Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Living in the Woods

Type
    INTP

Living in the Woods

Aka the miserable counterpoint to @Makers!* nature thread.

Actually, to be fair, living in the woods is at its most miserable when I spend the least time here, now that I work in the city full time. Back when I was a stay at home mom it still kind of sucked but at least I could take advantage of rainy days and winter time (when everything that can hurt or annoy you lies dormant) to spend significant amounts of time outside. Also the kid was little enough I could just strap him to my back and take off on a hike for an hour or two and he wouldn't make a peep. ...How things have changed.
    Last edited by TeresaJ; 06-06-2016 at 12:50 AM.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by TeresaJ View Post
    Aka the miserable counterpoint to @makers* nature thread.

Actually, to be fair, living in the woods is at its most miserable when I spend the least time here, now that I work in the city full time. Back when I was a stay at home mom it still kind of sucked but at least I could take advantage of rainy days and winter time (when everything that can hurt or annoy you lies dormant) to spend significant amounts of time outside. Also the kid was little enough I could just strap him to my back and take off on a hike for an hour or two and he wouldn't make a peep. ...How things have changed.
    If my cat is driving me crazy for attention, all I have to do is stick him in front of a window.

I lived in the woods alone a lot doing my grad research. It changed my perspective considerably. I think I could do with a few weeks in the woods again. It's one of those things you need to be single to get away with though. My husband is a worrier and would insist on phone contact, and too addicted to convenience to do it with me. Maybe they'll make a virtual "the woods" for my VR, rofl.
    Insults are effective only where emotion is present. -- Spock, "Who Mourns for Adonais?" Stardate 3468.1.

I'm not avoiding socializing I'm helping socializing avoid me! --MoneyJungle

Type
    INTP
    ...That reminds me of the worst thing about when I had more free time. It's my parents' house out here and my mom would have the tv on all the time during the day. The nice thing about living out here is the peace and quiet and you're blasting the Today show.

Peace and quiet is kind of a joke, though. Someone is always mowing their lawn. That's all the people out here do.
    Last edited by TeresaJ; 06-06-2016 at 12:51 AM.

a fool on a journey pensive_pilgrim's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    I miss being able to look up at night and see the stars. I miss the quiet, and being able to feel alone outdoors. I don't miss having to drive at least twenty minutes to get anywhere like work or stores.

Type
    INTP
    There's also a navy air base nearby, so a variety of different aircraft are constantly flying overhead. In the winter when I would go hiking and everything else was quiet, every ten minutes there'd be some sort of plane.

And did I mention the mosquitoes and the chiggers and the ticks that are here at least 75% of the year?

The birds are nice. I can't complain about all the birdsong.

For the past couple of nights I've been up late, and I hear what I assume are raccoons squabbling and screeching at each other in our immediate vicinity. In the morning there's animal shit all over the back deck.

Today as I was snoozing in the car (the toddler fell asleep on the ride home - never ever ever disturb a sleeping toddler) I was awoken by this God forsaken shrieking. It sounded almost human was but totally inarticulate. It woke the toddler up, too. I was already in front of the house so I quickly dumped the sleepy toddler on my dad (who bitched about it) so I could go investigate. I figured it was coming from the other side of the lake, but I didn't see anything. I returned to the house, packed the toddler back up in the car, and drove around, but it was becoming less frequent.

I drove to the other street, which I thought might be closer, but no one who was outside had heard it.

When I came back home, I didn't hear it again.

...Probably a dog dying in some horrible way. I guess it was only about ten or fifteen minutes of outright agony. ...I hope it's dead.
    Too bad, Lady Une. You were far too lenient.
    As a soldier, yes. But as a civilian I lived an austere life.

a fool on a journey pensive_pilgrim's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    ^See, where I'm at all that would be lost in the constant drone of traffic, the train tracks a few blocks away, and the construction that's always going on somewhere nearby. Just the other day they had this huge woodchipper going across the street that rumbled my entire building for hours, and even that was barely enough to wake me up early. There's never anything approaching silence here and I don't even live in a big city, there it's worse with sirens all the time and even heavier traffic. One of the first things I notice when I go to visit my mom is the quiet. If I get used to sleeping in a place like that it's hard to readjust coming back to a busier place.

Except for that screeching I mean, that sounds awful.

Oh and gas lawnmowers are horrible, also leafblowers. Fucking people with their leafblowers, it drives me insane. In the fall they're out there every single day, burning gas and making a racket to do something that would probably be quicker and easier with a rake. I'm not sure if I'd prefer mosquitoes to leafblowers... that would be a tough choice.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by TeresaJ View Post
    Someone is always mowing their lawn. That's all the people out here do.
    I'm starting to miss mowing my lawn. I lived in the south for nine years and once made the mistake of putting weed 'n feed on my lawn in February like all the garden supply stores tell you to. Had to mow 2-3x a week for that whole summer and my lawn still looked like a jungle in between mowings. In the south it's easy to get things to grow. The hard part is getting things not to grow. The forest was forever trying to take back my yard.

Type
    INTP
    @pathogenetic_peripatetic If we were to have an INTPx retreat, it should be in the most isolated, least obnoxious location known to man.

...The Clock! (note to self: somehow bring up my obsession with the clock of the long now in every thread)
    Last edited by TeresaJ; 06-06-2016 at 02:28 AM.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by starla View Post
    The forest was forever trying to take back my yard.
    Everything is so... green. We have a few flowering plants, but they get drowned in the green. Everything is green. That moist, sunny, summer green.

There is something... glorious about it. And by now most of those son of a bitch little prickly plants have been taken over by clover so I can walk barefoot over all of our lawn again.

Type
    XXXX
    I was referred to this hypothesis yesterday by a retired botany professor.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biophilia_hypothesis

The biophilia hypothesis suggests that there is an instinctive bond between human beings and other living systems. Edward O. Wilson introduced and popularized the hypothesis in his book, Biophilia (1984).[1] He defines biophilia as "the urge to affiliate with other forms of life".[2]
    I like E.O. Wilson, having read one of his books. I think Biophilia is another I'd like to check out, if only to confirm my bias. I know I certainly feel better when I'm backpacking... maybe not more comfortable or immediately happy, sometimes being outdoors is a slog, but I feel more human, or at one with myself--- whole and complete. Gary Snyder, in his essay Good, Wild, Sacred, describes the feeling well, and perhaps, points to its source, "contact with the real self":

The Wilderness pilgrim's step-by-step breath-by-breath walk up a trail, into those snowfields, carrying all on the back, is so ancient a set of gestures as to bring a profound sense of body-mind joy.

Not just for backpackers, of course. The same happens to those who sail in the ocean, kayak fjords or rivers, tend a garden, peel garlic, even sit on a meditation cushion. The point is to make contact with the real world, real self. Sacred refers to that which helps take us (not only human beings) out of our little selves into the whole mountains-and-rivers mandala universe
    I don't think I'd ever live completely distant from society, but I'll always have a quick escape route from it.
    Last edited by Makers!*; 06-06-2016 at 05:23 PM.