Thread: Size matters?

Type
    intp

Size matters?

I've been working for a bank, about 100 employees, a few branches, where I do systems administration. I'm good but I shouldn't be doing systems administration for a bank. Place is a nightmare, basically every horror story you can conjure up about stereotypically bad work environments. They pay the bottom dollar for everything, have the wrong people doing the wrong jobs, workplace politics are a nightmare, everyone hates the company, and to top it all of, it's run by Koreans. I was hired on at an underpaid wage, and in 3 months I wound up getting a promotion in duty (the guy above me quit), but 2 months later and I still haven't received the promotion in title or salary that was promised, even though I'm supervising someone now.

Anyway, I've been thinking this whole time how I need to say fuck this shit to these small-timers, and find myself working for a Fortune 500. Dell, Microsoft, Amazon, one of them. But just today I received a job offer from a consulting firm that offered to pay 144% what I'm making now, for basically doing the same shit (with better technology). But it's literally 5 guys. Which is obviously the exact opposite of what I've been intending.

I don't think I'm going to turn it down. I could, but... it would be stupid, I think. I've talked to them a lot and we seem to get along. But still, I can't get over the feeling that I need to work for one of the major players to really matter. Everyone I know that has really achieved excellence in what they do has a background with IBM, Microsoft, or both. But they also had that experience at the beginning of their careers and then moved to smaller companies later. At this point, I'm wondering if it's too late.

Does anyone have any relevant experience with this? Do you prefer larger companies or smaller?

Mens bona regnum possidet ferrus's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Smaller, generally. I tend not to give a shit once there is a lot of bureaucracy.
    Die Logik ist keine Lehre, sondern ein Spiegelbild der Welt. Die Logik ist transcendental. - Wittgenstein

Type
    INTJ
    INTPx Award Winner
    Smaller, I've worked for a few you listed and they sucked. In-fact, with IT consulting, the tryhards who want to be a big fish in a big pond are the kind you want to stay away from, they're like sociopaths.

Type
    intp
    Quote Originally Posted by Limey View Post
    Smaller, I've worked for a few you listed and they sucked. In-fact, with IT consulting, the tryhards who want to be a big fish in a big pond are the kind you want to stay away from, they're like sociopaths.
    It's really hard to know the tryhards from the good ones. At this size, there's virtually no information on them that's easily accessible. Not even a Glassdoor review.

I feel like it's a leap of faith, but at least the salary justifies this one.

Now we know... Asteroids Champion ACow's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Smaller.

I'm just going to put it short and bluntly: if you think the big boys are bastions of excellence, come back and talk after you've dealt with them.

I'm not saying don't work for/with them, but if you go in thinking they're better than others on a skill/technical/workplace level, reality is gonna hit you square in the face. Hard.

Will it help to have a big name on your resume? Sure. But many of them treat their employees like shit because they have an infinite supply of naive newbs/sociopaths ready to stab their mother in the face to get in, and the conditions can almost be like hazing.

Of course , within such big ecosystem, the little specifics in your pond will probably matter more than the temperature of the entire ocean.
    The way to use the big guys, if you're not a sociopath, and you absolutely must, is to use them to some other purpose like they use you...

Look, it does also depend on what you want from the job. I can't stand travelling for work, but several I know work with big guys specifically because they can general ly flout international immigration law (it's been built specifically for them) and they want to work overseas.

/be aware I am very sick today

I've worked small, medium and megacorp. Small and medium are good. The large experience was cold, impersonal and bureaucratic as expected and felt vaguely like a cult around a brand. As above, looks good on a resume but I have no desire to repeat.

Type
    xxxx
    One more for SMALL. You'll work more, but you actually Get Shit Done. And the slave/master relationship is less pronounced.

Generally speaking, all large financial companies, are myopically decades in the past. Even alot of the bitcoin firms.

I work as a peon at a large insurance/financial corp and the millionaire baby boomers running the place won't even look at me except for glances of disgust. On the other hand, I only work a couple of hours a day and nobody seems to care. So, there's trade offs. I'd rather work for the government honestly but yeah, small might be nice if work is the focus of your life and not just a way to subsidize being a complete deviant like yours truly.