• 5,001 - 10,000

2 20.00%
  • 10,001 - 50,000

1 10.00%
  • 50,001+

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What size company would you rather work at?

Type
    INTP

What size company would you rather work at?

What's your reasoning? What have been your experiences? What's your job title?

Type
    INTP
    when you say company does that include government organization as well?

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by username View Post
    when you say company does that include government organization as well?
    What do you mean?

Type
    INTP
    I have not experienced enough variety to say. I've worked at a 1K-5K organization my entire career. It's very Dilbert like. I assume an even bigger company would be even more Dilbert like. Maybe better perks (like pension plans, health care, etc).

I can see a smaller place being good, but there is risk that if you clash with one of the principles you are probably out the door. I would assume less benefits and less job security in general. But I can't say for sure.

Government is always a win if you are not a real go getter (most INTPs). Above average wages for below average effort. Gold plated benefits and job security. If I had to do it all again, I would chase a government job until I got one.

Type
    INTP
    I've worked for everything from a 100k+ company to my current 3 person firm. I don't think it makes a difference. They each have their pluses and minuses. Every job will have the annoying people that make you want to quit. A larger company will have more of them but you'll interact with each of them less. A small company might only have 1 or 2 but you'll be stuck with them all day. While the rules at a large company might seem overly rigid and ridiculous when you're there, the complete lack of policy at a small company will get on your nerves too when the owner or some other power hungry manager starts dicking around. I never factor job security into my calculations since I have in demand skills and no obligations.

Type
    INTP
    I work in a company that has went from being ~200 people with a small management core. To a factory that is now part of a huge multinational. It's a less cliche industry in a lot of respects but it is still less fluid and much more buggered in red tape. Good ideas being stymied vs. safety in numbers I would take the former. It's to frustrating watching opportunities slip by.

Type
    INTJ
    INTPx Award Winner
    500-10,000

I think the sweet spot is in that range. I might have gone a bit too high, because any more than 2,000 and they likely already have your replacement and a fully recoverable workforce.

I remember doing some time in the cube farms at [mega bank] and it was like you could just not show up and no one would notice. In fact, I remember one bad wintry day, no one came to tell us that we could leave and I almost got stranded on the interstate as the snow came down fast.
    Chris Brown did nothing wrong

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Can I get a large for the price of a medium if I make it a value meal?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ptah View Post
    No history, no exposition, no anecdote or argument changes the invariant: we are all human beings, and some humans are idiots.

Type
    INTP
    All real jobs have been in large organizations (5K and up). At this point in life, I'm ready to call my own shots, even if only for myself.