Thread: Flow Arts

Type
    INTP

Flow Arts

The "flow arts" refer to fire spinning, poi, contact juggling or similar kinds of play / dance with toys. Named for the state of flow induced when practising them. Aside from being mesmerising to watch, they're really fun & surprisingly easy to learn. I picked up a contact staff & contact juggling ball a week ago and can't stop messing about with them.

Anyone done these at all?

A few examples:

Poi

Dragon Staff

Contact Juggling

Type
    INtP
    INTPx Award Winner
    My son does it. He's good enough to get paid for it.

He also does some knife twirling stuff:

Type
    intp
    I have a hoop that I should practice with more, but that seems to be considered borderline by the serious flowists.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Not really the same as what you're talking about but playing theremin can put me in that mental state. Something about the combination of concentration, sound and bodily movement in one act.

Banned
    Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by sandwitch View Post
    I have a hoop that I should practice with more, but that seems to be considered borderline by the serious flowists.
    So hoopsters are consider poseurs by flowists?

You know! For kids!

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by sandwitch View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by msg_v2 View Post
    So hoopsters are consider poseurs by flowists?
    I think it totally counts. Haven't seen any hoop bashing, at least not at any of the fire jams I've been to. They always have hoopers doing cool stuff, and the vibe with these groups tends to be positive & accepting rather than cliquey or elitist. Which is sorta what you'd expect with a bunch of hippies. Maybe it's different elsewhere?

You do get extra points if your hoop is on fire:

Type
    intp
    The Thunder Dome at Burning Man hosts duels between fire spinners, and the announcer mocked any hoopers who weren't attractive women. That's pretty typical Burner behavior, so it may not represent the flow community at all. I'm taking my hoop to a burn next weekend, and hopefully my arm stops acting up so I can bother more experienced people for lessons.

There's a fairly sizable flow community here, but fire is generally restricted as Texas seems to be in a permanent drought. I especially see hoopers all over the place.