you reading?

Type
    INTP
    I was getting bored of the other books I'm juggling (Lincoln in the Bardo, Ada or Ardor) and grabbed Ulysses again where I left off. Enjoying it more, though this still reads like a rambling journal written several pints deep the whole time.
    "All my heroes are dead" - John Zorn

"It's not selfish if you hate yourself"

Type
    INTP
    "Extreme Ownership" Jocko Willink. Good lessons on leadership, trying to apply some of it to my own pursuit of self-improvement.

"A Long Way Gone: Memoirs of a Boy Soldier" it's alien to me. I feel like it was written by someone on another planet. I'm grateful for where I am.

"All About Love: New Visions" by Bell Hooks. I'm reading this together with someone very special to me. I'm only through the first chapter but it feels like the most important thing I've read in a very long time.

Type
    INFP
    Quote Originally Posted by pensive_pilgrim View Post
    "A Long Way Gone: Memoirs of a Boy Soldier" it's alien to me. I feel like it was written by someone on another planet. I'm grateful for where I am.
    I read that book a long time ago and the horror is still etched in my brain. He's a brilliant writer.

Type
    ENTP
    front burner (my primary bag): Fragrant by Mandy Aftel. profiles of cinnamon, mint, frankincense, ambergris, and jasmine. good, leisurely. nothing too compelling, but i already know a lot of the material. conversational tone reminds me of Bill Bryson.

back burner (secondary bags): Impro by Robert Johnston; nominally about acting but really about liberating your creative self. The Book of Incense by Shoyeido; history of incense, global but mainly focused on the East, namely, Japan.

confirmed abandoned, recent: My Name Is Red by Orhan Pamuk. i bought it to pass the time on the NY subway when i was there for the holidays. i did enjoy it and have been carrying it around for downtime, but there was the constant frustration of not being sure which character was which because a lot of them shared honorifics and had similar names. certainty was never on the horizon.
    Last edited by MCIV; 02-06-2020 at 10:21 AM.

Type
    INTP
    This is a really good book. I was worried it was just going to rehash a bunch of stuff I already knew, but it has a lot of new data and summarizes a lot of incredibly interesting experiments. Although I was already aware that one's microbiome is important, this book expands that perspective considerably by exploring (via exploration of peer reviewed research) this view throughout the history of life on the planet.

https://www.amazon.com/Contain-Multi...=UTF8&qid=&sr=
    Insults are effective only where emotion is present. -- Spock, "Who Mourns for Adonais?" Stardate 3468.1.

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. -- Aristotle

This SEP field is glorious!

chaotic neutral shitpost jigglypuff's Avatar
    Type
    xxxx
    schema therapy: a practitioner’s guide by young, klosko, weishaar

this book is the secret to the universe to me, holy shit. if i was a therapist (lolol) i’d like to specialize in this probably.
    FUCK SHIT

Type
    INTP
    Kundalini: Psychosis or Trandcendence by Lee Sannella, M.D.

I found the name of a document being mentioned in this CIA document, and can't be sure it's not referencing the info in the book.

Type
    INTP
    1493 by Charles Mann

I read 1491 a few years back and enjoyed the author's new (to me) perspectives on the Americas prior to European contact. This book, predictably, traces some of the larger threads in how the world changed. Topics include world trade (much of the silver from South America ended up in China), agriculture (the potato ended regular famines in Europe until the blight) etc.

The account of the early years of the Jamestown settlement were particularly fascinating. The colony was a human grinder for the first few decades and survival hinged on the cooperation of the native tribes. Some bit of my ancestors - the ones who gave me my last name - came to America here from Europe. I think I'd like to read a more comprehensive history of this particular time and place.

Type
    INTP
    East of Eden is amazing.
    "All my heroes are dead" - John Zorn

"It's not selfish if you hate yourself"