Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920

Thread: Gardening & Botany Thread

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Sorry bout the floor but I was just painting the room.

So I made a little cage to put over the plant for its hours of sleep while I'm gone. That's the skeleton, I'm in the process of covering it in black bags. :/ Like I'm just tying the bags on and hoping for the best. My twin will be in charge of the plant and I can't ask her to carry the plant every day to the closet. She's had a crappy attitude about the whole thing. I fear for the plant. Seriously, she just doesn't give a shit, the phase is critical, and the owner is returning on March 3! What kind of psychopath goes on holiday during the enture bloom phase of a plant? It requires more maintenance than a pet. The only reason why she's gonna smoke this whole thing by herself is because I don't smoke, otherwise I'd basically be entitled to some bud here.

When I told her she'll be able to keep the cage when she comes to pick it up, she said that's great because she'll put the bags on at night and remove the bags during the day and keep the cage on. So her cat won't eat the plant.

My head = exploding.

I'm like... that's nice but I already tied the bags on and I don't have the time to make a whole sophisticated curtain mechanism so she can use the cage as shade and as protection from her cat. So now she seems to be kinda offended at my tone. I don't have time for this.

Anyway these are gonna be the last pics before my sister neglects it.

Everything under heaven is in utter chaos; the situation is excellent. - Mao

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Behold the nute burn.

The yellow tips mean I've over-fertilized. I did so consciously thinking it needed a kick. It didn't really; all the leaves were green when I got back after 20 days in Chile. The problem is that the plant looked really bald, like a bunch of leaves had fallen off. So in an attempt to do something nice for the plant, I overdosed it with nutes. The plant started growing more leaves, more buds, and generally looking much better, but I am now noticing these burnt tips. I'm thinking of maybe trying to flush the soil a bit tomorrow but nothing too drastic.

I should be harvesting it in three weeks so there's still time to screw it all up. The legit owner of this plant will come to see it tomorrow, I'm going to insist she leave it here with me until cutting.

Everything under heaven is in utter chaos; the situation is excellent. - Mao

Type
    INTP
    Aside from still having a foot or so of snow on the ground, my garden is off to a fun start this year. My first experiment with seed saving is underway...my true potato seeds are germinating at a lovely rate!...and I didn't follow any directions for saving the seeds...I just collected several berries from my plants, and from a few varieties that my grandpa had growing at his place, then I squished them on some brown paper and spread out the seeds & let them dry out in the sun a bit....once they were dry, I scraped/peeled them off the paper(the gel-like stuff they were suspended in inside the berries basically hardened like glue), and I tossed them in a zip-loc baggie and left them on a windowsill for most of the fall/winter, save for a few weeks in a dark closet(once I realized I'd forgotten about them on the windowsill). I planted them, thinking it would be a failed experiment...but I'm rather surprised at the germination rate. I'll have to post some images of them, soon.
    I've come across a number of farmers who didn't know that you could grow potatoes from seed, as they'd always just propagated plants via cut potatoes that sprouted...and many potato strains don't even produce berries anymore, anyway. To grow from seed means that you get genetic diversity/variation in the strains, and supposedly, within 2 or 3 seasons of doing this, you can get a strain that is more or less optimized for your local growing conditions.

The way our snow is failing to melt, I'm a little concerned about whether I'll be able to transplant them before they outgrow their tray...so the experiment could still fail...but we'll see...I'll definitely do a few plants in the potato grow-bags, but I'd prefer to have them in my native ground soil.
    ...the origin of emotional sickness lay in people’s belief that they were their personalities...
    "The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense, not between right and wrong." ~Carl Jung

I've started a window garden in my little apartment. I have south-facing windows with great light, so hopefully my plants will be happy. As of this evening, I have a tomato, an eggplant, some basil, and a little habanero. We'll see if I can coax them to produce anything. I'm using terra cotta pots and full sun.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    When I weed my flower gardens, I only pull weeds that I recognize. If I don't recognize it, I let it grow until I can figure out what it is, then I decide whether or not to keep it. I call it my darwingarden, in that I try out all kinds of stuff every year and keep or replant things that work well and don't cry over what doesn't...I've adopted this practice after having some long established stuff fall victim to changing weather patterns. I don't use anything in it that will harm bees and butterflies, and I use my compost pile to fertilize. I've got so many different things competing that I don't have to worry about any one thing killing it all. It's a chaotic and colorful flower garden, and the butterflies and bees love it. Around midsummer, it is swarming with various butterflies.

I've got a nice self-propagating population of blanket flowers going as a result of my practice of keeping strange weeds, and this year I have a new addition -- eastern black nightshade! I don't know why it amuses me so much to have nightshade growing in my garden. Probably because it sounds way scarier than it is to the uninformed. It was once heavily used in the making of medicines for psoriasis and hemorrhoids (topical application), but no one has tested the effectiveness using modern scientific methods. Still, might be good to know for the apocalypse.
    Insults are effective only where emotion is present. -- Spock, "Who Mourns for Adonais?" Stardate 3468.1.

I'm not avoiding socializing I'm helping socializing avoid me! --MoneyJungle

chaotic neutral shitpost
    Type
    xxxx

i read that VFTs do just fine outdoors in my climate all year round, so i left these out in the summer (did great) and they're going to stay outdoors plants.

pretty low-maintenance.

i'd like to acquire a few more and make a mini-bog with them this winter or whenever i find the time. that's gonna require rescuing some pretty sad-looking plants at my local gardening store but it's gonna be a fun project and i can't wait.

Spoiler: inspiration

(but with all flytraps, i think.)
    Last edited by jigglypuff; 11-04-2017 at 10:52 PM.
    I was fine when I came, and fine when I left.

Type
    intp
    In the past I've killed everything. This summer I was a bit late, but thought I'd throw something into the grow to see what happens. I got a basil plant and a chilli plant. I also put in some basil plant seeds around here, but none of them really came up. I did nothing to the soil. I guess maybe it wasn't right for them, or they got sizzled when we had a few heat waves stroll through.

Something is eating the basil leaves a little bit. I've been too distracted to do anything about it.

I'm pretty happy with how that chilli plant has gone. It's got little flowers on the top, and so maybe it will sometime start to make the edible stuff (I don't know what the progression is).

So, given that they seem to be not dying, I bought a few other things. I wasn't that sure what to get, but I think I'll just continually fill up the small space with stuff. I got more basil, four tomato plants, and some parsely. I think I want to get a few more tomato plants (hoping it's not too late in the season) and just see what they do.