Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Gardening & Botany Thread

Retired
    Type
    XXXX

Gardening & Botany Thread

This might not get much mileage as INTPs aren't exactly notorious for their green thumb (or regular remembrance of watering etc.), but here goes: Post your plants!

Retired
    Type
    XXXX
    I just repotted two of mine for fun and because they needed it:

Apple tree, ca. one year old. I grew it from a sprouted seed I found in an apple I bought (can't remember the variety, however). For lack of a balcony, and a landlady insisting that a plastic flower pot on a first floor windowsill is a lethal hazard, I overwintered it in the fridge. I'm curious as to whether it will sprout this spring. The close-up shows some promising nodes.

That, I don't even know what that is. I bought it from a flower shop when the whole thing – the old pot (not shown) included – was maybe three inches in height. It was tiny. Not even the florist knew what it was. It doesn't look like anything that is going to flower.

Edit: FOUND IT - apparently it's a particularly ugly, etiolated specimen of Peperomia pereskiifolia.

Some ordinary kind of Chamaedorea, presumably. I'm a little limited in my choice of house plants (at least in the living room) as they need to be non-poisonous in case the bird decides to go on a plant-munching spree.

One of my favourites, a Radermachera sinica. It obviously needs some pruning (and more light). I frequently forget to water it, which it comments by shedding loads of foliage.
    Last edited by Sappho; 02-14-2016 at 04:49 PM.

Type
    INTP
    Yesterday one of my pomegranate seeds finally germinated/sprouted...part of an experiment, because as far as I know, nobody has ever grown pomegranates here...though it's supposedly agricultural zone 8A, which is doable for pomegranates. The idea is to eventually have an edible, low maintenance, hedge. I'm hoping that more of them will start popping in the next few days. One of the things that I found appealing about pomegranates (besides, well, pomegranate fruit) is that they're fairly resilient and resistant to drought. A low maintenance perennial that I hope to incorporate into a permaculture food forest around my property in the coming years.

I think I'm going to add sage and garlic to my strawberry beds this year, too...they supposedly have roots that grow at different depths, draw different nutrients, and replenish beneficial characteristics of the soil for one another...plus planting several types of plants together supposedly increases pest resistance (eg. sage discourages the pests that like strawberries, and strawberries discourage the pests that like sage)...polyculture gardening.

This sort of gardening also decreases the amount of maintenance that a garden requires because it helps to create microclimates that help to preserve the moisture and to enrich the soil in the same manner that nature does in the wild.

My mission for now is to track down all of the edible perennials that can succeed in ag zone 8A, and to make a several-year plan for what my forest will consist of, with consideration for the different PH levels that the plants like, and for the shadows that they'll cast (I'll use fruit trees to shade the house in the summer and to let in light during the winter, plus to provide dappled shade for plants that prefer such conditions.

I pretty much have 100' x 25' to work with for now...so it'll have to be pretty dense in the end.
    This planning resource is designed for acreages, but it's a pretty useful guide to things that I want nevertheless: http://www.backyardabundance.org/Por...yTemplates.pdf

If I can pay off my mortgage in the next 8 years, and spawn a high-yield food forest, and maybe invest in a bit of solar energy, I'll be a happy self-sustainer with plenty of time and money to live a good INTP-accomodating lifestyle.

We have some inside plants, too...but my wife got rid of the spider plant last year, and that's really the only one that I liked. I'm thinking I might try an indoor citrus producing shrub at some point, though...just have to decide on a spot for it where the kids won't destroy it.
    ...the origin of emotional sickness lay in people’s belief that they were their personalities...
    "The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense, not between right and wrong." ~Carl Jung

Type
    INTP
    Every houseplant I ever get dies, except for this peace lily. It's the only indoor plant I can seem to keep alive. I don't have much luck with outdoor plants either.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Light Leak View Post
    Every houseplant I ever get dies, except for this peace lily. It's the only indoor plant I can seem to keep alive. I don't have much luck with outdoor plants either.

get a variegated spider plant...very resilient...plus, it produces runners which can be snipped and planted back in the same pot...so even if the main plant is next to dead, the runners will still re-take and last pretty long. Easiest houseplant I've ever had...and it looks nice when it is hung from the ceiling, or left to cascade off of a high shelf/wall.

