Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Supplements that work for you

Type
    INTP
    Glucosamine-chondroitin. I watched a older arthritic dog who could barely move return to near-puppylike energy and mobility when given this, triple strength, as recommended by the vet. An orthopedic surgeon at the Mayo clinic recommended it to me for arthritis. There's no way to measure how much worse I'd be without it so I can't say quantitatively how it's helped but I credit it for the range of motion in my shoulders not being complete shit. Also: not a supplement but prolotherapy is amazing for arthritis, closest thing there is to a cure.

Evening primrose oil, for dry eyes. Not a cure but it helps, I notice worse symptoms if I stop taking it.

Viviscal, promotes hair growth in terms of speed but it does not make my hair any thicker. Does it get longer, faster? Yes.

MCT oil helps me poop. I can't speak to any of its other claims like promoting a ketogenic state.

Tylenol PM for insomnia.

Type
    INTJ
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Utisz View Post
    I really liked liver! Never had pig liver though, mainly just cow's liver done in a batter. We should have swapped childhoods.

heh, imagine that if you grew up like how I grew up and I grew up how like you grew up, I wonder what we'd be like.

You'd be an honorary feisty pikey rude buoy.
    Big ups the junglist massiv, ennit?
    I'm brilliant and everyone else is an arse.

Type
    INTP
    N-Acetyl Semax Amidate
    N-Acetyl Selank
    NSI-189
    Cerebrolysin
    Fasoracetam
    Coluracetam
    NGF eye drops

Tianeptine Sulfate (depression)
    Phenibut (anxiety-- 1-2g (split across 2 servings) 1-2 times per week to avoid addiction and harsh side effects-- combines well with fasoracetam, which slows tolerance)
    Memantine (10mg/day + 5mg/night (maybe) -- helps with OCD, static in thoughts, cravings, addictions, pain, depression, etc-- no need to use unless there's an explicit need for it-- taper up in 2.5mg increments every 3-4 days to avoid initial side effects)

Adrafinil (helps overcome procrastination)

Acetyl L-Carnitine
    L-Carnitine L-Tartrate
    Propionyl L-Carnitine

Chlorophyll
    Resveratrol
    Astaxanthin
    (and any other antioxidants)

Magnesium
    Zinc
    Niacin (Vitamin B-3-- 1g-- tapered up to in 250mg increments-- the raw kind that causes flushing-- good for cholesterol and other things)

300mg 5-HTP + 3000mg L-Tyrosine + 400mg EGCG (if you don't have the gene that causes it to mess up your liver) --- good to take for about a month every once in a while
    Last edited by baccheion; 08-16-2016 at 08:24 PM.

Fish oil pills

Green tea

Weed

Inflammation is bad, mmk
    Last edited by flurps; 08-05-2016 at 02:58 AM.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Limey View Post
    I am generally against taking medication and this somewhat extends to supplements, since I believe that everyone is getting most of the nutrients they need and then some. Those that don't are choosing to fill their bodies with shit.
    The only things I use are acetaminophen (I know, it's toxic) for occasional migraines and airplane seat induced back pain, ambien to sleep, when my routine is fucked up by jet lag, or I'm in a weird new place for the first time (maybe convinced there are bed bugs - it happens)
    Lastly, I like to have a drink of canned/chilled Starbucks Doubleshot energy mocha, it comes in a honking big 500ml can. I think it's mostly caffeine with guarana. I have one of those on an empty stomach at 8:30 am and I'm usually speaking faster than ever by 9:30. In work, I'm generally reeling off lots of complicated acrnyms and techniques, so it can make that a bit hard to follow unless you know exactly what I'm talking about. I kind of enjoy 'supercharging' myself like that a little bit. I generally don't drink alcohol, so I guess I prefer a stimulant vice over a depressant. I don't want to be numbed, I want to be aware of everything with clarity. I often get results at work while hyped up this way.
    Given your INTJ'ness, you should get into vegetable juicing (Vitamix'ing vegetables-- juice fasting), intermittent fasting (eating within an 8-hour window), Ortho-Core multivitamins, fish oil, N-Acetyl Semax Amidate (nasal spray), and N-Acetyl Selank. I'd be curious to see how it affects you, especially if you combine it with some sort of high-intensity (anaerobic) cardio or weightlifting routine. INTJs (and INFJs (your wife)), according to Socionics, have health as a "point of least resistance," so maybe doing this would be something you actually enjoy. Even without the vegetable juicing, you can do the other stuff.

