Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Supplements that work for you

Type
    xxxx

Supplements that work for you

Please tell me about your anecdotal experiences. Any recommendations? I am very interested in tinkering around with herbs / supplements / teas & tisanes; it is akin to modern witchcraft. I'm always looking for ways to strengthen my body and mind. So what have you used to varying degrees of success? What has worked and what hasn't?

What has worked for me:
    - Rosebud / rosepetal tea: it makes me feel like a flower and my skin rly good. Also I love roses
    - Exercise - wow, it is lifechanging to start exercising. Cardio makes a big difference. I am a lot more confident and I don't get anxiety as much. My dysmenorrhea is gone too
    - Curcumin - I haven't been sick once this year and I attribute it to ingesting curcumin tablets daily. It's not enough to just take turmeric by itself as it has low bioavailability. You need to mix it with black pepper. The tablets I buy have pepper and ginger alongside the curcumin. It's fat-soluble so I take it with a heavy meal or avocado. It's anti-inflammatory and they say inflammation is the root of all disease...
    - Blueberries - I think it just improved my life cos it's delicious

What hasn't:
    - Chia seeds - don't see any real benefit, if I wanted fibre I would just stick with fruits instead of wasting my caloric quota on this
    - Matcha - I buy top shit ceremonial grade and it still hasn't "done" anything, so I'll stick to eating it in yummy desserts and donuts n_n
    - The "hair skin nails" supplements - makes me extremely nauseous
    - Maca powder - I first ingested the non-gelatinised powder and it gave me sharp stomach pains. The gelatinised version was ok on my stomach but I experienced no increase in libido or energy.

Things I'm looking into:
    - l-arginine & l-lysine - to increase HGH. I don't know much about this but will research as time goes on
    - Melatonin - I think this is illegal in Australia? I can't find anything in stores besides homeopathic versions
    - ??? any recommendations.

**also I know a similar thread has been made but I think this is slightly diff and merits its own thread**
    "I fucking hate the cold!" - Wim Hof

art and flowers: https://www.instagram.com/cloudlilt/

Type
    intp
    -Caffeine: Helps me not fall asleep
    -Modafinil: Helps me pay attention and be productive
    -Alcohol: Helps me fall asleep
    -Ambien: Helps me fall asleep with only a little bit of alcohol

Also, I'll ship you melatonin if you want. We can start a business. Are you good at pushing?

Type
    xNxx
    Quote Originally Posted by kali View Post
    - Melatonin - I think this is illegal in Australia? I can't find anything in stores besides homeopathic versions
    try tryptophan instead- maybe its legal, and it's actually the precursor to melatonin, meaning your body metabolizes it into melatonin.

Type
    xNxx
    Caffeine, I'm part coffee bean by now
    Fish oil, helps recovery, skin feels soft, makes me calm
    Creatine, good nootropic, also makes me sweatier and stronger in the gym
    Beta alanine, great for lifting
    Ashwagandha, my new love. Makes me calm, strong, smart and horny. Like where has this been my whole life. The only "adaptogen" I've ever liked
    Noopept, I like it better than racetams, but I'll take them in conjunction
    Aniracetam, primaracetam, almost like slight psychedelics
    ZMC zinc magnesium calcium, I don't feel it but it's supposed to be good for me

Type
    INTP
    I personally have not found melatonin helpful. But there is one member here (can't recall who) who was mega-dosing and swore it helped him sleep. But at 5mg (or 10) it wasn't doing anything for me. YMMV.

Exercise doesn't count as a supplement. No doubt it is good for you though.

Type
    INTJ
    INTPx Award Winner
    I am generally against taking medication and this somewhat extends to supplements, since I believe that everyone is getting most of the nutrients they need and then some. Those that don't are choosing to fill their bodies with shit.
    The only things I use are acetaminophen (I know, it's toxic) for occasional migraines and airplane seat induced back pain, ambien to sleep, when my routine is fucked up by jet lag, or I'm in a weird new place for the first time (maybe convinced there are bed bugs - it happens)
    Lastly, I like to have a drink of canned/chilled Starbucks Doubleshot energy mocha, it comes in a honking big 500ml can. I think it's mostly caffeine with guarana. I have one of those on an empty stomach at 8:30 am and I'm usually speaking faster than ever by 9:30. In work, I'm generally reeling off lots of complicated acrnyms and techniques, so it can make that a bit hard to follow unless you know exactly what I'm talking about. I kind of enjoy 'supercharging' myself like that a little bit. I generally don't drink alcohol, so I guess I prefer a stimulant vice over a depressant. I don't want to be numbed, I want to be aware of everything with clarity. I often get results at work while hyped up this way.

Now we know... Asteroids Champion ACow's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    I admit, i'm pretty much convinced supplement culture is just another phenomenon of internalising capitalism/marketing telling us all to buy more useless shit to put in our bodies because we're all obsessed with not being complete/needing fixing...

Multivitamins can turn your pee fluorescent though. And beetroot recently made my shit alarmingly red until I remembered what I ate the night before.

If that isn't success and working for me then I don't know what is...

Edit: Coffee both gives me the shits, and allows me to stereotypically look like this though:

So you know, win win!
    Last edited by ACow; 05-28-2016 at 07:53 AM.

Type
    INxP
    My parents used to force me to take cod liver oil every day. Was that just like a thing in rural Ireland or was that everywhere I wonder? /time to clear this up

Type
    INTP
    None that make a noticeable difference to me. I guess Vitaman D does something. If I don't take it my doctor gets on my case that my levels are low and if I do take it my levels are normal. I don't feel any different taking it.

I take a bunch of other supplements too that are supposed to help prevent migraines. They do not help with my migraines, but for some reason I keep taking them. I think I stupidly hope that maybe someday they might magically start helping.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Linden tea is good for sleep. I always fall asleep before it cools down and wake up to find the untouched cup on my night table. You should try it.
    Everything under heaven is in utter chaos; the situation is excellent. - Mao