Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mental illness is just demon possession?

Married Mouth-breather JohnClay's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner

Mental illness is just demon possession?

One time I was in hospital (maybe early 2007) I received a letter from the wealthy boyfriend of a sister. I didn't read it when I received it. Months ago I tried to find it but couldn't. Then today I was looking at the hospital records I had sent to me and almost straight away I found the letter! My sister no longers dates that guy but they still attend the same church. Here is excerpts from one of their church services:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzynfCuJRBY

Dear [my name],

[sisterís name] & I have decided to write you this short letter to let you know you are always in our prayers & we genuinely care for you. I hope through this letter you will get a better understanding of trials you are going through and how to overcome them.

Firstly, I would like you to better understand your current condition. Satan, the God of this world has deceived many people into believing lies in an attempt to keep them in bondage and ultimately take them into Hell with him. This letter will outline some truths for you so that with Godís help, you can set yourself free of all sickness and mental related issues.

Through sin, man has opened doors for demonic influence in his mind & body. We are all sinners and susceptible to demonic influence. However, through the grace of God, we can be made righteous and close these doors to the enemy. The first step to deliverance is to accept Jesus as your Lord & savior and believe he died on the cross to free you from the hold of sin & to heal your mind & body. In your case there have been open doors which allowed demons to come into your life & constantly influence your mind. So even as you read this letter you will sense opposition to these words, it is demons influencing your mind to reject the truth, which will set you free.

After you accept Jesus as your Lord & Savior, you simply have to get rid of these demons affecting your mind and you will be healed from bipolar & any other mental condition. The good news is that there is nothing actually wrong with you physically or mentally. Your condition is totally demonic related and you have the choice to return to your previous state before demons invaded your life. God has far more power than the demons and has cast them out of our lives. When Jesus died on the cross for us & rose again, he defeated Satan & set us free from all sin, sickness, bondage & disease.

So you can better understand these demons, I will mention a couple in your life so you can identify their influence in your mind. One spirit is an Intellectual spirit. This spirit encourages you to research & attempt to find scientific explanations to God, creation, religion, philosophical things, etc. God simply asks us to trust in Him & believe. The Holy Spirit gives us that ability. Another spirit that may influence your mind is the spirit of death. This spirit will try and tell you things like, "Nobody loves you, you are not good enough, etc" and will try to encourage you to commit suicide. This is not true. God loves you, your friends & family also love you. The demon is only saying these lies to you because he wants to take you to hell. Do not listen to these thoughts, do not dwell on these thoughts, understand they are directly from demons that want to keep you in bondage.

I want you to understand, if you decide to accept Jesus & desire deliverance, it may be a difficult & lengthy battle. This is because currently many demons have permission to influence your mind. They take pride in the state you are in and want to keep you in bondage. But don't let this discourage you from seeking God & deliverance from demonic oppression. Jesus is the victor & will give you victory if you only put your trust in Him.

When demons see you have accepted Jesus and desire deliverance, they may attempt to make your life even worse than it currently is. They don't want to lose you. Don't give up however, demons cannot resist the power of the Holy Spirit who will direct you & be with you on your path to deliverance. The good news is that in time & it won't be too long, you will be totally free from demonic oppression. Bi-polar and any other mental condition will be gone for good & God will fill your life with love, joy, health & peace. God has a plan & purpose for your life. What Satan intended for your destruction, God will turn it into Good and I'm sure God will use you to help others that are going through similar things as yourself.

If you have any questions, please feel welcome to ask. However, remember you don't need to understand everything, you do need to trust in God.

God Bless,
    [sister's boyfriend] & [sister]

a fool on a journey pensive_pilgrim's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    So did it work? Did God fill your life with love, joy, health & peace?

Type
    INFP
    Short letter? More of el Diablo's lies! Did you try to pray away the cray after reading this? Seems weird that scripture isn't quoted.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by pathogenetic_peripatetic View Post
    So did it work? Did God fill your life with love, joy, health & peace?
    In the past few years I haven't tried to give my life to Jesus....

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by MoneyJungle View Post
    Short letter? More of el Diablo's lies! Did you try to pray away the cray after reading this?
    I only just read it today and currently I'm a skeptic of Christianity so I didn't try to pray.

Seems weird that scripture isn't quoted.
    I don't think there is much scripture to support the idea that When Jesus died on the cross for us & rose again, he defeated Satan & set us free from all sin, sickness, bondage & disease. Well at least as far as I know. BTW a sister of mine has chronic fatigue and she's sure she'll be healed soon even though it's been about 12 years.

Type
    INTP
    Yeah, I've run across this thinking before and had a few friends who thought this way. Some of them seemed to actually believe it without question, others acknowledged it sounded crazy but they just believed it passionately on faith.

In my experience, there's a lot of shit that goes down in the world that God never takes away. I do think sometimes our problems are more issues of our own making -- we get caught up in mental and emotional loops that are bad for us, and we need to reframe our perspective and then things get better -- but there is also a thing as actual mental illness / problems that come from other root causes, and assigning them to demons not only prevents them from being cured or dealt with but discourages the afflicted and also isolates them from the rest of community. What a stigma to carry -- "If you had only been more faithful or believed in God more, you could have cast these demons out; but I guess you're really on their side."

When people believe this kind of stuff, they're barely a step away from the folks who let their kids die of treatable physical ailments because "God can heal them." Also, there is a running from the Shadow... kind of like "Skein of Evil" from Star Trek. Dark aspects of self cannot be accepted as part of oneself, so they are shunted off on some other source (demons) to keep oneself unsullied and presentable. One cannot be "intellectual" (as they mention in their letter) and explore what that means (pro's and con's), one cannot wrestle with suicidal thoughts that could be coming from legitimate sources of pain that should be resolved, it's simply blamed on the devil, etc.

Anyway, it's just one more example of the ways we try to label, explain, and thus control a potentially hostile environment, to alleviate fear and anxiety. I just think the "demon" explanation is ineffective at best.

Type
    INTP
    The old intellectual demon that questions and seeks proof of God. That's the worst demon of all.

Otaku
    Type
    INTP
    My first thought was, "you meant metaphorically, right?"

Type
    INFP
    "mental illness is just demon possession"

Type
    INTP
    Also you can pray the gay away.