View Poll Results: Which do you prefer for delimiting words in filenames?

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • Underscores

17 65.38%
  • Dashes

9 34.62%
  • Camel case

8 30.77%
  • Spaces

8 30.77%
  • None

4 15.38%
  • Other (optionally specify below)

3 11.54%
  • Protest

3 11.54%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dashes vs. underscores in file names

Type
    INxP

Dashes vs. underscores in file names

I vary between the two, which is bad.
    I want to choose one but not sure how to decide.
    So I made a poll.
    Then I added more options to broaden the discussion.
    Then I decided to allow multiple responses to not implicitly sugjugate polydelimiterism or generate a false quinchotomy.
    Then I added an "Other (specify below)" option to avoid possible criticism of my poll establishing a hegemony of acceptable delimiters.
    Then I added the term "optionally" to make it "Other (optionally specify below)" to allow for selecting "Other" but not specifying what it is.
    Then I added a "Protest" option because sometimes not responding is not enough.
    But you can still not respond if you like, I will only mind a little.
    I couldn't bring myself to make the poll anonymous though.

a fool on a journey pensive_pilgrim's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    I picked "none". I like to keep filenames as short as possible while still being descriptive enough, and I prefer to use directories, ie "~/classes/16spring/ece323/labs/lab1/schematic.png". So I guess my answer is "slashes". I find it more satisfying to keep filenames at or below eight characters, but I don't like cutting off words either. I also aim to have the first few characters unique from other directory or file names so I can hit tab as soon as possible to autocomplete the one I want.

Type
    INFP
    Dashes over underscore because then you can underline the whole thing and preserve the integrity of the file name. Underscores in usernames for aesthetic narcissism.

Glimpses do ye seem to see of that mortally intolerable truth; that all deep, earnest thinking is but the intrepid effort of the soul to keep the open independence of her sea; while the wildest winds of heaven and earth conspire to cast her on the treacherous, slavish shore?

-
    Type
    xxxx
    Dashes between words (with the obvious exception of where they belong, such as inline-skating etc.) are an eyesore. I use underscores, spaces in some file types if they're unlikely to cause problems, camel case if I'm busy, or all lower case – it's not like we're not used to long words in my mother tongue.

Mens bona regnum possidet ferrus's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    You have a system for file names?

I mean I fairly religiously use camel case in my code. But someone else has to read that, potentially. Filenames are just your own personal brain-dump.

Yes the file systems on any computer I have used are a tangled mess of inconsistent nonsense.
    Die Logik ist keine Lehre, sondern ein Spiegelbild der Welt. Die Logik ist transcendental. - Wittgenstein

-
    Type
    xxxx
    Quote Originally Posted by ferrus View Post
    You have a system for file names?

I mean I fairly religiously use camel case in my code. But someone else has to read that, potentially. Filenames are just your own personal brain-dump.

Yes the file systems on any computer I have used are a tangled mess of inconsistent nonsense.
    How do you find things, then?

Mens bona regnum possidet ferrus's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Sappho View Post
    How do you find things, then?
    I just rummage around till I get there.

It's kind of like a personal locality of reference. Most of the time you are only working with files that you have recently used and whose location you already know.
    Die Logik ist keine Lehre, sondern ein Spiegelbild der Welt. Die Logik ist transcendental. - Wittgenstein

I'm all over the place, but when I care about the files (like photos I'm going to try to keep track of or something) I typically use a combo with loose rules.

MyCrazyFile_01-01-2016_Edit-2_HateIt.jpg

Just words though? Camel.
    Quote Originally Posted by whatloveihave View Post
    I don't find you a potential threat to human society, you're not crazy. Feces.

Type
    INTP
    I tend to use spaces or camel case. Underscores and dashes are ugly to my eye (in filenames, anyway).

Type
    INTP
    That this is even a question shows how spoiled we've become. I clearly remember a time when @pathogenetic_peripatetic's method was the method because you had to make the most of what you had. The time before long file names. Furthermore, at the dawn of my file naming, not only did I only have eight characters, I don't remember always having access to lowercase--or dashes. Alphanumeric, and underscore, but with only eight characters... underscoring was used very judiciously, as were vowels.

I'm a little surprised the poll doesn't mention periods (or full stops) as modern Windows environments allow you to go all willy nilly with those too.

I recommend underscores over dashes with long filenames. Spaces are cool, but I'm still a little wary of them because I find them a little untrustworthy. Dashes are untrustworthy too, but they're also (as @Sappho argued) aesthetically repugnant outside their proper demesne. The reason I don't wholly trust dashes or spaces is because not every piece of software is as egalitarian in recognizing characters as modern OSes, and the more you rely on the luxuries of modern OSes for file naming convention, the more bound to them you become--there's something a little absurd about making a file that could have been accessed by an older machine if not for the character set used in naming it. I'm in favor of underscores just for the greater likelihood of the name being acceptable to whatever I try to use to access the file.

Camel case is better for compatibility, but uglier and harder to read. I use it in situations where I want delimited words and underscores aren't permitted for whatever reason.

Of course, if I stuck with my concerns about backwards compatibility, I wouldn't make long filenames... but I haven't had a need to use a machine that didn't permit them at the OS level for a long time. I have my doubts that that particular restriction is going to bite me anytime soon--and if it does, it will probably be at the program level, and I'll just rename the relevant file as needed to make it accessible. It's not like I haven't dealt with that sort of problem before.
    --Mention of these things is so taboo, they aren't even allowed a name for the prohibition. It is just not done.