Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 190

Thread: Car Talk

  1. #21
    was here.. ~h4ct6al~'s Avatar
    Type
    INtP
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    7,134
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Hephaestus View Post
    I want to ban all automobiles everywhere. Electric, diesel, gas, kerosene, natural gas, fuel cell, JP4--all of them, everywhere for all time.

    Replace them with human powered vehicles and watch vehicular homicide, obesity, and diabetes rates plummet while mean fitness levels rise through the stratosphere.

    Fuck cars.

    But while there here, I'll use them.
    I refuse to ride in a airplane you are pedaling.
    This just in: I'm accepting all friend requests too unless you're a fricken jerk and I can't stand your existence and inane drivel. If that's the case, then I'll accept your friend request so I can keep an eye on your ass unless you don't hold any interest for me; then only the threat of keeping my eye on you stands. feces

  2. #22
    Senior Member Makers!*'s Avatar
    Type
    XXXX
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Blackfeet Country
    Posts
    1,499
    This is basically my truck (no toolbox). I'd never want anything more, and I'll always buy used. I would like one sans cut-away bed with a camper shell, so I can throw a matress in the back and lock down my camping gear. That away, soon as the weekend rolls around, I'm at a campground near a river.


  3. #23
    Dr.Awkward Robcore's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    1,294
    I have a 2010 Hyundai accent...pretty basic model that I got before I became a carpenter...and while it sucks not having a truck, the fuel economy and handling is freakin' awesome in that thing. I bought it because it was the cheapest new vehicle available here at the time with a great warranty package..plus, my sis had a 90s model accent which was basically indestructible. Definitely prefer the standard transmission (my other sis has an automatic hatchback version).

    Our other vehicle is a 2014 Dodge Caravan. We also opted for it against other options (like the Honda Odyssey) because it was cheaper. I love the stow and go seating, because if I can't get hold of a truck, I can actually fold down the seats and haul a full 4 x 8 sheet of plywood in the back, no problem.

    Never really cared for having a vehicle loaded with options...it's basically just a box on wheels...and for how far/long I typically have to drive (5 min to 45 min max, unless we're on vacation), the added expense of anything fancier seems unwarranted.

    While I'd never buy a fancy vehicle for myself, I do appreciate a few cool vehicles that my friends have had over the years. My favourite is probably the '57 Chevy...even in the back seat there's enough leg room to set up a small dining room table...it's ridiculously comfortable...and the vehicle is so heavy that it feels like you're riding in a tank.
    Runner up would be my good friend's '67 Firebird...complete with an 8-Track stereo with a KISS album permanently stuck inside. He dropped about $25 thousand dollars into it the year after he bought it, and the thing is magnificently fast. We once hit a porcupine in it while driving about 220kph...and really, a lot of my adolescence and early 20s was spent cruising around in that car...lots of memories.
    ...the origin of emotional sickness lay in people’s belief that they were their personalities...
    "The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense, not between right and wrong." ~Carl Jung

  4. #24
    atom arranger Sistamatic's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    4,298
    INTPx Award Winner
    I have one of these ... 2015 Prius:



    And one of these ... 78 Jeep Cherokee:




    And my husband drives a 2015 Equinox, but it belongs to the company not to us. He gets a new company vehicle every 40k, and they mean for him to use it as his daily driver in addition to for work:

    Insults are effective only where emotion is present. -- Spock, "Who Mourns for Adonais?" Stardate 3468.1.

    I'm not avoiding socializing I'm helping socializing avoid me! --MoneyJungle

  5. #25
    Banned
    Type
    INtP
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    2,248
    INTPx Award Winner
    Is it true that 4-cylinder cars simply have less effective AC? Because that sounds like bullshit to me.

    I've complained several times about the so-so AC performance in my Mazda 3, and that is what I was told. When I pointed out that an identical loaner had ice cold air, they tested mine, said it was fine, and blew me off. I've rented many small cars with great AC, so, nah. Please don't act like I'm stupid.

