Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fixing Things

Retired
    Type
    XXXX

Fixing Things

@LordLatch is probably going to own this one.

Do you enjoy tinkering with broken items? What was the last thing you repaired? Do you have any noteworthy anecdotes of disasters etc while attempting to do so?

Retired
    Type
    XXXX
    So the other day I finally bought a soldering iron, in order to fix a broken record player cable and – it worked! Spurred by that result, I scoured the Internet for other ideas on how to put it to good use. Eventually this was discovered:

How to repair your broken earbud headphones

Which is definitely what I am going to try the next time mine give up the ghost (which happens on a roughly annual basis due to daily wear and tear). To think of all the expensive Sennheiser headphones I threw away over the years... No more!

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Sappho View Post
    Do you enjoy tinkering with broken items?
    No, but I enoy giving them to men to tinker with. This solves two problems; the man has something to do, and I have a reason to buy a new item immediately.
    Everything under heaven is in utter chaos; the situation is excellent. - Mao

Now we know... Asteroids Champion ACow's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Less and less these days. I've tried on several things but kept running into "tamper proof" design.

The last successful thing I really repaired though was one of my relatively expensive keyboards. It had a problem with registering the p (or was it the 'q') key too little/too often. Rather than send it back i thought I'd take it apart and give the old soldering iron a go as well, found the soldering joint for that key, melted and reset it...and...I've been using it perfectly for the last few years...

Type
    INTP
    I just replaced the fuse in my favorite lamp/alarm clock!

I also enjoy taking the batteries out of noisy toys.

Type
    INTP
    Fixing things is one of my favorite things to do. Here are a few things that I've done in the last few months:

This week, I refurbished a utility trailer, I painted the frame, replaced the deck and rails, and re-wired the lights because the wiring had decayed and was unreliable. I soldered all the electrical connections and used heat shrink tubing to protect them from the elements. I also fixed a hole in the tire with tire repair kit.

Before that, I replaced the hose on my auto-retracting air hose reel. And I replaced the pressure switch on my air compressor, which required me to re-route many of the lines since the replacement wasn't an exact match.

Not long ago, I fixed the quick release mechanism on my bench vise, which had been slipping.

A couple months ago, my refrigerator stopped working, and I had to replace the thermostat.

I found and replaced a diode in the display on my oven. US$0.25 part instead of buying a new control panel for $150

I've replaced the heating element in my clothes dryer a couple of times. It's about 25 years old and still works fine.

I also maintain my own vehicles. Mostly just diagnosis and parts swapping.

Re-soldered the jack on my bass guitar.

I also up-cycle things pretty frequently. Today, I took a blade from an electric edge grinder and converted it into a woodturning parting tool.

-

When I fix things, I often find a reason to learn more about how something works. The switch on the air compressor is a good example. I had to think about the parts of the compressor and what everything does, since there was no exact replacement part available. Also, fixing the quick release bench vice required me to understand how it works.

Type
    INFP
    INTPx Award Winner
    I've been fixing to do some bike repairs for a few days but it just won't stop raining.
    Last edited by MoneyJungle; 02-20-2016 at 04:11 AM.

Glimpses do ye seem to see of that mortally intolerable truth; that all deep, earnest thinking is but the intrepid effort of the soul to keep the open independence of her sea; while the wildest winds of heaven and earth conspire to cast her on the treacherous, slavish shore?

Cooler than Jesus
    Type
    intp
    I fix shit for my job. But on my own time, most of the fixing I do is a drink for myself.

I hate fixing stuff though I did fix the brakes on my bike about six months ago. I almost made a post I was so proud of myself.

I also painted trim and installed blinds on about 8 new windows I got on my house. Though in typical P fashion a few are unfinished because I need to patch drywall that was damaged during window installation and I just haven't gotten around to it. Hell I even bought a drill. I almost felt manly there for a couple of weeks.

Type
    INXX
    Quote Originally Posted by Sappho View Post
    @LordLatch is probably going to own this one.

Do you enjoy tinkering with broken items? What was the last thing you repaired? Do you have any noteworthy anecdotes of disasters etc while attempting to do so?
    This is like me asking you:
    Do you like playing piano? etc I've fixed thousands of things- many of them on autopilot.

It's so ingrained in me I don't even think about it anymore to take note of special instances. I don't get emotional when things go wrong. Well mostly.

Once upon a time, I was replacing the springs on a garage door. They help counter the weight of the door so the motor can lift it. This one was solid wood and for a two car garage so it was honking heavy. When I say that I mean I couldn't lift it. I'm kinda known for being able to move things others can't like refrigerators and couches up stairs by myself. So when I say it was heavy, I mean it. I had to use a combination of blocks and levers and it painfully slow going. I installed the spring and put it all back together. The pulley slipped, twisted and cut deep gouges into the pole on which It was mounted. The door went cockeyed and cable jumped the pulley. I cried. Yes, literally. I was already invested in the springs to the tune of $160 and couldn't walk away from the job. Eventually, I got it all put together and working. The door could have easily killed me that day. I don't do garage door springs anymore.
    Stand clear of the closing doors, please.