Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 85

Thread: Fixing Things

  1. #21
    Tsundoku LordLatch's Avatar
    Type
    INXX
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    7,710
    Quote Originally Posted by Limey View Post
    I have a nice photo of myself looking tired but elated "it works!" after I put it back together and pushed the button facing myself.
    Accidental victory selfie?
    Stand clear of the closing doors, please.

  2. #22
    know nothing pensive_pilgrim's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    4,575
    Last night I used the oven method to bring my GPU back from the dead for the second time. The last time was about six months ago I think so I'm not confident I bought myself much more time, but at least I don't have to wait until I find a job to play Rocket League.

    Generally speaking I prefer throwing things away to fixing them, unless I don't know why they're broken. About a month ago I paid somebody to replace a broken spoke on my bicycle and true the wheels, even though there are shops nearby where I could learn how to do it for free and I've got plenty of spare time, simply because I started reading about how to do it and it looked tedious. I hate stuff like that, useful skills that require tedious practice to master, like tuning a guitar or sharpening a knife.

  3. #23
    Retired
    Type
    XXXX
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    5,794
    Quote Originally Posted by pathogenetic_peripatetic View Post
    Last night I used the oven method to bring my GPU back from the dead for the second time. The last time was about six months ago I think so I'm not confident I bought myself much more time, but at least I don't have to wait until I find a job to play Rocket League.

    Generally speaking I prefer throwing things away to fixing them, unless I don't know why they're broken. About a month ago I paid somebody to replace a broken spoke on my bicycle and true the wheels, even though there are shops nearby where I could learn how to do it for free and I've got plenty of spare time, simply because I started reading about how to do it and it looked tedious. I hate stuff like that, useful skills that require tedious practice to master, like tuning a guitar or sharpening a knife.
    That shouldn't be too difficult to learn once you've got a reasonable pitch perception. The pegs require a relatively large amount of turning in order to significantly alter the string's pitch, so no fine-motor skills are necessary.

    Tuning a violin is slightly more challenging (due to the wooden pegs often getting stuck and the string length being a lot shorter). And tuning a piano... yeah, that is tedious (app. 230 strings as opposed to 4 or 6), and fairly difficult to do also.

  4. #24
    凸(ಠ_ರೃ )凸 stuck's Avatar
    Type
    xNxx
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    4,340
    My crowning achievement was replacing a motherboard on a macbook. Had to buy a torx screwdriver and everything- us civilians are not supposed to do that.

  5. #25
    Tsundoku LordLatch's Avatar
    Type
    INXX
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    7,710
    Quote Originally Posted by stuck View Post
    My crowning achievement was replacing a motherboard on a macbook. Had to buy a torx screwdriver and everything- us civilians are not supposed to do that.
    Were you scared?
    Stand clear of the closing doors, please.

  6. #26
    凸(ಠ_ರೃ )凸 stuck's Avatar
    Type
    xNxx
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    4,340
    Tuning a guitar takes either some knowledge or an app. Everyone just goes for the fifth fret against the open string, but our tuning system has the perfect fifth several cents away from what your ear would hear as perfect. You have to do octaves.
    @LordLatch

    I was scared because you also had to "spudger" the case open, and pull back some adhesive. I spent 70 bucks on a new motherboard too. 'Twas a ballbuster.

  7. #27
    Tsundoku LordLatch's Avatar
    Type
    INXX
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    7,710
    Quote Originally Posted by stuck View Post
    I was scared because you also had to "spudger" the case open, and pull back some adhesive.
    well, I'll tell you, it doesn't get any easier with experience. There's always some tab that breaks or a screw you didn't remove or something else you were supposed to remove first and the glue never sticks right again- on and on.
    Stand clear of the closing doors, please.

  8. #28
    凸(ಠ_ರೃ )凸 stuck's Avatar
    Type
    xNxx
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    4,340
    Quote Originally Posted by LordLatch View Post
    well, I'll tell you, it doesn't get any easier with experience. There's always some tab that breaks or a screw you didn't remove or something else you were supposed to remove first and the glue never sticks right again- on and on.
    Yeah I ended up with a couple extra screws, lol. 45/46 isn't too bad i guess.

  9. #29
    Tsundoku LordLatch's Avatar
    Type
    INXX
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    7,710
    Quote Originally Posted by stuck View Post
    Yeah I ended up with a couple extra screws, lol.
    Just save those to step on barefooted later.
    Stand clear of the closing doors, please.

  10. #30
    know nothing pensive_pilgrim's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    4,575
    Quote Originally Posted by Sappho View Post
    That shouldn't be too difficult to learn once you've got a reasonable pitch perception. The pegs require a relatively large amount of turning in order to significantly alter the string's pitch, so no fine-motor skills are necessary.

    Tuning a violin is slightly more challenging (due to the wooden pegs often getting stuck and the string length being a lot shorter). And tuning a piano... yeah, that is tedious (app. 230 strings as opposed to 4 or 6), and fairly difficult to do also.
    Neat test. My result was 14.7 Hz, midway between "low-normal" and "Possible pitch perception deficit", which confirms what I expected. I took a few guitar lessons as a teenager and tried to get the hang of tuning but it was always frustrating because I couldn't figure out which way to turn the knobs or whether it sounded right. Several times I broke strings by winding them too tightly, obviously way off from where I needed to be. Probably the same reason I've always been horrible at singing, which sucks. I would really like to be able to sing halfway-passably

    But at least with a guitar I can use a device to tune it and then I just need to know where to put my fingers. Tuning a piano sounds horrible though.

Similar Threads

  1. Things that you think are fun
    By El D. in forum The Pub
    Replies: 68
    Last Post: 10-31-2017, 11:28 AM
  2. Fixing Philosophy
    By Ptah in forum Philosophy & Spirituality
    Replies: 50
    Last Post: 03-03-2017, 04:01 PM
  3. There are too many things
    By Blorg in forum Rants, Raves & Hot Air
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 07-04-2015, 12:46 AM
  4. Things to NOT say to a cop.
    By LordLatch in forum The Pub
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 12-03-2014, 08:35 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •