• Stay

7 18.92%
Page 3 of 61 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: Brexit - Britain leaving the European Union

Mens bona regnum possidet ferrus's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Limey View Post
    I've listened to a lot of people whine about issues that were directly caused by the EU, not least of which being forced immigration of unskilled workers and religious fanatics.
    I consider this to be their last chance power drive before the EU superhighway gets jammed with broken heroes.
    I understand the argument of immigration, though for reasons I explained my attitude to unskilled workers is generally 'fuck them' - being unskilled in a country with high purchasing power just means you're going to have to scrabble for a few shitty service sector jobs, well tough shit for not paying attention at school or trying to get a trade.

I don't really get the religious fanatic argument here - the EU has proved pretty much to have no control whatsoever over what any individual country chooses to do over this matter - and as the crisis escalates I severely doubt it will have the capacity to do so (if as an entity it even survives this), indeed the EU has generally made external migration from outside the EU difficult - and the Syrian refugees seem to be concentrating themselves to the south. I don't think there are that many religious fanatics in Eastern Europe. Well the Poles are a bit crazy about JPII but other than that there are not really all that many religious individuals. Most of the religious fanatics I see in the UK arrived through the commonwealth and former British imperial territories from Pakistan and Bangladesh and I fail to see what EU membership would have done to have changed a policy that was largely driven originally in the 60's by a nostalgic attempt to pretend the British Empire still existed. And by the same token most of the religious fanatics in France are Algerians and Tunisians who moved for much the same reasons about the same time.

Frankly I'm not convinced that a Europe without a EU would be facing any less of a shitstorm with regard to migration given the number of displaced people is only going to rise with increased conflict in the middle east and climatic change. It's one thing turning away relatively small numbers of boat people ala Australia, another when you have epoch-defining movements of people hanging around borders and threatening the political stability of whatever countries they move to (just check the Roman Empire's demise for that). A lot of this seems a sideshow for the real substructure of economic, environmental and demographic (i.e. overpopulation) processes that are going to upend a lot of the order that has built up over the last 70 years and is breaking down traditional state power across the world and which is only going to get worse as more and more unresolved problems pile up.
    Last edited by ferrus; 06-06-2016 at 11:54 PM.
    Die Logik ist keine Lehre, sondern ein Spiegelbild der Welt. Die Logik ist transcendental. - Wittgenstein

Persona Oblongata OrionzRevenge's Avatar
    Type
    INtP
    You guys sound like you'd be just as grateful as we were if we now returned you sage schooling.

ThankYouEverSoMuch!
    Creativity is the residue of time wasted. ~ Albert Einstein

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by djm View Post
    I would rather make my own decisions. Lets be honest, look around you, do you think everyone you see has an equally valid opinion? really? Most people need to be told what to do.
    Zerogov, then?

Type
    INtP
    Sure, if you guys hand over N. Ireland.

Type
    intp
    Quote Originally Posted by djm View Post
    I would rather make my own decisions. Lets be honest, look around you, do you think everyone you see has an equally valid opinion? really? Most people need to be told what to do.
    Yet having a say appears to be working well for the Swiss...

Type
    intp
    Quote Originally Posted by ferrus View Post
    Think about what I was saying for a while and the context of the discussion and when the obvious conditional structure of my statement dawns on you then come back to me.
    I wonder if this is one of the effects of being out of the EU that isn't being discussed much. What are all the Brits living in France, Crete, Spain etc going to do if Britain decides to leave? Apply for work or resident visas? Imagine owning a spanish or a Tuscany villa for your retirement and being turned down for a residents visa...

Might cut down on the football hooligans going abroad though...

Type
    INTJ
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Lurker View Post
    Sure, if you guys hand over N. Ireland.
    Let them have a secession vote and the result will be higher than Scotland, a country who *want* to be colonized by wankers.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by ferrus View Post
    One thing I have noticed is that Spain still makes it relatively easy for Latin Americans to immigrate to Spain on the basis of former imperial connections and heritage in spite of EU migration laws...
    The living proof of that is that I'm Spanish and I never even lived there.
    Everything under heaven is in utter chaos; the situation is excellent. - Mao

Type
    INtP
    Quote Originally Posted by Limey View Post
    Let them have a secession vote and the result will be higher than Scotland, a country who *want* to be colonized by wankers.
    I'm always surprised by how emotional certain relatives of mine become. My mom told me stories when I was a kid that basically portrayed the English as marauding brutes, Mad Maxing it around Ireland, pillaging and raping as they scorched the verdant, lush land...

so, maybe reparations modeled on the sad, sad Native American model.

Oh yeah, for a reality correction, she's mostly English. Melodramatic ISFP.

Anyway, I think I am in favor of the exit, based on my scant knowledge. I never wanted the countries to intermingle so much anyway, I opposed the Euro back in the day...maybe G.B. can afford more independence because it's not landlocked

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Madrigal View Post
    The living proof of that is that I'm Spanish and I never even lived there.
    Oh shit, that might make me Spanish, too!

Too bad, Lady Une. You were far too lenient.
    As a soldier, yes. But as a civilian I lived an austere life.