Thread: Balance

Type
    INtP
    INTPx Award Winner

Balance

Do "cultural appropriation" squabbles over hairstyles miss the point? Are these tiffs a petty distraction from real issues, or do they have merit? If you think they do, why?

"Quit _____shaming me!" Coming from an attractive sex symbol, fighting for her "right" to post nudes on Instagram? Hmm. OTOH, coming from an obese woman who is mercilessly shredded to bits and ridiculed; basically, stripped of all value as a person...should this person's recourse be "appropriated" (manipulated) by a woman who simply wants to utilize a site in a manner that furthers her brand, despite a "no nudes" rule? Isn't this just entitlement?

Why is every claim of rape or sexual abuse assumed to be true?

Does this sort of careless coverage and kneejerk support of any protest against "the man" just collapse under scrutiny? Also, why do wealthy white (or passably whitish) women rarely come under scrutiny for supporting the status quo?

Take Chrissy Teigen. She funny, she's interesting. She's also very attractive. I wonder if a less advantaged woman would have such a legion of followers....she supports the status quo...wealthy, beautiful...yet supporters act as if she's a great representative for women just because she's pretty with a brain. Nothing against her, she's great. But, she's not new.

Anyway, thoughts? Very broad topic.

-
    Type
    xxxx
    Quote Originally Posted by Lurker View Post
    Why is every claim of rape or sexual abuse assumed to be true?
    It isn't.

Type
    INTJ
    INTPx Award Winner
    They had this PC revolution in the UK years ago and they continue to be the most pandering, mealy mouthed bunch of apologists going, spending more time and energy on making sure that no-one gets offended and that everything is politically correct than they do on actual productivity.
    These xxxx appropriation people need to start speaking another language, since English itself appropriates the fuck out of everything by nature and dynamism.

I'm just not going to get triggered by this, where's my fucken pipe.

Type
    INtP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Sappho View Post
    It isn't.
    No, not legally. However, it does seem like the default response is to believe the accuser, which I understand because rape victims have historically been blamed, mistreated, and discouraged from coming forward. If they did (do), they were (are) subjected to humiliating accounts of the incident, play-by-play. They have to defend any "suspect" action they engage in, especially if they had a few drinks around the time of the rape.

I write all this to clarify how much I sympathize with the victims. BUT, I do think certain self-styled advocates immediately jump to, "That fucking asshole. He's guilty." I've seen this in so many online comments, and it irritates me.

I'm concerned about the masses, and their snap judgments. If someone is innocent, their life is still ruined, or their reputation is stained forever.

Media exposure has always led to this problem. Being accused, even if eventually acquitted, plants seeds of distrust. I know I would always question an accused rapist myself, because so many are never held accountable.

This isn't fair, though. I don't know if there is a solution, other than gagging the press, which is certainly out.

Type
    INtP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Limey View Post
    They had this PC revolution in the UK years ago and they continue to be the most pandering, mealy mouthed bunch of apologists going, spending more time and energy on making sure that no-one gets offended and that everything is politically correct than they do on actual productivity.
    These xxxx appropriation people need to start speaking another language, since English itself appropriates the fuck out of everything by nature and dynamism.

I'm just not going to get triggered by this, where's my fucken pipe.
    This is a perfect example of good intentions backfiring.

I'm sure that you don't support raping, pillaging, and mass humiliation of minorites. The problem is how these issues are being presented. When people become hysterical over petty stuff like hairstyles, and their right to pose nude on Instagram or Twitter, they are hurting their cause, in my eyes, anyway.

Honestly, I am reminded of the pit bull supporters.

Type
    INTP
    "All my heroes are dead" - John Zorn

"It's not selfish if you hate yourself"

Zombie Jesus Bloody School Daze's Avatar
    Type
    xNTP
    As far as the "guilty the instant they're charged" vibe I get (or should I say "innocent or guilty due to political affiliation" vibe) goes, I don't like it. I can see why treating someone as if they are guilty might make sense, but differentiating between pragmatism and truth is important here, I think.

As for the other two, there's a kernel of legitimacy in the second, and a long-dead and misused kernel from the first, I think. Cultural appropriation basically takes the problem of certain groups not having equal access to power and status (Why Elvis wasn't black) and instead of trying to address it attempts to strip whites and others (but usually whites) of personal freedoms. Or that's the charitable way to interpret it.

The issue of nude selfies etc. might be more serious depending on the extent to which you believe the grapevine about these sorts of things. You always hear about how you can't get a job with those photos, right? It isn't a big deal for Kim specifically though. But there is one thing I haven't addressed here, and I kind of want to edit it in or leave it for another post...because I have conspiracy theories about the "Chrissy Teagan" model of feminism.

Type
    INtP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Faust View Post
    Perfect.