Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Panama Papers

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner

Panama Papers

What do Vladimir Putin, David Cameron and Lionel Messi have in common?

Bigger than WikiLeaks or just another passing shitstorm?
    Everything under heaven is in utter chaos; the situation is excellent. - Mao

Type
    INtP
    INTPx Award Winner
    I read about these mysterious "Panama Papers" and thought, "I guess there is an Illuminati." Then I realized how short-sighted I've been, so I hightailed it to @Catoptric's video thread.

Sadly, that's almost true.

Type
    INFP
    I'm going to give it a few days. Did anything result of wikileaks? I guess Messi wasn't involved in that but he's already had financial shenanigan issues. Messi might be in real trouble but I don't see any real political power players getting in hot water. My favorite thing to come out of this so far is the accusation of Putinphobia. That's amusing.

Glimpses do ye seem to see of that mortally intolerable truth; that all deep, earnest thinking is but the intrepid effort of the soul to keep the open independence of her sea; while the wildest winds of heaven and earth conspire to cast her on the treacherous, slavish shore?

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    The list, only partial so far, is interesting... They are saying the whole list won't be out until May...not sure why. I guess it takes time to go through that much data.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._Panama_Papers

Jackie Chan is on it.
    Insults are effective only where emotion is present. -- Spock, "Who Mourns for Adonais?" Stardate 3468.1.

I'm not avoiding socializing I'm helping socializing avoid me! --MoneyJungle

Type
    INTP
    I've read about 30 news articles today and I still don't understand wtf it's all about.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by starla View Post
    I've read about 30 news articles today and I still don't understand wtf it's all about.
    The top comment in Reddit's ELI5 thread is pretty much all you need to know for now.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by starla View Post
    At this point, it's basically just a list of people (many of them famous, and many of those important politicians in various countries) who have large amounts of money stashed in shell companies/etc. to avoid paying taxes on it.

I'd call it interesting, but not necessarily something that means anything important as of yet. (This might remain to be seen.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ptah View Post
    No history, no exposition, no anecdote or argument changes the invariant: we are all human beings, and some humans are idiots.

Type
    INTJ
    INTPx Award Winner
    The times piece is pretty good. Of note in that story is that it isn't even necessary to go to Panama here in the US, because it's so easy to make a shell company.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/05/wo...ax-havens.html

Type
    xNxx
    Quote Originally Posted by Limey View Post
    Of note in that story is that it isn't even necessary to go to Panama here in the US, because it's so easy to make a shell company.
    yeah, I didn't even blink here from my vantage in the cloaca

this is chicken scratch compared to what is done in front of our eyes but everyone likes a good depantsing

Type
    xNxx
    I predict: bitcoin gonna get a big boost