• Stay

7 18.92%
Page 2 of 61 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: Brexit - Britain leaving the European Union

Persona Oblongata OrionzRevenge's Avatar
    Type
    INtP
    Quote Originally Posted by Madrigal View Post
    ...In his book, the Global Minotaur, he destroys the EU as a US imperial creation. But when a decision has to be made he alleges that we're not ready to deal with the worst. People can never be ready for the worst. By definition that is what a crisis implies.
    Or maybe he just really wanted the fat royalties you can milk from anything damning the Imperialist Yanks???

I didn't much care for Obama going over to Merry Ole and saying how much he disapproved of Brexit.

But I don't cotton to the notion that the EU is an American plot either. Methinks the main motivation was for Europe to get its economic arteries so co-mingled that it would be unthinkable to try to bleed each other white again.
    Creativity is the residue of time wasted. ~ Albert Einstein

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by ferrus View Post
    That said I'm not spending money on a postal vote whose marginal utility is next to zero.
    Are you allowed to vote as a non-EU citizen?

Mens bona regnum possidet ferrus's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Ependymin View Post
    Wut?
    Die Logik ist keine Lehre, sondern ein Spiegelbild der Welt. Die Logik ist transcendental. - Wittgenstein

Type
    INTP
    I'm with Ferrus, I can't be arsed driving 100 miles to cast a vote in a choice between two different flavours of dog shit.

I don't believe in democracy, so the undemocratic nature of the EU does not hugely bother me, my only real factor is if the UK or EU government is more in tune with my personal beliefs. Neither are, so it makes zero difference to me which wins.

From a selfish perspective, most of my business is in EU exports. However if Brexit effects that I will just move production to the Netherlands or Ireland.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by ferrus View Post
    Wut?
    I thought "I don't want to have to go through get more Spanish bureaucracy to get a work permit and the health checks etc. that being a non-EU citizen working in an EU country brings" meant you weren't an EU citizen. Sorry, it's really hot here.

It sounds like the name of a delicious cookie. I'd eat a Brexit. Probably involves buttered pretzels and caramel sandwiched between chocolate covered wafer. Mmm.

Type
    INTJ
    INTPx Award Winner
    He's an EU citizen by both birth and location.

I, on the other hand have been out of Britain for 18 years now and the cutoff was that you had to have been on the electoral register in the last 15 years.
    The US presidential election has been a real dog and pony show this season, but the Brexit, even though it doesn't affect me at all really, feels more important.

I've listened to a lot of people whine about issues that were directly caused by the EU, not least of which being forced immigration of unskilled workers and religious fanatics.
    I consider this to be their last chance power drive before the EU superhighway gets jammed with broken heroes.

We talk about Trump's talk of putting up a big wall, well, the EU is effectively the same thing around Europe as it seeks to increasingly trade in a closed loop of protectionism. Paying unproductive workers to work less for more benefits in a false economy, clinging to the last remnants of completely outdated industrial production and manufacturing, forcing the epoch to remain pre-information age and full move to a service/IP economy.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by djm View Post
    I don't believe in democracy
    What would you prefer in its place?

Mens bona regnum possidet ferrus's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    I thought "I don't want to have to go through get more Spanish bureaucracy to get a work permit and the health checks etc. that being a non-EU citizen working in an EU country brings" meant you weren't an EU citizen. Sorry, it's really hot here.
    Think about what I was saying for a while and the context of the discussion and when the obvious conditional structure of my statement dawns on you then come back to me.
    Die Logik ist keine Lehre, sondern ein Spiegelbild der Welt. Die Logik ist transcendental. - Wittgenstein

Type
    INTP
    What would you prefer in its place?
    I would rather make my own decisions. Lets be honest, look around you, do you think everyone you see has an equally valid opinion? really? Most people need to be told what to do.