Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Game of Thrones: Discussion & Predictions

Persona Oblongata OrionzRevenge's Avatar
    Type
    INtP

Cool Game of Thrones: Discussion & Predictions

Ok, I know this isn't Ptah's cup of Senet House Brew
    *ducks*
    But he asked of such things: Why do you like it?

Simply put, GoT is one of the best series ever. And it's not just a bunch of basement losers that think that.
    Last year GoT snagged the Grammy for Best Drama and that's a feat for Sci Fantasy.

GoT has Character Development out the ass and has an astronomical budget to bring this fantasy world's global epic to life.
    It also uses the fantasy sandbox to ask some very tough questions about society.

Further
    Any one can make you flip you opinion about a favored character. All they have to do is reveal that the character has been long in hatching a betrayal of something or someone you thought they held dear.
    Anyone can write a villain or vile scum into their story.
    But it takes REAL talent and a deep understanding of human nature to make you sympathetic for villains & scum.

GoT is doing this all the fucking time.

NOTE: I thought about just adding this to MacG's thread but I noticed I couldn't find it in A&E because it was in adult subjects. So I wont try to put the squeeze on MacG's Boob Tube.

SPOILER ALERT: This is not the place for you if you need Spoiler Alerts.

The assumption is that you are up to date with the series and open to speculations & predictions derived from the books.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Hound didn't die!
    Readers of the books (I'm not one) may have suspected this, due to an unnamed character that hints were made about, but this was a delightful surprise to me. It's also aggravating because we already have so many dispersed essential characters that we sometimes go several episodes without any updates on their story-line. A perfect example of someone who could seemingly kill without regret who was changed by his 'Guardian' travels with Arya, and now metaphorically reborn. His wounds from youth are branded upon his face and you just gotta hope for a Trial by Combat with Frankenstein's Mountain: The Head Popper. lol

GoT never lets you smile for very long. Because just when you start thinking about a reunion with Arya Stark:

Well fuck!

She let the Waif stab her guts out:

Now I don't think Arya will die. I don't think she was stabbed. I don't think her test was the test.
    I think it was Jaqen H'ghar masked as Arya:

Who has already 'died' once in Arya's stead. But he can't die so, you know, no skin off of his face.

I think this test was for the Waif.*** He told her not to let Arya suffer and gut wounds that don't strike arteries are very slow and painful. The teachings, as offered, are to have no emotions about killing but the Waif has a sadistic streak. There is no way that the Waif is Jagen's true apprentice.

Jagen has told us that the faceless men were originally formed to end the suffering of slaves in the Targaryen's volcanic gold mines.
    He also alludes to TFM being responsible for destroying the Targaryen's volcanic gold mines.

So I think the Waif was all along just a disposable sadistic tool to administer the real test.

Before Arys got past the B&W door she was walking the streets lopping the heads of of pigeons. Which, you know, isn't the sorta habit you wanna see young people picking up. She too was living on the hated and hope of killing all the people on her shit list.

Flashing back a few episode Jagen causes here to realize her mixed emotions about The Hound. That she didn't comply with his plea for a mercy stroke because she wanted him to suffer before the inevitable. But because she cared for him.

She did fail the earlier test when Sadistic Pedo came to town and she gutted him like a pig.

But IMO she past the test with Lady Gray because
    A: LG's performance of Queen Cersei Lannister's grief over her dead son caused Arya to be empathetic towards QCL's loss.
    (Not the fucking only one that's happened to huh? )
    B: The esteem she developed for LG made it impossible for her to follow through on the assassination nor leaver her in jeopardy by not pointing out the understudy as her enemy.

So I think Jagen will settle the promised debt by adding the Waif face to the hall and he'll spring this twist on Arya.

The main reason I think this wasn't Arya getting stabbed is because when last we saw Arya she knew shit was gonna hit the fan for her.
    She retrieved Needle (which from what I gather from chatter about the books represents all the Stark's including Jon Snow's smiling face)
    But then she is strolling around by day, making he travel arrangements, and pausing atop an arching bridge to soak up the view.

We haven't seen everyone's favorite Psycho (Ramsay Bolton) for a few episodes now:

I know we all can't wait for the Battle of the Bastards when the civil war of the north comes to pass and the fate of Winterfell is settled.
    We can hope it will happen this season and that Ramsay will be torn apart by a Dire Wolf. But GoT rarely gives us what we hope for. LOL wouldn't it be a hoot if GRRM and HBO could make Ramsay a sympathetic character???

It was the most hilarious thing in the world when Ramsay first started mind fucking Theon Grayjoy:

After all, he was the one that caused Winterfell to fall to the Boltons. I guess the biggest gimmick writers have for making someone sympathetic is our empathy for someone suffering, without relent, at another's hands.

