Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mashy's Sketchbook

Type
    xxxx
    INTPx Award Winner

Mashy's Sketchbook

I am currently deeply unsatisfied with all of my artistic creations so decided to study anatomy & art for the rest of my multiple lives. I will track my progress on instagram / here.

Goals:
    • learn proportions of face and body
    • learn to layer with oil painting, try glazing
    • face character studies
    • hand studies with contour shading
    • try grisaille painting with glazing layers
    • plein air painting
    • master gesture drawing and live drawing
    • try renaissance sight-size method with live model
    • once skills are better, work on conceptual projects "Sub rosa" "Sleeping City" "The Manifesto" "The Twelve Disciples"

Current problem areas:
    • linework - mine reveals uncertainty, nervousness, and lack of confidence in own work
    • value modelling - confused and infantile
    • oil paintings have no depth - work in layers rather alla prima

Masters / sources of inspiration
    • Michael Mentler (figurative arts, general genius, "The Doctor of Bones")
    • Rebecca Alzofonz (gesture sketching)
    • Charles Bargue ("The Bargue Method" of cast sketching)
    • Charles Cecil (sight-size oil painting)
    • Andrew Loomis (drawing face & hands)

Current progression:
    http://imgur.com/a/MUVsl
    http://imgur.com/a/9Hdst
    I fucking hate the cold! - Wim Hof

Check out my art. https://www.instagram.com/karililt/

Cooler than Jesus
    Type
    intp
    I'm offended by the nudity depicted in your artwork. There are children here you know.

Type
    xNxx
    do you have a lesson plan put together?

Type
    INXX
    Yeah your art is terrible- so much so that I'm intimidated by it.

Quote Originally Posted by kali View Post
    Current problem areas:
    • linework - mine reveals uncertainty, nervousness, and lack of confidence in own work
    • value modelling - confused and infantile
    • oil paintings have no depth - work in layers rather alla prima
    I think your line work reveals tenacity and your value modeling looks fine. You decide how much detail you want to include and it's your perspective that makes it your art.

We have only seen a few of your paintings but I'm confident you can overcome the third thing.

Naturally my opinion only counts so much as my skill level isn't a quarter of yours but I do understand the mechanics of drawing and painting.
    Stand clear of the closing doors, please.

Persona Oblongata OrionzRevenge's Avatar
    Type
    INtP
    [QUOTE=kali;163225]
    Masters / sources of inspiration

.../QUOTE]

Ya Don't say?
    Creativity is the residue of time wasted. ~ Albert Einstein

Type
    xxxx
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Lud View Post
    I'm offended by the nudity depicted in your artwork. There are children here you know.
    My deepest apologies.

Quote Originally Posted by stuck View Post
    do you have a lesson plan put together?
    I've just been following all the tutorials I can find, with no particular lesson structure in mind. I would like to be more structured though, but the spontaneity and novelty of my studies is fuelling me quite nicely now.

Today, I will this lesson in Shading by Rebecca Alzofon
    http://www.art.net/~rebecca/ShadeDefinitions.html

As well as a few pages from George Bridgman & Michael Mentler.

Quote Originally Posted by LordLatch View Post
    Yeah your art is terrible- so much so that I'm intimidated by it.

I think your line work reveals tenacity and your value modeling looks fine. You decide how much detail you want to include and it's your perspective that makes it your art.

We have only seen a few of your paintings but I'm confident you can overcome the third thing.

Naturally my opinion only counts so much as my skill level isn't a quarter of yours but I do understand the mechanics of drawing and painting.
    I appreciate your reassurance though trust me it wasn't my intention to be reassured! To me the best place to live is on the cusp of quality and individuality and as an artist I get to decide when I've reached that peak. Egon Schiele comes to mind. My goal is to exhibit in galleries and I think that can be achieved in 3-10 years, disregarding user-submitted galleries. The way my life trajectory is shaping out, I don't want to attend art school but I believe the internet offers enough resources - all depends on my motivation as an autodidact. In terms of quality I am in awe over Stephen Bauman (his art warrants some googling, just do it).

Quote Originally Posted by OrionzRevenge View Post

Ya Don't say?
    ?
    I fucking hate the cold! - Wim Hof

Check out my art. https://www.instagram.com/karililt/

Persona Oblongata OrionzRevenge's Avatar
    Type
    INtP

?
    With regard to the anatomical constructions, it just seems obvious to me.
    I'm looking forward to following this thread.
    Creativity is the residue of time wasted. ~ Albert Einstein

Type
    INTP
    I found that learning to build shaders and textures and lighting rigs in 3D animation software was the best way to learn lighting/lighting effects for translation into painting...that and perspective drawing. I did that well over a decade ago though...it's probably a lot more user friendly in current software...which might prove less educational.

Perspective drawing, especially advanced perspective drawing, is also a critical piece when it comes to anatomical drawing, I think...especially when you're straying away from reference material. Forms and planes...perspective applies always.

This tutorial was always a favourite, too...though the art is somewhat cartoony, it conveys the lessons brilliantly: http://androidarts.com/art_tut.htm

I've been away from my paints for a few years now...latest thing I've been wanting to try is a CMYK based palette as I always did more of an RGB, and I struggled with dull colours...but I've seen stunning stuff by people going with a CMYK based palette.

Anyhow, I hope to see lots of images. I shall live vicariously through this thread if it remains active...I miss drawing regularly.
    ...the origin of emotional sickness lay in people’s belief that they were their personalities...
    "The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense, not between right and wrong." ~Carl Jung

Retired
    Type
    XXXX
    Brilliant thread idea.

I'm seeing some curious parallels to musical composition here.

Subscribed.

Type
    INXX
    I appreciate your reassurance though trust me it wasn't my intention to be reassured!
    I know it wasn't. No artist is happy with their work. I was just voicing my appreciation for seeing your stuff. I don't know if I had before.

However, if you need something more constructive...

You suck! Oh how I long for the day to see something inspired and competently executed!

line- Your sketch lines are too short- wide archs have the more pleasing appearance- Draw from the elbow- you don't live in a box.

light/value- Squint! try turning on a light sometime. Where are your direct and specular highlights? Where are your light sources and what type?

Depth- Think composition. Group your elements- plan! Use atmospheric perspective. Lower contrast and use more sky color near the horizon.
    http://www.finearttips.com/2014/09/6...cape-painting/

Oh yeah,

You suck! Now get busy.

Your fan,
    LordLatch
    Stand clear of the closing doors, please.