Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: High IQ Forum

Type
    INXX
    Quote Originally Posted by Madrigal View Post
    Does anybody here know how to make friends?
    Oh I know this one- Fake like you're listening!
    Stand clear of the closing doors, please.

Persona Oblongata OrionzRevenge's Avatar
    Type
    INtP
    Quote Originally Posted by Je suis très curieux View Post
    It's aliive, again!

Just to give you some background.
    Hi IQ is something of interest to a lot of INTPish types but most of us here are former members of a now defunct forum where there was a great Hi IQ Walled Off Garden Experiment. There were issues that we still joke about.
    Creativity is the residue of time wasted. ~ Albert Einstein

Type
    INTP
    I was thinking of joining just to correct these two:

geniusinsanity said:

The fact that you're not 100% certain is the issue. In a properly constructed pattern problem the pattern should be able to be discerned with complete certainty. This one is poorly constructed because there's no way to be completely sure if you're correct.
    yes.
    There could be more than one answer to a "pattern problem" on an IQ test. The official correct answer depends on what intelligent people tend to choose.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by BarIII View Post
    I was thinking of joining just to correct these two:

There could be more than one answer to a "pattern problem" on an IQ test. The official correct answer depends on what intelligent people tend to choose.
    No. A pattern problem is a constructed problem based on a previously devised rule, illustrated by use of a visual pattern. That intelligent people tend to choose the correct answer isn't the result of a statistical data munge. They aren't taking sequences of images, and taking them to a group of known intelligent people and saying, "Hey, which one of these do you think is the correct answer?" then choosing the mean weighted by the intelligence of the respondent.

That's absurd. Interesting, but absurd.

In developing a pattern problem for a test, there may be some element of using feedback to alter the presented answers so as to gather the most successes from a target intellect, but that's not the same thing. That's about finding ways to show the intended pattern.

It is similar though, so I can understand why you say that.

Holy crap, that's even more interesting, now that I've been inspired to consider it. It's often case we're measuring intellect as a person's ability to extract meaning from progressively shittier communicators. The higher a person's intellect, the better they were able to get faint, fragile, but logical signals from ever more scant and obfuscated evidence or ever more convoluted intervals. But you start pulling patterns scant enough, and suddenly you're not smart, you're a nutjob! Never mind how much you demonstrated an ability to correctly pull the correct solution when we know we gave you fart dust covered with burning paint, if you come up with something we don't want to believe, or that just sounds to different from what we've been lead too believe, we're going to call you crazy and either ignore you or medicate you until you stop saying such things.
    Last edited by Hephaestus; 06-12-2016 at 05:23 AM.
    Most of time, when people ask why something terrible happened, they don't realize they are looking for someone to blame.

--Meditations on Uncertainty Vol ξ(x)

facta non verba interprétation erronée's Avatar
    Type
    INxx
    Quote Originally Posted by OrionzRevenge View Post
    Just to give you some background.
    Hi IQ is something of interest to a lot of INTPish types but most of us here are former members of a now defunct forum where there was a great Hi IQ Walled Off Garden Experiment. There were issues that we still joke about.
    Edit:
    Good ole INTPc. Yeah that makes sense. I barely remember central. I recall thread titles, member names, reading conversations that weren't about gossip, sex, drug use, and foolishness, stuff I'm surrounded by, so that was cool. Didn't the IQ section have blogs and psychometric stuff in it. I remember hermoinie's blog or something there. Feels weird saying that because I don't know anyone here really. But yeah anyway thanks for sharing.
    Last edited by interprétation erronée; 06-12-2016 at 07:33 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Limes View Post
    Jan Bonclay
    “If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing.” ― Malcolm X

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Hephaestus View Post
    No.
    I joined that forum. In that thread I gave the first solution I found and it was different than the others. I think the test creator would have no option other than to make the correct answer the one that the most intelligent people choose or else to omit the question. A "previously devised rule" that unbeknownst to the test creator is not the simplest rule should not be considered the best rule to use. You need the smart people to give you the answer. How often the test creator is set straight like that, IDK.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by BarIII View Post
    I joined that forum. In that thread I gave the first solution I found and it was different than the others. I think the test creator would have no option other than to make the correct answer the one that the most intelligent people choose or else to omit the question. A "previously devised rule" that unbeknownst to the test creator is not the simplest rule should not be considered the best rule to use. You need the smart people to give you the answer. How often the test creator is set straight like that, IDK.
    Oooor, you can change the answers so that the intended answer is the perceived rule--and this is the tricky bit--when you want it to be.
    Most of time, when people ask why something terrible happened, they don't realize they are looking for someone to blame.

--Meditations on Uncertainty Vol ξ(x)

Persona Oblongata OrionzRevenge's Avatar
    Type
    INtP
    Quote Originally Posted by Je suis très curieux View Post
    Good ole INTPc. She's probably wincing somewhere beyond the grave at highiqforum.com's iteration of your Walled Off Garden Experiment gone pretentious private social club.
    Were you a member at the c?
    Creativity is the residue of time wasted. ~ Albert Einstein

Rocket Scientist Snake Champion Grape Jelly's Avatar
    Type
    XNTj
    I used to test consistently at 125, thinking it was too low, so I'd lie and say it was 136 when I was in high school, but now I think a lot of the people I know probably exaggerated also. Looking back,that's pretty decent. Low IQ INTP nontheless. One of those erratic biotches.
    Memelogical qoutient

Type
    iNtP
    Quote Originally Posted by gator View Post
    I had a look at the thread on eugenics and had to back away...

The red flags thread was a bit amusing. One guy apparently didn't notice during his "protracted courtship ritual" with a woman that she was a chain-smoking, alcoholic meth addict.

smart people have no need for such trivial matters! plus their alpha wave-ic attentional brainstate has a sample rate of the perceptual reality of this world 4-80 times less than the average person.
    Just look at the blue sky