And how 'bout Theon's sister Yara:

Damn, last week she was acting like a misogynistic Ho-Dog.
    But I think it was all just a performance trying to encourage Theon to Psychologically regenerate a pair.

*** Not that he needed to test her, as she wasn't ever anything but a tool. But he needed to settle accounts and put a face in the hall.

TO BE CONTINUED
    Creativity is the residue of time wasted. ~ Albert Einstein

Type
    INTP
    Disclaimer: I have never read the books and I came into the series during season 5 when I was recovering in a motel room so I don't really know all of what's going on but...

- I agree Arya is not dead. She'll either recover or you're correct and that was Jaqen H'ghar, which would be a good turn of events.
    - Ian McShane's character was interesting and I wish they had not killed him off so soon but you could see it was coming a mile away.
    - more Brienne of Tarth, please. Her storyline kinda disappeared.

Type
    INtP

For seasons now we've had the expectation that Brandon 'Grasshopper' Stark was gonna become super-duper magical and have an essential role in the ultimate showdown with the Night King. But all we have seen for the longest is he and the Bloodraven flopped in a cave sucking on roots and taking acid trips back in time.

Then, Total Mind fuck:

Not only did he go back in time to compel young normal Wylis to 'Hold the Door" in the here & now, but he actually mentally crippled Wylis and set him on a preordained destiny as Hodor.

Brandon as the 3 Eyed Raven can't actually alter THE time-line according to the Bloodraven: "The past is written, the Ink is already dry."
    So you have to wonder other preordained shit is happening. Obviously there has to be a least on more game winner in play.

Queen Daenerys Targaryen went East to go West becoming the Great Emancipator but lost her Mojo getting all GLAMOURS in a pyramid penthouse. So the Harpy boys taught her a lesson sending her back before she could go forward.

And she's bringing all the Dothraki with her.

Now that the Grayjoys are in route things seem like they will gel. but you know GoT.

You gotta expect that Jorah Mormont will find a cure for his mortal dermatitis because we'll have to see the impossible Love expressed in his & Daenerys' eyes a least once more.

Last week we meet his cousin Lyanna Mormont:

A tough little cookie throwing in with Jon in the Battle of the Bastards with all os some 60 odd warriors. I hope they are like 300 Spartans and just plow through Bolton's men.

Her mother was know as the She-Bear and Thormund:

once bragged to Jon Snow that he once fucked a She-Bear. So there is this theory that Tormund could be Lyanna's Father. Which personality wise, kinda fits. Hmmmm????

Before I leave Thormund...

Brienne of Tarth

Who doesn't love this Estrogen Challenged Bad Ass?
    Thormund giving her the flirtatious eye was fucking hilarious.

There is Gosip that GRRM and HBO are planning a spin-off about the adventures of Brienne's Father.

TO BE CONTINUED

Type
    INTP
    Jon's gotta be related to Danaerys...that's my only presumption. I heard that GRRM denied it...but I don't believe him. Too much has been made of who Jon's mother was for it to be anyone else.

This season doesn't seem so intriguing as previous ones, actually. Bran's stuff is fairly boring apart from the Hodor reveal...Denaerys has basically done nothing super impressive...Tyrion hasn't been his hilarious witty self...Arya is being put through the ringer...and if she really surrenders herself to indifference about life/death, then the whole assassinating plot is foiled, so the whole apprentice schtick isn't going to end up with her being a true faceless one, so it is boring. The Sparrows are also stupid...they've just stalled things that would otherwise develop swiftly. Everyone at King's Landing is basically on pause. I hope they reveal the purpose of the saying "There must always be a Stark in Winterfell" somehow during the battle of the Bastards.
    ...the origin of emotional sickness lay in people’s belief that they were their personalities...
    "The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense, not between right and wrong." ~Carl Jung

Type
    INtP
    Quote Originally Posted by Robcore View Post
    Jon's gotta be related to Danaerys...that's my only presumption. I heard that GRRM denied it...but I don't believe him. Too much has been made of who Jon's mother was for it to be anyone else.

This season doesn't seem so intriguing as previous ones, actually. Bran's stuff is fairly boring apart from the Hodor reveal...Denaerys has basically done nothing super impressive...Tyrion hasn't been his hilarious witty self...Arya is being put through the ringer...and if she really surrenders herself to indifference about life/death, then the whole assassinating plot is foiled, so the whole apprentice schtick isn't going to end up with her being a true faceless one, so it is boring. The Sparrows are also stupid...they've just stalled things that would otherwise develop swiftly. Everyone at King's Landing is basically on pause. I hope they reveal the purpose of the saying "There must always be a Stark in Winterfell" somehow during the battle of the Bastards.
    Yeah, one has to imagine that R+L=J is in some way the ultimate meaning of Fire & Ice.

If true that would make Jon Danaerys nephew and a Stark on his mother's side.

When Jon left for the Wall, Eddard promised him that next time they spoke he would tell Jon who his mother was. And Eddard is a man who keeps his promises. Even if it means breaking his wife's heart and protecting Jon by saying he was his bastard.

So you have to wonder how that might occur. I was thinking that if Jon were to develop Brandon's acid trip time travel thing, or the Red Lady's flame Scrying thingy. That maybe he could revisit his infancy while Eddard spoke to him about his mother.

I agree about having Tyrion Lannister withdrawals:

For the longest he was GoT central character. Hopefully Mother of Dragons will soon fly home and the GreyJoys will sail in to town as well.

I disagree however about your take on things at King's Landing.

It was revealed last week that (albeit kinda obvious) that Queen Margaery Tyrel:

Didn't drink the High Sparrow's Kool-aid:

But it seems King Tommen Baratheon did:

The problem is, when you hear the High Sparrow tell, it sounds like some pretty tasty Kool-Aid.

It was fun seeing Olenna Tyrell

Go Bitch to Bitch with Queen Cersei Lannister

But I think the High Sparrow knew that Margaery would be able to convince her grandmother to scoot on back home... Because she is still Loyal to House Tyrel and that's the only way Olenna could be swayed to exit.

The similar ministry that Brother Ray was trying to establish before his death, and The Hound's apparent new found affinity for such, leads one to speculate that he'll start bashing for the Lord and might be The High Sparrow's Champion vs Zombie Mountain for Cersei's fate.

Jaime Lannister

Is apparently getting ready to break his vow not to lift his sword against the Blackfish and House Tully:

but apparently Brienne is in route and who knows how that will play out. They say in the books that Jamie starts to become truly Nobel (Now he just wants to toss a bag of gold at every problem) and redeem the stain of being The King Slayer. Albeit however necessary it was.

TO BE CONTINUED

Type
    INtP
    Now that Pseudo-Walker Uncle Benjen Stark has shown up to save the day,

You have to imagine that they will make there way towards Castle Black. But on theory I've heard is that, having been marked by the Night King in Dreamscape, if Brandon goes near the wall it will breach like the Children's ward at the cave.

Sansa Stark finally getting free of her tormentors and joining in an oath of Fealty with Brienne was one of GoT few allowed Warm Fuzzys.

But you have to wonder if she hasn't become a bit twisted by her ordeal.

Of Note: When she met with Littlefinger to confront him about what of Ramsay's sadistic nature did he know of,

Petyr Baelish seemed fairly convincing that he didn't. But Littlefinger once said that how he planned to get around the powerful to obtain power wasn't to kill them but to fuck them, and if you noticed he met Sansa in the ruins of the Brothel that the Night's Watch used to sneak off to. He's got his deal with Cersei to become Ward of the North and one imagines he plans for Sansa to be at his side at Winterfell. True to form he tempted Sansa with offering the Knights of the Vale to aid in the fight against Ramsay, and she was tempted. later she lied to Jon about getting info via Raven instead from Littlefinger and Brienne asked if she trusted Jon then why did she lie and you could see the pang of guilt. I wouldn't be surprised if Sansa and Brienne come to an impasse because Sansa has sworn never to bring dishonor upon Brienne.

TO BE CONTINUED

DOA Space Invaders Champion Neville's Avatar
    Type
    Taur
    I can't wait for Gendry to save the seven kingdoms. He's gonna be buffer than the Mountain after all those years of rowing.
    “Then there you lie like the one warm spark in the heart of an arctic crystal.”

Type
    INtP
    Quote Originally Posted by Neville View Post
    I can't wait for Gendry to save the seven kingdoms. He's gonna be buffer than the Mountain after all those years of rowing.
    Shhh
    Don't say it. It might cause him to have an existential crisis like @stuck.

Type
    INtP

You Just got to imagine that one of these days it's gonna be Pod's Steel that saves Brienne.

You know that some of the folks will have to die and you have to wonder who that might be. Pod is kinda a Red Shirt. Dying Knightly might be his fate.

I could see Sansa buying it as well.

You just got to imagine that Davos Seaworth the Onion Knight

is going to go ballistic when he learns that Stannis & The Red Woman Melisandre

were complicit in putting Princess Shireen Baratheon to the torch.

I'm thinking The Onion Knight might leave us in tears.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Robcore View Post
    Arya is being put through the ringer...and if she really surrenders herself to indifference about life/death, then the whole assassinating plot is foiled, so the whole apprentice schtick isn't going to end up with her being a true faceless one, so it is boring.
    Glad that's resolved now.
    ...the origin of emotional sickness lay in people’s belief that they were their personalities...
    "The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense, not between right and wrong." ~Carl Jung