Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Fixing Things

Type
    INXX
    Quote Originally Posted by Limey View Post
    I have a nice photo of myself looking tired but elated "it works!" after I put it back together and pushed the button facing myself.
    Accidental victory selfie?
    Stand clear of the closing doors, please.

Type
    INTP
    Last night I used the oven method to bring my GPU back from the dead for the second time. The last time was about six months ago I think so I'm not confident I bought myself much more time, but at least I don't have to wait until I find a job to play Rocket League.

Generally speaking I prefer throwing things away to fixing them, unless I don't know why they're broken. About a month ago I paid somebody to replace a broken spoke on my bicycle and true the wheels, even though there are shops nearby where I could learn how to do it for free and I've got plenty of spare time, simply because I started reading about how to do it and it looked tedious. I hate stuff like that, useful skills that require tedious practice to master, like tuning a guitar or sharpening a knife.

Retired
    Type
    XXXX
    Quote Originally Posted by pathogenetic_peripatetic View Post
    Last night I used the oven method to bring my GPU back from the dead for the second time. The last time was about six months ago I think so I'm not confident I bought myself much more time, but at least I don't have to wait until I find a job to play Rocket League.

Generally speaking I prefer throwing things away to fixing them, unless I don't know why they're broken. About a month ago I paid somebody to replace a broken spoke on my bicycle and true the wheels, even though there are shops nearby where I could learn how to do it for free and I've got plenty of spare time, simply because I started reading about how to do it and it looked tedious. I hate stuff like that, useful skills that require tedious practice to master, like tuning a guitar or sharpening a knife.
    That shouldn't be too difficult to learn once you've got a reasonable pitch perception. The pegs require a relatively large amount of turning in order to significantly alter the string's pitch, so no fine-motor skills are necessary.

Tuning a violin is slightly more challenging (due to the wooden pegs often getting stuck and the string length being a lot shorter). And tuning a piano... yeah, that is tedious (app. 230 strings as opposed to 4 or 6), and fairly difficult to do also.

Type
    xNxx
    My crowning achievement was replacing a motherboard on a macbook. Had to buy a torx screwdriver and everything- us civilians are not supposed to do that.

Type
    INXX
    Quote Originally Posted by stuck View Post
    My crowning achievement was replacing a motherboard on a macbook. Had to buy a torx screwdriver and everything- us civilians are not supposed to do that.
    Were you scared?

Type
    xNxx
    Tuning a guitar takes either some knowledge or an app. Everyone just goes for the fifth fret against the open string, but our tuning system has the perfect fifth several cents away from what your ear would hear as perfect. You have to do octaves.
    @LordLatch

I was scared because you also had to "spudger" the case open, and pull back some adhesive. I spent 70 bucks on a new motherboard too. 'Twas a ballbuster.

Type
    INXX
    I was scared because you also had to "spudger" the case open, and pull back some adhesive.
    well, I'll tell you, it doesn't get any easier with experience. There's always some tab that breaks or a screw you didn't remove or something else you were supposed to remove first and the glue never sticks right again- on and on.

Type
    xNxx
    Quote Originally Posted by LordLatch View Post
    well, I'll tell you, it doesn't get any easier with experience. There's always some tab that breaks or a screw you didn't remove or something else you were supposed to remove first and the glue never sticks right again- on and on.
    Yeah I ended up with a couple extra screws, lol. 45/46 isn't too bad i guess.

Type
    INXX
    Yeah I ended up with a couple extra screws, lol.
    Just save those to step on barefooted later.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Sappho View Post
    That shouldn't be too difficult to learn once you've got a reasonable pitch perception. The pegs require a relatively large amount of turning in order to significantly alter the string's pitch, so no fine-motor skills are necessary.

Tuning a violin is slightly more challenging (due to the wooden pegs often getting stuck and the string length being a lot shorter). And tuning a piano... yeah, that is tedious (app. 230 strings as opposed to 4 or 6), and fairly difficult to do also.
    Neat test. My result was 14.7 Hz, midway between "low-normal" and "Possible pitch perception deficit", which confirms what I expected. I took a few guitar lessons as a teenager and tried to get the hang of tuning but it was always frustrating because I couldn't figure out which way to turn the knobs or whether it sounded right. Several times I broke strings by winding them too tightly, obviously way off from where I needed to be. Probably the same reason I've always been horrible at singing, which sucks. I would really like to be able to sing halfway-passably

But at least with a guitar I can use a device to tune it and then I just need to know where to put my fingers. Tuning a piano sounds horrible though.