Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 24 types of INTP theory retrofit

Type
    xNxx

24 types of INTP theory retrofit

I think most of you are probably familiar with my classic troll thread that has now gone to China and back "the 24 subtypes of INTP".

It was originally conceived as a way to poke fun at the combinatorial (?) nature of the MBTI, by adding the layer of permutation. Beyond that, the only theory I had in mind was "think of the first letter as the most important part of that person's mixture, and that which would be more important to them." Really, I guess it's not too much more zany than the MBTI.

However, it really runs roughshod over the functions. Or does it?

Anyway, this thread is in service of Deckard's request, and to maybe draw some traffic here. If we can make sense of my inspiration, I fling it open to the crowds.

All I ask is a tiny golden skyscraper in 80 years when it turns into the next scientology.

Type
    xNxx
    Quote Originally Posted by Deckard View Post
    If the test was aimed at people who were already diagnosed as INTP, you'd only need 3 questions to differentiate between those 24 subtypes. I.e. first question narrows down to one of the 4 main groups, next question to narrow down to the second dominant letter, final question to differentiate the remaining two subtypes. It would be a challenge to create effective questions since the distinctions are all fairly subtle, and INTPs tend to express traits of all/most of the subtypes. But as someone else noted, it doesn't have to be accurate, as long as it's fun.
    Ah! Smart. *pinches Deckard's smart little cheeks*

Well, then we need questions that weigh the letters against each other. In the rawest sense:

1. Would you rather think or intuit?
    2. Would you rather procrastinate or be alone?
    3. Would you rather [answer from 1.] or [answer from 2.]

Put it on sliders, there you go. Find a way from discouraging "even" preference, like 25% of each, 50% of any two, 33% of any three.

Type
    INTP
    I think for better contrast between the subtypes you'd want a question for each branch of the tree. I.e. each person only experiences 3 questions in series, but those questions depend on their answer to the previous one.

This is what I came up with as a rough first question. Right now it's not worded as a question, more a "which of these do you identify most with" type thing:

p-type:
    try anything / high openness / see the world in subtle shades of grey

n-type:
    patterns & connections jump out (whether they're really there or not), overactive imagination, free-association

i-type:
    protective barriers between self & other people; socially anxious

t-type:
    focused on complex systems: figuring out the rules underlying apparent complexity, or solving the unsolved

Feel free to correct / refine.

Type
    xNxx
    So I'd propose the test weigh each pair:

1. think ……….. procrastinate
    2. intuit ……….. procrastinate
    3. be alone …….. procrastinate
    4. think ……….. intuit
    5. think ……….. be alone
    6. intuit ………. be alone

lol

SO, we need only to find real world situations for each of those scenarios that would prioritize one over the other. Maybe 3- 4 versions of each to average out various people's idiosyncrasies.

Type
    xNxx
    Quote Originally Posted by Deckard View Post
    I think for better contrast between the subtypes you'd want a question for each branch of the tree. I.e. each person only experiences 3 questions in series, but those questions depend on their answer to the previous one.

This is what I came up with as a rough first question. Right now it's not worded as a question, more a "which of these do you identify most with" type thing:

p-type:
    try anything / high openness / see the world in subtle shades of grey

n-type:
    patterns & connections jump out (whether they're really there or not), overactive imagination, free-association

i-type:
    protective barriers between self & other people; socially anxious

t-type:
    focused on complex systems: figuring out the rules underlying apparent complexity, or solving the unsolved

Feel free to correct / refine.
    I like it… I think the i-type needs to be more positive though, about "independence" etc.

Type
    xNxx
    The only thing I have against your tree test over my scenario test is that yours may lead them to expect a particular answer, and "show the hand" of the theory prematurely. With the scenarios, it could be more of a magic trick.

I do, however, prefer that yours is a choose your own adventure.

What if it were even more like a choose your own adventure?

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by stuck View Post
    The only thing I have against your tree test over my scenario test is that yours may lead them to expect a particular answer, and "show the hand" of the theory prematurely. With the scenarios, it could be more of a magic trick.

I do, however, prefer that yours is a choose your own adventure.

What if it were even more like a choose your own adventure?
    Yeah each approach has its pros & cons. What about a choose your own adventure style branching test, followed by the weighted sliders magic trick (or whatever), with the results being integrated on the backend?

Type
    xNxx
    What would be an example of your first question- the one that determines the largest preference?

Type
    INTP
    Ok, how's this for question #1 in the choose-your-own-adventure:

It's 40,000 B.C., the Paleolithic period, and for the past year you have been wandering the wilderness alone. Your solo survivalist skills have developed, but life is hard. Today you encountered a small tribe who are friendly and welcoming but clearly not the strongest or most effective tribe in the region. Despite their hospitality, they seem a little naive. You are faced with a decision:
    1. You decide to move along and continue down your self-reliant solitary path. [100% I] [40% P]
    2. You've noticed the tribe lacks expertise in survivalism, weapons crafting and hunting strategy, and you think you can teach them something and point out what they're doing wrong. You decide to join the tribe as a technical advisor of sorts. [100% T] [30% N]
    3. You decide to take a gamble and style yourself as a shaman despite having virtually no experience, with the intention of advising, manipulating and directing the tribe's future. [100% N] [20% P]
    4. You decide to join the tribe, but instead of committing to a role, you keep your cards to your chest until a good opportunity presents itself. [100% P] [20% I] [20% T]
    Last edited by Deckard; 01-05-2014 at 11:48 AM.

Type
    xNxx
    Lol, pretty good.