Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Productivity Link Collection

Type
    Intp
    https://trello.com

Allows you to create flexible to do lists, move tasks between lists etc. I usually create 3 lists, to do, doing and done. It's really great for keeping track of things you have to do.

Type
    INTP
    I've pretty much organized my entire life with Asana. I can put all my to do lists in there, personal and work, assign tasks to other people, coordinate projects, assign priorities and reminders, and it syncs across all my devices.

Type
    INTP
    I have found Todoist to be quite useful for tracking all kinds of things I'd like to do regularly as well as appointments and homework deadlines. I think it's the only to-do list method that I've been able to use successfully over a longish period, and now that I do I get a lot more done.

Type
    intp
    I've been making logs / etc with Google Sheets. It has been assisting productivity.

One tab for some weekly goals. This has helped make progress more focused. I can plot a general course through to some end-goal rather than just vaguely being 'productive'.

One tab is a large listing of chapters of text books I'm working through. I tend to forget where I'm up to otherwise.

A general log of new things I learn. I'm slowly trying to get into web development, and I had a moment of simultaneously thinking I'd made no progress, while also remembering that a few weeks ago I was not aware of several significant bits of knowledge. Seems slightly interesting that our knowledge acquisition happens at a gradual pace, that we have little conscious recognition of the new knowledge we have gained compared to before, and we just take for granted that we 'know' certain things. So I'm a little bit interested in whether it would be interesting to record when I learn significant new things, and being able to later, more reliably, reflect on my earlier ignorance.

All these things might just be mental games that are temporarily working and will later give me nothing.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Sappho View Post

Beeminder

Particularly brutal app/program that will punish you by taking your real-life money if you don't meet your goals.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hephaestus View Post
    "Beeminder" reminds me of an old Stephen King short story.
    I have elsewhere described gamification as the victory of our rational selves over our irrational, short sighted, weaker nature. Using Beeminder is something quite different: it lets the company challenge our weak side to a grossly unfair duel. In my opinion, it is an absolutely dreadful idea to deliberately open a channel for Beeminder to exploit us financially where we are at our feeblest. These entrepreneurs know what they are doing, like gym operators who sell us one-year memberships in the full knowledge that most people will only use the facilities for two months at best.
    Last edited by repo_man; 10-13-2017 at 02:35 PM.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Ptah View Post
    Self Control : Get some.
    There is some evidence that self control can be improved by daily exercises.
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2855143/

Peterson and Seligman suggest using "cognitive strategies and behavioral intentions" to reach the same goal. I think productivity tools listed in this thread can help in that.
    https://books.google.fi/books?id=QqP...ies%22&f=false

Type
    INTP
    I have found that Google keep has a lot of the functionality of something like todoist, but it's free.

Type
    INTP
    There is one "hack" that I think actually works and I've used it successfully for years. That is, I eat a meal before going to the grocery store. I'm less hungry and I make better choices. Once I'm home, I'm forced to eat only healthy food.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by zago View Post
    There is one "hack" that I think actually works and I've used it successfully for years. That is, I eat a meal before going to the grocery store. I'm less hungry and I make better choices. Once I'm home, I'm forced to eat only healthy food.
    Yes. This. If I hit the grocery store on the way home from hitting the gym really hard, it turns into the most idiotic grocery trip ever. If I discover I'm hungry upon arriving at the store, I'll hit the deli and risk making one irresponsible meal choice before I let myself push my cart down the aisles with dinner plates for eyes while I'm making what amounts to all my meal choices over the next week or so.

I have excellent self control in most everything except food. I'm perfectly fine if I'm not at home, but when I own the food and it's in my house, it becomes my obsession, so even if I do manage to not eat it, it becomes a constant thing...

It's like a bug in my ear saying, "Sista, remember those chips? Yeah, you know, the really good ones...yeah, they are in there, and it's been...like an hour since you last ate way too many of them...what's one more bite?"
    Insults are effective only where emotion is present. -- Spock, "Who Mourns for Adonais?" Stardate 3468.1.

I'm not avoiding socializing I'm helping socializing avoid me! --MoneyJungle

Type
    intp
    Quote Originally Posted by Sistamatic View Post
    "Sista, remember those chips? Yeah, you know, the really good ones...yeah