Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Stressful days

Type
    INTP

Stressful days

Similar to gator's thread, "how do you recharge", but I'm curious about how people cope before they've had a chance to recharge. Let's say you're in the middle of a bad day. How do you handle it? I've noticed a few tendencies among different people/types.

-The Hulk: The Hulk channels everything into aggression. They become prone to outbursts, blame things on others at the drop of a hat, and becomes very demanding. Seems typical of ES_J types. Characterizes the bulk of middle management in the corporate world.

-Dr. House Wannabe: Everything and everyone (but the person in question) is stupid, and nothing would have gone wrong if only this person had been in charge from the beginning. Constant sarcastic, snippy remarks are made. They're typically the only ones that actually find the remarks funny. Seems typical of INT_ types.

-Mandrake: If this type is having a bad day, everyone will hear about it, because they're constantly complaining. If you don't have the pleasure of hearing from them in person, you'll probably read about their day from their Facebook status. Doesn't seem dependent on type.

-Eeyore: Eeyore doesn't verbally complain so much as they take on the demeanor of a downtrodden peasant. If they're not a chainsmoker or an alcoholic, they probably once we, and probably still want to be. Feelers will probably be offended, because even though the Eeyore probably won't become verbally abusive, they lose all capacity for social skills, and likely come across as an asshole. I__P types?

-Mr. Rogers: Mr. Rogers is unflappable. Painfully so. Their constant happy demeanor in the face of what requires serious attention makes you want to punch them and strangle them with their stupid sweater. Probably has cat calendars or non-ironic motivational posters. There's no question that things actually get to them, but you won't find out how they deal with it until you read about it in the newspaper one day. Seems typical of _SF_ types.

-Buddha: As opposed to Mr. Rogers, Buddha is legitimately unflappable. Probably because of true confidence, and having seen worse shit too many times in the past to be phased anymore. Also independent of type.

-Dr. Manhattan: "a sort of aloof, passively holier-than-thou withdrawal/detachment from all surrounding events, and yet somehow exuding a mute, flat and somehow bold presence within them."

Personally, I tend to be more of an Eeyore. I always have to watch myself around other people, lest I cause some feeler's bad day by failing to say thank you or goodbye or something dumb like that.
    Last edited by Anon; 01-07-2014 at 03:30 AM.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Buddha here.

Type
    INTP
    I'd toss in another -- the Dr. Manhattan, as in a sort of aloof, passively holier-than-thou withdrawal/detachment from all surrounding events, and yet somehow exuding a mute, flat and saliently bold presence within them.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Madrigal View Post
    Buddha here.
    Hmmm... yeah that's true.

Quote Originally Posted by Ptah View Post
    I'd toss in another -- the Dr. Manhattan, as in a sort of aloof, passively holier-than-thou withdrawal/detachment from all surrounding events, and yet somehow exuding a mute, flat and somehow bold presence within them.
    I have a coworker just like that. I'll add it!

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Eponymous View Post
    I have a coworker just like that. I'll add it!
    Cool, because that'd be me while under stress/having a bad day.

I've been told that I look both distantly troubled or sad and yet somehow I give off this "don't fuck with me" vibe at the same time.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Seriously though, I tend to deal with stress by withdrawing and alienating myself. Pretending something doesn't exist is my modus operandi. I think that for a long time, I justified my absent-minded, daydreaming and withdrawn personality by assuming it was the hallmark of a creative or analytical individual. Maybe it's not that simple. It can arguably be a defense mechanism developed at an early age to deal with outside aggression. When you're still doing this as an adult, it could indicate a fundamental refusal to interact with the external sphere. A failure to mend these broken ties with the world.

Type
    INtP
    INTPx Award Winner
    After a bad day, I get in the tub and play Total Annihilation for 2 hours. Which of those characters do that? Hulk maybe?

Type
    INTP
    I think that's a different archetype. The sort who steps back and decides they just want to focus on what they can control, everything else be damned. The world too much? Shrink it. Perhaps the Cartman? "Screw you guys, I'm going home."
    --Mention of these things is so taboo, they aren't even allowed a name for the prohibition. It is just not done.

Type
    INFP
    The Hulk inside and Mr Rogers outside. I refuse to let people see me blink and then I go home and Eeyore.

I've been told that I Buddha outside, though on the inside, it feels all hyperventilating gerbil. If there's enough of a break in the insanity, I dissolve into the laughter of despair: "This is so amazingly fucked, I can't even process!"