Peace Lillies are pretty easy, too...but I've had a few of those die over the course of keeping a spider plant...

I quite like bulb flowers outside, too...instead of buying cut flowers for my wife, I usually get her a potted lily or other bulb flower of some sort, that gets replanted outside once it dies. We've got a nice bed of stargazers, hybrids, and tiger lillies in the yard now, and they're about as easy to grow as daffodils and crocuses...plus, they attract a lot of bees and pollinators for the rest of the garden.
    ...the origin of emotional sickness lay in people’s belief that they were their personalities...
    "The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense, not between right and wrong." ~Carl Jung

Retired
    Type
    XXXX
    Quote Originally Posted by Robcore View Post
    Yesterday one of my pomegranate seeds finally germinated/sprouted...part of an experiment, because as far as I know, nobody has ever grown pomegranates here...though it's supposedly agricultural zone 8A, which is doable for pomegranates. The idea is to eventually have an edible, low maintenance, hedge. I'm hoping that more of them will start popping in the next few days. One of the things that I found appealing about pomegranates (besides, well, pomegranate fruit) is that they're fairly resilient and resistant to drought. A low maintenance perennial that I hope to incorporate into a permaculture food forest around my property in the coming years.
    Pictureeeeeez

(...) If I can pay off my mortgage in the next 8 years, and spawn a high-yield food forest, and maybe invest in a bit of solar energy, I'll be a happy self-sustainer with plenty of time and money to live a good INTP-accomodating lifestyle.
    That sounds pretty neat. Are you enlisting the kids as low-wage farm workers?

We have some inside plants, too...but my wife got rid of the spider plant last year, and that's really the only one that I liked. I'm thinking I might try an indoor citrus producing shrub at some point, though...just have to decide on a spot for it where the kids won't destroy it.
    That name... mesmerising. If Google hadn't enlightened me about what type of plant you're referring to, I'd probably have been very turned off by the idea of having one in my house. They're called Grünlilie in German – green lily. I agree with you on their hardiness – they're almost indestructible and their tendency to produce copious offshoots is quite uncanny.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Sappho View Post
    That sounds pretty neat. Are you enlisting the kids as low-wage farm workers?
    There's nothing particularly attractive about the garden/pomegranates/etc. as they are now, so no pics. Maybe in the springtime. There's still about a foot of snow left to melt in the yard...and then I'll have to harden the poms before transplanting them into the yard for the hedge.

As for the child labour...yes, we're indoctrinating the kids in the gardening philosophy...though they don't seem too keen, for now. They like to help (over)water...but when it comes to harvesting, not much makes it past their mouths and into the house. Last summer, my boy, Oliver, would plant his butt down between the blueberry bushes and eat until he could reach no more berries...then he'd migrate over to the chives and chocolate mint where he'd alternate between munching bits of those. He also consumed the bulk of the strawberry harvest and the cucumbers(which he liked best before they got big).
    ...but for now, the joy of eating food fresh from the garden is more important than high yields...and it's better than feeding the kids processed foods.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Everything under heaven is in utter chaos; the situation is excellent. - Mao

Retired
    Type
    XXXX
    Roses!

The other day I finally bought a little indoor greenhouse:

As a test, I sowed this Bellis perennis variety – I'm not too fond of their sugary appearance, but apparently they're edible, so if they turn out to be an eyesore, they can be eaten as a salad.

Mens bona regnum possidet ferrus's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    I'm thinking I might get a sago palm for my apartment in Barcelona.
    Die Logik ist keine Lehre, sondern ein Spiegelbild der Welt. Die Logik ist transcendental. - Wittgenstein