Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Preference vs ability

Type
    INTP

Preference vs ability

Preference does not guarantee ability or negate its opposite. We've all known brilliant feelers and dumb thinkers, less obvious are twists on other preferences. A sloppy J, a neat freak P. An introvert who does well socially, an extrovert who doesn't like people.

I come off as an ISTP, although I am very much the INTP. I am really good at sensing but it is not my preference, since I am kinda shitty with the intuition I have to use the sensing to get by. That is a have to, not a preference. It has led to a somewhat dual personality, at least as far as functionality.

Who all is shitty at their preference or genius at their non-preference?

Type
    INTP
    I do decently, socially. My success depends more on my current energy level. (My batteries drain fast, and if I don't come it with a full charge, I don't do well.)

I also have a pretty keen sense of expectations and the social dynamics reverberating throughout a situation, and I tend to be ultra-responsible and thus dutiful that way. Not that I can't choose to just blow it all off, but I do experience guilt over it. (Not even really sure how to begin to describe how my natural agnosticism meshes my desire to believe in something larger than myself and my background in Christianity.)

Type
    INTP
    You might say I've developed certain J abilities, but they are not my natural disposition.

chaotic neutral shitpost
    Type
    xxxx
    i'm pretty developed in the S and F and in some situations i'm really heavy on the J. whatever. what does this even mean.

Type
    INFP
    I rely on an ISTP persona to navigate providing for myself. It has served me well. I think I overcompensate a little in my relationships with the nurturing/smothering. I feel more at ease in blue collar spaces than among artists but I'm more of a folk singer than a mechanic in terms of aptitude and preference. My ISTP meatspace persona stems from my ideal that honest work is good for the soul or maybe just an utter lack of economic viability in vulnerability.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Ptah View Post
    You might say I've developed certain J abilities, but they are not my natural disposition.
    +1

Persona Oblongata OrionzRevenge's Avatar
    Type
    INtP
    Quote Originally Posted by 99Problems View Post
    ...I come off as an ISTP, although I am very much the INTP. I am really good at sensing but it is not my preference, since I am kinda shitty with the intuition I have to use the sensing to get by....
    The world you work in has a strong cultural demand for Sensor behavior...(I'm assuming you are still in the trades)

Latch might agree with me here, idk, but Intuitives of a visual/spatial inclination have some sensor-like presentations/strengths...I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Ptah View Post
    Yeah, the first time I noticed pictures you posted of your shelves of books and collectables I was like: No Fucking Way????

Type
    INtP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by OrionzRevenge View Post
    Latch might agree with me here, idk, but Intuitives of a visual/spatial inclination have some sensor-like presentations/strengths...I think.
    I haven't done much reading about MBTI so I don't understand the other types and functions.

Being visual/spatial means I can 'see' the insides of machines that have their covers on and how they work. I can 'see' a piece of metal I have stored in box across town and know I can use it to fix the door lock on a car I'm working on if I use my grinder to take that little tab off.

Numbers and words mean mostly nothing but charts and maps rock! Sometimes I read a sentence after I'm done looking at it. I go to client's houses and I don't know their address or even what street they live on, but I can 'see' that rock in their yard or some other feature.

I guess the in-the-moment practicality applies as I commonly walk into situations I know nothing about and get paid to solve problems of every type from computers to toilets.

I never get away from the name McGuyver.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by OrionzRevenge View Post
    The world you work in has a strong cultural demand for Sensor behavior...(I'm assuming you are still in the trades)

Of course environment places a huge role in a child's development. I wasn't allowed to watch TV or even listen to the radio. I did have 90 mountain acres to roam around on, a nice river to tubing on, free to bicycle all I wanted. I was encouraged to build things, fix things. It was a very S world with an extremely S stepfather. Now imagine having to leave home at 16 and survive, this is pre cell phone days. I went to work on a farm driving equipment, fixing equipment, handling animals, everything there is to do on a 1200 acre farm. I couldn't hack school so that is out and then I make the dumb move of getting married and having kids. Then I was locked in, had to be an S in order to survive, divorce & child support, and so on until a couple years ago when I decided it was time to go to school.

I tell you the difference between two years ago and now is incredible, areas of my brain asleep all those years awake now. School is a blast, I have thoroughly enjoyed every minute of it except that damn math Environment and opportunities surely have a large role in how or even whether preferences can manifest.

I am largely out of construction land now. I have a few customers but probably average only 40 hours a month, hard to resist the money.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by latch View Post

Being visual/spatial means I can 'see' the insides of machines that have their covers on and how they work. I can 'see' a piece of metal I have stored in box across town and know I can use it to fix the door lock on a car I'm working on if I use my grinder to take that little tab off.

Numbers and words mean mostly nothing but charts and maps rock! Sometimes I read a sentence after I'm done looking at it. I go to client's houses and I don't know their address or even what street they live on, but I can 'see' that rock in their yard or some other feature.

I guess the in-the-moment practicality applies as I commonly walk into situations I know nothing about and get paid to solve problems of every type from computers to toilets.

I never get away from the name McGuyver.
    This sounds a lot like me. If I am designing a house I can see it in my head, walk around it and figure where everything goes. I though I would love 3D cad but found it boring, 2D is great so that I can reference stuff.