Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Productivity Link Collection

-
    Type
    xxxx

Productivity Link Collection

...aka How to trick yourself into getting more serious stuff done, and having fun with it. Feel free to post your favourite sites and apps, I'll add them to this list.

Because I'm going all out with the J today, I'm even sorting this into categories:

1) Productivity tools: Organisers, trackers, timers
    2) Educational resources (or rather: more productive alternatives to watching cat videos on YouTube)
    3) Relaxation tools

Here goes!

1. PRODUCTIVITY TOOLS

Todoist

Intuitive, user-friendly and incredibly flexible to-do list app supporting recurring events and rewarding you with graphs for getting things done. Syncs across virtually all platforms and allows tasks to be shared with other people (could be useful for any team project... not that anyone here will really need that feature, but still). They also have a really neat browser plugin.

Rescue Time

If you want to know where all your computer time is going, this inconspicuous program will track your activity in the background and supply you with a merciless weekly report. It also allows for scheduled website/program blocking, personal goal setting and will give you nice stats on when you are at your most/least productive.

NB. Don't download this if you're not up for a shock on to what extent you're unproductively frittering your life away on the internet.

Habitica

Habitica is a productivity program which turns your day into a series of RPG quests. I have to admit I haven't tried this yet, but it's apparently receiving rave reviews from users.

Beeminder

Particularly brutal app/program that will punish you by taking your real-life money if you don't meet your goals.

Kind of like being self-employed...

Pact

Similar concept for health and fitness goals, employing a carrot-and-a-stick approach: it will pay you if you do meet your goals.

Plato Productivity Timer

Customisable Pomodoro technique timer with a pleasant (!) alarm tone.

2. EDUCATIONAL RESOURCES

Coursera

Free university courses on virtually any subject.

Khan Academy

Similar to Coursera, but with a more modern layout and a greater emphasis on progress tracking.

MIT Videos

Huge library of science videos.

TEDEd

The less dumbed-down sister site of TED talks actually sports a few good (generally short and sweet) videos on a variety of topics.

Codecademy

Can apparently teach you how to code for free online (haven't tried this yet so it would be great if any of the programmers here could give us a heads-up on whether this really works).

Duolingo

Language learning tool particularly helpful for vocabularly revision.

3. RELAXATION TOOLS

Noisli

Mix different sounds to create a productive or calm acoustic environment. Sound quality is decent. Writers may enjoy a combination of, say, rain and coffeehouse background chatter.

A Soft Murmur

Similar to Noisli, with slightly different sounds.

Calm

Calm is a meditation tool that promises to bring more mindfulness and alertness to your life. The website design in itself is already gorgeous.

Zen Habits

If you haven't been living under a rock for the past year, it's likely you'll have heard of Zen Habits. The minimalistic site gives suggestions on how to lead a simpler, calmer life in conveniently bite-sized articles. I like the pictured one about commitments, which recommends writing down all (!) your commitments in life and then eliminating the one that gives you least pleasure in return.

To be continued...
    Last edited by Sappho; 11-25-2016 at 09:46 AM.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Udemy also has educational tools (with access using their app.) Never buy any of their stuff unless it's steeply discounted. I'm still holding off on getting started using it (bought several programs; I can't help but think those making courses about making money, never actually spent much time trying to make money, and only made a video to make money, about making money. . .)

Life Time Alarm clock is also useful

I just replaced my HTC M8 cell phone with an M10 as it was not recognizing the SIM card, and have since spent the last several hours already reinstalling programs I'm needing to use.

Type
    INTP
    "Beeminder" reminds me of an old Stephen King short story.
    --Mention of these things is so taboo, they aren't even allowed a name for the prohibition. It is just not done.

Type
    INTP
    I prefer efficiency to productivity. May be that does not even make sense ...but still i hate the word productivity.

Type
    INFP
    Quote Originally Posted by Hephaestus View Post
    "Beeminder" reminds me of an old Stephen King short story.
    I read this as 'Beerminder.' PATENT PENDING!

Glimpses do ye seem to see of that mortally intolerable truth; that all deep, earnest thinking is but the intrepid effort of the soul to keep the open independence of her sea; while the wildest winds of heaven and earth conspire to cast her on the treacherous, slavish shore?

-
    Type
    xxxx
    Squirt

Squirt is a bookmarklet that helps you speed-read articles online. I was sceptical at first because it sounded too good to be true, but stuff works.

Type
    xxxx
    habitica's changed my life. either that or i've changed my own life. idk but it's good. i should be saving screenshots of all my cute lil outfits.

it's got browser and mobile view which is great.

i'm level 67 right now

edit: i really hate the term "productivity" too though, like it's a goal to strive for (for what purpose? usually, making somebody else wealthy). for me it's just that i get depressed and lose track of time and don't sleep or eat which restarts the cycle again and it really helps to keep track of everything so i don't get swept up by my life like a leaf in a strong wind. at any given time i've got about 100 things on my mind, and it's not my choice.
    Last edited by jigglypuff; 07-06-2016 at 09:44 AM.

-
    Type
    xxxx
    Updated.

Type
    INTP
    Self Control : Get some.

Type
    xxxx
    lynda & skillshare

i've used both for learning design stuff. can't trick yourself though. you need discipline. lots of the instructors are design pros.

skillshare is a lil more fluffy sometimes, but fun.
    Last edited by jigglypuff; 11-25-2016 at 05:15 PM.