I'm also curious how you'd be affected by a "cough syrup reset" (Robitussin). That is, taking 6.4mg of DXM (pure Dextromethorphan) per kilogram body weight, then lying around for 5 hours listening to brainwave entrainment audio (Neuro-Programmer 3) as it shuts down your NMDA receptors and the body slowly upregulates them. DXM doesn't combine well with many things (+ MAOI = death. + SSRI = serotonin syndrome = death), and can be dangerous if used at this dosage more than once every 2 weeks, but it's so cheap and accessible, I can't help but wondering what effect it would have on you. Do you have any affirmations of self-hypnosis-like commands you'd like to program into yourself? I'm wondering if listening to brainwave entrainment audio after ingesting DXM would help settle in the suggestions.
    Last edited by baccheion; 08-05-2016 at 06:59 AM.

Type
    INTJ
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by baccheion View Post
    Given your INTJ'ness, you should get into vegetable juicing (Vitamix'ing vegetables-- juice fasting), intermittent fasting (eating within an 8-hour window), Ortho-Core multivitamins, fish oil, N-Acetyl Semax Amidate (nasal spray), and N-Acetyl Selank. I'd be curious to see how it affects you, especially if you combine it with some sort of high-intensity (anaerobic) cardio or weightlifting routine. INTJs (and INFJs (your wife)), according to Socionics, have health as a "point of least resistance," so maybe doing this would be something you actually enjoy. Even without the vegetable juicing, you can do the other stuff.

I'm also be curious how you'd be affected by a "cough syrup rest" (Robitussin). That is, taking 6.4mg of DXM (pure Dextromethorphan) per kilogram body weight, then lying around for 5 hours listening to brainwave entrainment audio (Neuro-Programmer 3) as it shuts down your NMDA receptors and the body slowly upregulates them. DXM doesn't combine well with many things (+ MAOI = death. + SSRI = serotonin syndrome = death), and can be dangerous if used at this dosage more than once every 2 weeks, but it's so cheap and accessible, I can't help but wondering what effect it would have on you. Do you have any affirmations of self-hypnosis-like commands you'd like to program into yourself? I'm wondering if listening to brainwave entrainment audio after ingesting DXM would help settle in the suggestions.
    The way that your supplement and drug suggestion advice is received is like the first daffodil of spring that ends my supplement information winter, pushing its way through the dark soil, it's bulb deep within. Your information is beautiful, has anybody ever told you that?
    Take all of the different things I could be saying right now and scatter them around in your mind, like little orbs of light --like specs of dust --briefly illuminated by a crepuscular ray --hitting a polished parquet floor by the orange afternoon sun --pick your favorite one, choose the universe that contains the response where your brain was lit up by the response, facts, feelings, memories, deduction, taste, light up your synapses. Get that brain function going.
    I'm brilliant and everyone else is an arse.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Limey View Post
    The way that your supplement and drug suggestion advice is received is like the first daffodil of spring that ends my supplement information winter, pushing its way through the dark soil, it's bulb deep within. Your information is beautiful, has anybody ever told you that?
    Take all of the different things I could be saying right now and scatter them around in your mind, like little orbs of light --like specs of dust --briefly illuminated by a crepuscular ray --hitting a polished parquet floor by the orange afternoon sun --pick your favorite one, choose the universe that contains the response where your brain was lit up by the response, facts, feelings, memories, deduction, taste, light up your synapses. Get that brain function going.
    Wandering aimlessly through the fog
    placed at each corner
    awaiting each moment
    it lingers
    carrying onward with it
    a steady gaze

Dare any to tear through
    to the bitterness within
    should it seek forth
    forward or through
    reverie be made
    to believe

Why then should they
    pray, tell, or fear
    what would it even mean
    should it end
    or begin again
    marking the time when
    it all came to be again

What will it take
    to have it flow freely
    from within

What more is to be said
    for it to be seen
    what needs to be

How hard is it to believe
    that even then it's seen more
    and knows what's meant to be

Does it even matter
    that they dare not mention
    and feign an embrace

What's there to it
    say it
    then say it again
    then there again
    Last edited by baccheion; 08-16-2016 at 08:58 PM.