    I do wonder if larger cars have better AC in general, though.

    This is both a question and semi-rant about dealerships.

  6. #26
    Senior Member
    Type
    INTP
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    2,118
    Quote Originally Posted by Lurker View Post
    This is both a question and semi-rant about dealerships.
    Don't even get me started on car dealerships. I finally have a good, trustworthy go-to mechanic. Problems that the dealership swore weren't there are now magically solved, and the car I wanted to push into the bay a year ago now purrs like a kitten.

    Not all car dealership service shops are horrible and dishonest though, just 90% of them. Of the remaining 10% that are okay, the best I can say about them is that they don't screw you over on purpose. I think those places tend to attract bottom of the barrel mechanics, so it's kind of a crap shoot when it comes to who is working on your car. Best case scenario, you'll get an alcoholic who has half decent mechanical skills. Any worthwhile mechanic who has his shit halfway together will just open his own garage.

  7. #27
    singularity precursor Limey's Avatar
    Type
    INTJ
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Mid Atlantic USA
    Posts
    5,436
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by starla View Post
    Don't even get me started on car dealerships. I finally have a good, trustworthy go-to mechanic. Problems that the dealership swore weren't there are now magically solved, and the car I wanted to push into the bay a year ago now purrs like a kitten.

    Not all car dealership service shops are horrible and dishonest though, just 90% of them. Of the remaining 10% that are okay, the best I can say about them is that they don't screw you over on purpose. I think those places tend to attract bottom of the barrel mechanics, so it's kind of a crap shoot when it comes to who is working on your car. Best case scenario, you'll get an alcoholic who has half decent mechanical skills. Any worthwhile mechanic who has his shit halfway together will just open his own garage.
    I agree, especially domestic car dealers. In-fact I don't think any domestic dealers within cities are to be trusted.
    I finally found a good Mercedes service company. In-fact, I disconnected my windshield DVR camera as a courtesy and they strangely plugged it back in and filmed themselves doing the work. Was nice to see I paid for an actual exhaust manifold, not just some bolts to be tightened and that they didn't take it for a joyride as one previous aftermarket place did (stopped in the middle lane of hwy 70 outside crabtree valley mall and did a smoky burnout/hard start)
    "Jesus was not a poof and neither was he married."
    -Guess who

  8. #28
    Member Ependymin's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    It's very hot.
    Posts
    307
    I haven't owned a car since forever but I still have my license. If I had a car it'd probably be a truck, maybe a Tacoma, with a senior Rhodesian Ridgeback rescue waiting for me on the front seat.

  9. #29
    Member MarkovChain's Avatar
    Type
    IXTP
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    788
    Quote Originally Posted by Hephaestus View Post
    I want to ban all automobiles everywhere. Electric, diesel, gas, kerosene, natural gas, fuel cell, JP4--all of them, everywhere for all time.

    Replace them with human powered vehicles and watch vehicular homicide, obesity, and diabetes rates plummet while mean fitness levels rise through the stratosphere.

    Fuck cars.

    But while there here, I'll use them.
    I would not want to live in that world.

  10. #30
    igKnight Hephaestus's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Ceti Alpha V
    Posts
    9,240
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkovChain View Post
    I would not want to live in that world.
    That's ok. Ideally there would be billions fewer people too.
    --Mention of these things is so taboo, they aren't even allowed a name for the prohibition. It is just not done.

Similar Threads

  1. let's talk genitals
    By sandwitch in forum Health & Fitness
    Replies: 101
    Last Post: 05-23-2015, 08:38 PM
  2. Let's talk about feelings.
    By ~h4ct6al~ in forum Psychology & Sociology
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 04-25-2015, 06:53 PM
  3. Dog talk
    By mhc in forum The Playground
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 01-31-2015, 01:04 AM
  4. Car Talk
    By Sistamatic in forum Projects & Creativity
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 12-18-2014, 04:37 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •