Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Right-wing advice, in American Latin

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner

Right-wing advice, in American Latin

Dilma Rousseff: Brazilian congress votes to impeach president

On a dark night, arguably the lowest point was when Jair Bolsonaro, the far-right deputy from Rio de Janeiro, dedicated his yes vote to Carlos Brilhante Ustra, the colonel who headed the Doi-Codi torture unit during the dictatorship era. Rousseff, a former guerrilla, was among those tortured. Bolsonaro’s move prompted left-wing deputy Jean Wyllys to spit towards him.

Eduardo Bolsonaro, his son and also a deputy, used his time at the microphone to honour the general responsible for the military coup in 1964.

Deputies were called one by one to the microphone by the instigator of the impeachment process, Cunha – an evangelical conservative who is himself accused of perjury and corruption – and one by one they condemned the president.

Yes, voted Paulo Maluf, who is on Interpol’s red list for conspiracy. Yes, voted Nilton Capixiba, who is accused of money laundering. “For the love of God, yes!” declared Silas Camara, who is under investigation for forging documents and misappropriating public funds.

And yes, voted the vast majority of the more than 150 deputies who are implicated in crimes but protected by their status as parliamentarians.

It's not that I particularly like Latin American populism, but I'm starting to get a little worried. With Both Brazil and Argentina on the right, that pretty much means the end of an era.
    Everything under heaven is in utter chaos; the situation is excellent. - Mao

Type
    INTx
    And yes, voted the vast majority of the more than 150 deputies who are implicated in crimes but protected by their status as parliamentarians.
    That immunity is something that needs to change.

On the one hand it's progress that they're not removing the president by an actual coup as Dilma charges. On the other hand, there's a case for a total house cleaning.

Type
    INTx
    I like the patriotism surrounding the impeachment vote with shouts of BRASIL, BRASIL and singing the song "Eu Sou Brasileiro" (I am Brazilian).

The president charges that part of the motivation in ousting her is sexism. Those "Tchau Querida" (Bye Dear) signs do kind of suggest that.

EDIT: On second thought maybe it's just a reference to her phone call to the former president, Lula, regarding the "just in case" cabinet position for him. Lula ends the call "Tchau Querida."

Last edited by Mike; 04-20-2016 at 01:29 AM.

Tawaci ki a Gnaska ki Osito Polar's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Madrigal View Post
    It's not that I particularly like Latin American populism, but I'm starting to get a little worried. With Both Brazil and Argentina on the right, that pretty much means the end of an era.
    Okay, was it supposed to be:

Right-wind Advice on Latin America

Right-wing Advance in Latin America

Right-wing Ad Voce en Latin America

... ?
    "I don't have psychological problems." --Madrigal

"When you write about shooting Polemarch in the head, that's more like a first-person view, like you're there looking down the sight of the gun." --Utisz

David Wong, regarding Chicago
    Six centuries ago, the pre-Colombian natives who settled here named this region with a word which in their language means "the Mouth of Shadow". Later, the Iroquois who showed up and inexplicably slaughtered every man, woman and child renamed it "Seriously, Fuck that Place". When French explorer Jacques Marquette passed through the area he marked his map with a drawing of a brownish blob emerging from between the Devil's buttocks.

Type
    intp
    It's not that I particularly like Latin American populism, but I'm starting to get a little worried. With Both Brazil and Argentina on the right, that pretty much means the end of an era.[/QUOTE]

How about you just live on your own, take care of folks you want to and fuck all else.

Type
    intp
    Latin America will implode, because it has nowhere else to go. Explosion is no longer possible. At least, not until Anglo America implodes; after that, it'll fill both continents. But unfortunately, I think the one is going to happen before the other.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Osito Polar View Post
    Okay, was it supposed to be:

Right-wind Advice on Latin America

Right-wing Advance in Latin America

Right-wing Ad Voce en Latin America

... ?
    Right-wing advice, in Latin.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ptah View Post
    No history, no exposition, no anecdote or argument changes the invariant: we are all human beings, and some humans are idiots.

Tawaci ki a Gnaska ki Osito Polar's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Mexico View Post
    Right-wing advice, in Latin.
    Done.
    "I don't have psychological problems." --Madrigal

"When you write about shooting Polemarch in the head, that's more like a first-person view, like you're there looking down the sight of the gun." --Utisz

David Wong, regarding Chicago
    Six centuries ago, the pre-Colombian natives who settled here named this region with a word which in their language means "the Mouth of Shadow". Later, the Iroquois who showed up and inexplicably slaughtered every man, woman and child renamed it "Seriously, Fuck that Place". When French explorer Jacques Marquette passed through the area he marked his map with a drawing of a brownish blob emerging from between the Devil's buttocks.

Type
    INTx
    Meanwhile in Venezuela the end of the era can't come quick enough

Type
    XXXX
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Meanwhile in Venezuela the end of the era can't come quick enough

Looks like Flint, Ferguson, Joseph Lousiana, Chicago, and sections of every other major city and state in the U.S. I wonder why they should be so outraged.
    Last edited by Makers!*; 05-02-2016 at 01:34 AM.