0 0%
  • California Institute of Technology

0 0%
  • University of Washington

0 0%
  • University of Illinois—Urbana-Champaign

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: Where would you rather attend Grad School (M.Sc, Computer Engineering)?

Type
    INTP

Where would you rather attend Grad School (M.Sc, Computer Engineering)?

Why?

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    There is far more to the selection of a grad school than just the school. In fact, choosing is more about choosing your major professor than it is about choosing the school. Who your major professor is will be the main determinant in your day to day life in grad school. Interview his/her current and former grad students to get a feel for whether or not they consider him/her saint or satanic. Find a good one, and then convince him or her to choose you.
    Insults are effective only where emotion is present. -- Spock, "Who Mourns for Adonais?" Stardate 3468.1.

I'm not avoiding socializing I'm helping socializing avoid me! --MoneyJungle

Mens bona regnum possidet ferrus's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Sistamatic View Post
    There is far more to the selection of a grad school than just the school. In fact, choosing is more about choosing your major professor than it is about choosing the school. Who your major professor is will be the main determinant in your day to day life in grad school. Interview his/her current and former grad students to get a feel for whether or not they consider him/her saint or satanic.
    Maybe it's different in the states but my impression here (having done two masters) is that this is much more true for a PhD than a masters. With a masters the thesis is sufficiently small you can typically go your own way with minimum assistance (as long as you have a good grasp of the topic in question) - a PhD requires a full induction into the academic community, and thus something like a mentor who can guide you around the protocol of that world (and politics, publishing etc.).
    Die Logik ist keine Lehre, sondern ein Spiegelbild der Welt. Die Logik ist transcendental. - Wittgenstein

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    As a total outsider to that field that doesn't know the difference between the programs offered at these schools (so take this with a grain of salt):

Stanford or MIT, schools with general reputations like those I think will land you more interviews post graduation. Of course you'll have to not suck to land the jobs, but these schools at least seem like they will open up more opportunities in the longer run.

a fool on a journey pensive_pilgrim's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Those are all great schools that would look good on a resume. I guess MIT, Stanford, Caltech and Berkeley might stand out a little more than the others. If these were all options for me I'd probably choose based on how much money I'd be getting to live on/cost of living, and how enjoyable it would be to live in the area. And of course I'd want to find about research being done in my particular scope of interest.

Senior Member Tetris Champion notdavidlynch's Avatar
    Type
    INXP
    I'd also consider the location and your ability to network, not just with peers in your department but students in other departments and people and companies in the surrounding area. Of course, it all depends on what the hell you actually want to do. If you want to eventually get a PhD, or work in research in general, then any one of them would do, but MIT, Stanford, Berkeley and CalTech/CMU stand out (in that order). If your goal is to get a super high paying job working at a well-funded startup or top company, then I think that Stanford is the clear #1 and MIT #2, but again pretty much any of them would do.

For my own interests, MIT would be #1 and Georgia Tech #2 (Carnegie Mellon as well), but that's not for computer engineering - more for MIT's Media Lab and GT's Digital Media. Heavily considering applying to GT within the next couple of years, but I wouldn't look forward to moving back to Georgia.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by ferrus View Post
    Maybe it's different in the states but my impression here (having done two masters) is that this is much more true for a PhD than a masters. With a masters the thesis is sufficiently small you can typically go your own way with minimum assistance (as long as you have a good grasp of the topic in question) - a PhD requires a full induction into the academic community, and thus something like a mentor who can guide you around the protocol of that world (and politics, publishing etc.).
    I wonder if that isn't subject dependent as well. I needed my mentor to learn the ins and outs of working with federally protected species in the field. My mentor and I were sort of a research team. I was his last grad student before retirement, and he was a department head. He was this awesome total genius INTP grandpa with wild white curly hair and a long white unevenly cut mustache. He kept a brown suit with a bow tie in his lab to change into when he had to do something department-head official... he actually would tie a string on the door to let me know he was changing clothes in the lab as I was the only other person with a key, but otherwise wore shredded ancient jeans and stained t-shirts everywhere he went. He'd been there so long you could move something over in his office and find a memo from 1972 under it. He was pre-computers, so I wound up teaching him a lot too. He had to head the department (a position he was none to happy about having to take), and I was one of only three grad students, two of whom were PhD students who lived out of town and did their research out of state. I co-taught all his classes with him, and learned all I know about fieldwork from going with him into the field. Sometimes I wonder if I should have gotten a PhD for my thesis. I got three publications out of it.

When I looked at my situation compared to that of many of my fellow grad students, I felt as though I'd won the mentor lottery. Maybe that's why I tend to put so much emphasis on it.
    Insults are effective only where emotion is present. -- Spock, "Who Mourns for Adonais?" Stardate 3468.1.

I'm not avoiding socializing I'm helping socializing avoid me! --MoneyJungle

Type
    INTP
    Lot of good schools, my preference today would be one of the California schools. I went to Georgia Tech for my masters degree in EE but that was thirty years ago. I went there because a leader in a field I thought I was interested in was there, but it turned out I wasn't too keen on the topic after all. Never know where life is going to take you, so at this stage make picks that open up your options.