Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Human, all too human

Type
    xxxx

Human, all too human

I decided to post this in the Psychology & Sociology subforum instead of the Philosophy subforum, for good reason, even though I think either would prove to be appropriate pigeonholes,

It seems like philosophy is just a a facade for psychology, in the sense that our worldview dictates how our emotions, thoughts, and behaviours unfold
    • Ever since I assimilated certain concepts into my world view, my depression has pretty much dissipated and refused to return
    • These big concepts include self-affirmation, self-validation, self-mastery
    • If you feel a void in your being, it is because you validate yourself through external substance, and this substance is never free-flowing nor constant
    • You fail only because you desire it deep down, and everything in your being works to make it happen

Everywhere, we are encased in artificial constructs
    • We are born into constructs we don't even notice, we are immersed in it, like fish in water
    • These constructs are mere human creations and nothing more
    • If you ever step back far enough, somehow, through sheer will, and a smear of imagination, you can see it all
    • Because the world that has been built for us must not be confused for the world that exists
    • "The map is not the territory" - Korzybski
    • "The menu is not the meal" - Alan Watts

If these constructs are all humanly creations, then it follows that we are free to create our own reality simply by changing our perspective
    • Since perspective itself is a humanly creation
    • And all humanly creations are equally powerful, it only involves a single actualisation
    • Social conditioning is rendered impotent once one is aware of it, since, we understand that social conditioning is nothing but extraneous influence
    • And one can influence oneself just as satisfactorily
    • It seems like all philosophy books I've gotten cosy with turn out to be self-help books in disguise; all philosophers at the heart want to survive being human
    • ie. Nietzsche who seems to struggle to fulfill the nihilism left in the death of christianity with psychological "life-affirming" values
    • It's clear with continental philosophy, of course, but analytical philosophy too, because the latter is just as desperate for meaning, control, and mastery in another sense
    "I fucking hate the cold!" - Wim Hof

art and flowers: https://www.instagram.com/cloudlilt/

Type
    INTP
    "You fail only because you desire it deep down, and everything in your being works to make it happen"

Interesting stuff. Please elaborate on the above.Do you mean we are afraid to suceed and we prefer to fail cause its safer?How can we cope with that, if this is the case?

Type
    INTP
    In short, I agree with the majority of your points, at least in upshot and/or implication. In that (as I see it...) your experience/satisfaction in life ultimately boils down to your capacity and responsibility to choose. This includes your daily trivialities, your goals, attitudes, world view, emotions, values, higher concepts, everything (so, including any consciously held/espoused philosophy, "constructs", and "perspectives", as such). That is, you are the product of your own choices. This includes, but is not limited to the possibility that you've chosen to default into what others have chosen for you (for instance, cultural programming ala "constructs", "perspectives", etc).

Type
    xNxx
    Quote Originally Posted by kali View Post
    [*]You fail only because you desire it deep down, and everything in your being works to make it happen[/LIST]
    lol nah

i mean possibly but what are you actually describing? having a personality or mood disorder? getting abused? cancer? how about getting incinerated in a firebombing?

Type
    xxxx
    Quote Originally Posted by Ptah View Post
    In short, I agree with the majority of your points, at least in upshot and/or implication. In that (as I see it...) your experience/satisfaction in life ultimately boils down to your capacity and responsibility to choose. This includes your daily trivialities, your goals, attitudes, world view, emotions, values, higher concepts, everything (so, including any consciously held/espoused philosophy, "constructs", and "perspectives", as such). That is, you are the product of your own choices. This includes, but is not limited to the possibility that you've chosen to default into what others have chosen for you (for instance, cultural programming ala "constructs", "perspectives", etc).
    Yes, pretty much!!!

Quote Originally Posted by username View Post
    "You fail only because you desire it deep down, and everything in your being works to make it happen"

Interesting stuff. Please elaborate on the above.Do you mean we are afraid to suceed and we prefer to fail cause its safer?How can we cope with that, if this is the case?
    Quote Originally Posted by stuck View Post
    lol nah

i mean possibly but what are you actually describing? having a personality or mood disorder? getting abused? cancer? how about getting incinerated in a firebombing?
    What does it mean to fail? When you desire one thing but will another. With failure you are still satisfying a deep need; most likely we are satisfying a short term one need in lieu of a long term need. I'm not talking about circumstantial failure, I'm talking about when you fail to achieve a goal set out for yourself.

Coping with it is a result of awareness + knowing your ability to act is greater than your victimhood to circumstances

Finished work and had some frenzied thoughts wrote them down and got my brother to hold it up lmao

Type
    INTP
    hmm....ok.Why do you write in capital letters?Your handwriting is attractive and your thoughts are deep but try to use more analogies in your writing to make it more accessible.

Type
    xxxx
    I don't know and good idea

Type
    INTP
    Whenever I see something like, "You fail only because you desire it deep down, and everything in your being works to make it happen", it sets off my "faith healer" alarm. But other than that, what you've said aligns with my thinking. It's amazing how many people make it to middle age without realizing how consensual the structures that control even the smallest of their life choices are.
    --Mention of these things is so taboo, they aren't even allowed a name for the prohibition. It is just not done.

a fool on a journey pensive_pilgrim's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Ever since I assimilated certain concepts into my world view, my depression has pretty much dissipated and refused to return
    Do you think one caused the other? If so, how would you know which was cause and which was effect?

I'm supposed to write about ethical egoism for one of my classes, it was randomly assigned. I'm really struggling with how to separate it from psychological egoism. How could one say that anything "should" be anything other than what it "must" be?

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by kali (paper)
    When we assimilate an impositional construct into our worldview, we do ourselves a disservice of limiting our subjective experience of the world.
    This sounds quite similar to Bourdieu's concept of symbolic violence - the idea that structures of power are accepted as legitimate, instead of being viewed as socially/politically constructed, even (or perhaps especially) by those who don't have access to the source(s) of power.

Other parts of your posts echo maybe Althusser (we are born into constructs) or Foucault (all of our actions/choices occur via second order reality).

I just made those observations because you mentioned continental philosophers. I'm not trying to pigeon-hole you but just wondering if there is a particular author that you like to draw on?

Quote Originally Posted by kali
    Social conditioning is rendered impotent once one is aware of it, since, we understand that social conditioning is nothing but extraneous influence
    I'm not sure about this. I don't think it's so easy to separate this "social conditioning" out.

At some points, you seem to be aligned with critical theorists who recognize ideology (that's how I read your term "impositional construct" - maybe I'm misinterpreting though) as powerful but also insist that if we can "unveil" that ideology and make it recognizable, we can resist it.

You seem to want to separate the "real" you from the elements of you that are connected to impositional constructs but it's not clear to me how you propose to do that.