Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Car Talk

Type
    INTJ
    INTPx Award Winner

Car Talk

There didn't seem to be a car thread and I know there are definitely INTPs who are also into cars.

I am a car enthusiast, there, I've said it. That's Step one.
    now we know.

Type
    INtP
    INTPx Award Winner
    I used to work on them.
    This just in: I'm accepting all friend requests too unless you're a fricken jerk and I can't stand your existence and inane drivel. If that's the case, then I'll accept your friend request so I can keep an eye on your ass unless you don't hold any interest for me; then only the threat of keeping my eye on you stands. feces

Type
    INTJ
    INTPx Award Winner
    The last few weeks my rental was a Lincoln MKZ.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lincol...2012_NYIAS.JPG

I'm a big fan of the related Fusion and I plan to likely buy a plug in hybrid model of one soon-ish, or when I definitely feel like it, whichever comes first.
    With the MKZ, it's like Lincoln came close to spoiling this already nice car.

The styling is a bit garish, not offensive, but the Fusion/Mondeo is already a nice looking car that looks a bit Aston Martin.

Inside, they seem to have ruined the stering wheel, the audio controls are all in the wrong place. If I have to move my arm, or if I can't do it in the dark, then don't even bother, I'll just use the stereo on the console, it's the same efficiency level.

The lights were annoying. Sure, I could see a shit ton, for half a mile, but they were blinding everyone else and pissing them off. There needs to be an electronic dip selection mechanism, this is an 80s feature (in Europe) FFS!

The Sync system is very nice to use, they managed not to spoil it.

I didn't die in it, but it's not worth whatever premium it is above the Fusion and I wouldn't buy a fleet/former rental model.

edit: the 2017 model looks like an Aud A4, a Passat and a Jaguar XF got into a mangled accident: http://www.freep.com/story/money/car...rand/75666776/

Also, I was ready to lambast the new Top Gear reboot attempt, but I see they have Chris Harris, well, I'm impressed.
    Last edited by Limey; 02-26-2016 at 06:46 AM.
    now we know.

Type
    INTJ
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by LordLatch View Post
    I used to work on them.
    Then you must really love them.
    now we know.

Type
    INTJ
    INTPx Award Winner
    Also, the US Diesel market is pretty pathetic. We were supposed to get the Mazda Skyactiv Diesel, but it's been two years past the date and it hasn't happened. It looks like they can't achieve the Jekyll and Hyde performance and emissions paradigm that's needed.

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/...able-exec-says

The US Diesel market sucks. I would have bought a Land Rover product from my home town's manufacture, but I can only get V8 in the US, which is just too thirsty, wasteful, less practical IMHO.

We're left with these urea tank models,, good for 10K or at least some are user serviceable now. I think the BMW 328D is probably the best currently available in this country.
    now we know.

Esteemed Wart Snake Champion Grape Jelly's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    I thought car talk was off limits here. My goal is a WRX, possibly STI. For now, Chevy Cruze interior is for lack of better phrase, hella sick, and you can find them dirt cheap. I'll show you what I'm talking about.

It's that blue screen damnit. The khaki themed one is actually nicer.

Type
    INTJ
    INTPx Award Winner
    Researched Car DVRs, read and watched a lot of reviews. The new A118C B40 Super capacitor with the Novatek chipset appears to be the shit, plus they comply with the new FAA thermal runaway mode from lithium ion compliance (consider having it professionally wired to the car to have it run on motion sensor all the time, else don't trust cheap lithium ion in your car.

Anyway, you can get grey market versions for $59 on eBay, ten dollars more gets you one with a GPS built in (great for theft applications and even monitoring your teen's driving)

This is one of the best videos I saw, really great review, he covers everything, these beat the previously best G1W cams.

now we know.

Type
    INTJ
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Grape Jelly View Post
    I thought car talk was off limits here. My goal is a WRX, possibly STI. For now, Chevy Cruze interior is for lack of better phrase, hella sick, and you can find them dirt cheap. I'll show you what I'm talking about.

It's that blue screen damnit. The khaki themed one is actually nicer.
    I was once given a Cruze when I accidentally clicked on the wrong rental class and want to bother walking back to the rental center (planes trains and automobiles).

The car was brand new in the US at the time. I remember it could not hold its lane well at all on the bendy bridges and roads around the bay area, also, the A/C failed after a few days, right when the day was 85F!

I would avoid the Cruze, at least the early models sucked.

I think Ptah has a WRX and may be a fan, but they and Evos are just not for me, they seem to be for a younger crowd.
    now we know.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Limey View Post
    Researched Car DVRs, read and watched a lot of reviews. The new A118C B40 Super capacitor with the Novatek chipset appears to be the shit, plus they comply with the new FAA thermal runaway mode from lithium ion compliance (consider having it professionally wired to the car to have it run on motion sensor all the time, else don't trust cheap lithium ion in your car.

Anyway, you can get grey market versions for $59 on eBay, ten dollars more gets you one with a GPS built in (great for theft applications and even monitoring your teen's driving)

This is one of the best videos I saw, really great review, he covers everything, these beat the previously best G1W cams.

I got the model one step below that without the GPS. It's good. It works. The default setting for the crash sensor is a bit too sensitive, though, and it goes into emergency mode kind of randomly. I need to set the sensitivity lower but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

P.S. Fry's electronics in San Jose sucks. When I was shopping for a dashcam I tried about five of theirs, and every single one was returned defective. They probably put them right back on the shelf each time I returned / exchanged. Wound up going with the unbranded internet purchase, and it worked flawlessly right out of the box.

P.P.S. The drivers in CA are the reason why I got a dash cam.

Mens bona regnum possidet ferrus's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Limey View Post
    Also, I was ready to lambast the new Top Gear reboot attempt, but I see they have Chris Harris, well, I'm impressed.
    I don't think anything can make up for having Chris Evans as the main host though. *shudder*
    Die Logik ist keine Lehre, sondern ein Spiegelbild der Welt. Die Logik ist transcendental. - Wittgenstein