Type
    xxxx
    INTPx Award Winner
    I just ordered Astaxanthin and Reveratrol from iherb and I'm so freaken excited.

Here are the supplements I indulge in so far. I take most of them sporadically, just so I don't build a tolerance or anything. Not sure if that's how it works but yeah.

Blueberries // I take this AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE. Sometimes I eat half a kilo in one day. I'm convinced this will grant me immortality.

Green tea // My tea of choice. I think this induces a hormetic response in my body. Hence why it sometimes gives me nausea.

Exercise // Life changer, am planning on taking up strength training as well as cardio.

Niacinamide // Hands down the best supplement for glowing skin. Forget that Hair Skin Nails crap they try and sell you. If there's an event on where I want my skin to look bright and refreshed, I pop 500mg of Niacinamide a few hours before.

Curcumin // Still great. I take a few around my period.

Sublingual B12 // I'm not vegan but still take this under my mouth sometimes because it's delicious.

NAC // Don't know if this does much, doesn't help with my now-cured dermatillomania, but I take it once in a while just for funsies.

Other supplements I just take because I'm sure it'll help somehow:

- Grapeseed extract
    - A women's multi which includes gingko biloba, spirulina, iron, etc.
    - Ashwaghanda
    - Alpha-Lipoic Acid
    - L-Carnitine
    - Beta-Alanine
    - BCAAs
    - Creatine
    - A liver tonic with Milk Thistle
    I fucking hate the cold! - Wim Hof

Type
    Intp
    - multivitamins
    - fish oil
    - glutamine (when needed)

Type
    INTP
    I make a big lot of veggie juice every week or so that's awesome for antioxidants and general healthiness: Carrots, beetroot, celery, cucumber & spinach.

I take b12 and molybdenum for sulphite intolerance, as well as avoiding sulphites in food where possible. I was taking armodafinil every day, but going without it for a while I find I have a better distribution of energy throughout the day so I think I'll just use it as needed for heavy brain work or staying awake.

Quote Originally Posted by baccheion View Post
    I'm also curious how you'd be affected by a "cough syrup reset" (Robitussin). That is, taking 6.4mg of DXM (pure Dextromethorphan) per kilogram body weight, then lying around for 5 hours listening to brainwave entrainment audio (Neuro-Programmer 3) as it shuts down your NMDA receptors and the body slowly upregulates them. DXM doesn't combine well with many things (+ MAOI = death. + SSRI = serotonin syndrome = death), and can be dangerous if used at this dosage more than once every 2 weeks, but it's so cheap and accessible, I can't help but wondering what effect it would have on you. Do you have any affirmations of self-hypnosis-like commands you'd like to program into yourself? I'm wondering if listening to brainwave entrainment audio after ingesting DXM would help settle in the suggestions.
    That is super interesting -- I'd never heard of anyone else using DXM for health reasons. I've done the same thing periodically (along with sensory deprivation + headphones with white noise or music). It puts my body into a kind of purge mode where it flushes out accumulated sulphites (which my body doesn't process very well on its own). I'm not sure of the mechanism, it might be a chemical process where the DXM helps process sulphites into sulphates or it might just be the state it puts my mind & body in to facilitate the process. It's not exactly a fun trip, but I suspect when used this way it has potential for self-healing in general. What effects does it have for you?

Quote Originally Posted by kali View Post
    I just ordered Astaxanthin and Reveratrol from iherb and I'm so freaken excited.
    What led you to Astaxinthin? It sounds like it could be worth taking but I haven't read much about it.