Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: May I Curse In Your Dialect?

Type
    INTP

May I Curse In Your Dialect?

I'm from the Midwest where our profanity is mostly long silences and heavy sighing. Since I've been reading a bit about the Brexit today, I realized that there are some great British curses, but I'd probably sound pretty stupid trying to use them. What are your thoughts on other cultures appropriate your profanity for everyday use?

Type
    INtP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Works View Post
    I'm from the Midwest where our profanity is mostly long silences and heavy sighing. Since I've been reading a bit about the Brexit today, I realized that there are some great British curses, but I'd probably sound pretty stupid trying to use them. What are your thoughts on other cultures appropriate your profanity for everyday use?
    I can't speak for the UK beyond "bloody bugger," but I can tell you that "bless your heart" means (roughly) "you poor stupid simpleton" in general southeastern dialect(s).

Type
    intp
    I'm from Northern California, and all I can think of is "hella." If anyone not from Northern California said that, I'd think they're either an idiot or making fun of me.
    "Doesn't matter what a man has if he doesn't have purpose. You take that away from him, man usually goes with it." -Beau

-
    Type
    xxxx
    Viennese for Americans - A Phrase Book

(...) Now, armed with this book, the American can learn the phrases that will enable him to move with the times, to keep up with the Mayers and the Hubers. Sure, there have been other phrase books, but never before has a phrasebook contained so many typically American phrases. Instead of the usual "how do you get to" phrases (although we've thrown some of those in for good measure), this book includes more typical American words and phrases, like "Where is the nearest gun shop" and "You can't talk to me like that! I'm an American, dammit!"

The lists of phrases are divided into categories. The phrases are presented in three forms. The first form contains the American phrase. The second form contains the Weanerisch phrase. The third form contains the Weanerisch phrase the way an American would pronounce it. Note that the hyphens in the third column are meant merely to help the American newcomer to the world language recognize the different parts of word and help with the prununciation; they are not meant to indicate pauses or other breaks in the speech patterns. (...)

Them's Fighting Words!
    Di Kaumpfaunsoge
    Kompf-awn-so-guh

Take it back!
    Nimm des zruck, Oida!
    Nimm dess zrook, oy-duh!

Oh yeah?
    Na wiaklich?
    Na veeeeeeea-kleek?

Where'd you learn how to drive?
    Wo host denn Du in Fueraschein kriagt? In da Lottarie gwunga und a ochtl Los dawischt?
    Vo hossed den dew een fwa-a-shine greeked? Een duh Low-ter-ree guh-voong oond ah oak-tull Lowss dah-veeshed?

Hey, buzz off!
    Kumm, ziag oh!
    Koom, tsyig oh!

Drop dead!
    Grotz oo!
    Grow-ts oh!

Get lost!
    Schau dass'd vaschwindst bevoa wos passiat!
    Sh-how dossed fuh-shvindst be-foe-a voss posse-at.

Take a long walk on a short pier!
    Gib da di Kugl, Oida!
    Geeb da dee koogl, oy-duh!

Will you get that brat away from me?
    Hoits ma di Zauk vom Leib!
    Hoits ma dee Tsowk phome libe!

Shut the %#$#* up!
    Hoid da Goschn!
    Hoyd duh go-shun!

You can't talk to me like that! I'm an American, dammit!
    Mit MIA kaunst so net redn. Vadaumt nuamoi, I bin a Ami!
    Mitt meea consd so net ray-din. Fa-dommt new-uh-moy, ee bean a Ommy!

No thank you. I prefer to ski in the U.S.
    Na daunkschee. I dua liaba bei di Ami schifoan!
    Nah, donkey-shay. Ee doo-uh leeba by dee Ommi shee-fwon!

Is that your wife/husband, or did you find it buried in a shallow grave?
    Woos, de Voglscheichn is dei Oide/Oida?
    Vo-ss, dee Fogul-shike-en ees dye oyde/oyduh?

Don't have a cow, man!
    Reg' di oh, klana!
    Rayg dee oh, clonna!

Don't you be dis'n me, man!
    Moch ma kane trabls Zniachtal!
    Moke ma conna trobbels tsneek-tall

Look, Marge! That's the hospital my grandfather bombed!
    Schau Oide! Des is des Schpitoi des wos mei Grossvota z'bombt hot!
    Sh-how oydy! Dess is dess shpit-toy dess voss my gross-fotta tsuh-bompt hot!

Type
    xNxx
    U UP
    SMASH DAT FUCCIN LIKE BUTTON

Persona Oblongata OrionzRevenge's Avatar
    Type
    INtP
    Save that shit for Jerry Springier
    Creativity is the residue of time wasted. ~ Albert Einstein

-
    Type
    xxxx
    Quote Originally Posted by OrionzRevenge View Post
    Save that shit for Jerry Springier
    Is that Jerry Springer's Francophone cousin?

Persona Oblongata OrionzRevenge's Avatar
    Type
    INtP
    Quote Originally Posted by Sappho View Post
    Is that Jerry Springer's Francophone cousin?
    Yes, they are into Greco-Roman Wrestling.
    Creativity is the residue of time wasted. ~ Albert Einstein

-
    Type
    xxxx
    Quote Originally Posted by OrionzRevenge View Post
    Yes, they are into Greco-Roman Wrestling.
    Bollocks!*

*Actual contribution to this thread.

Now we know... Asteroids Champion ACow's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Australian dialect is believed to consist of 5% to 50% swears, offense, and questionable comparisons and allusions, depending if the formality of the occasion.

Coupled with the ability to throw in deadpan, satire, sarcasm, opposites, rhyming slang, and subtle social cues that affect the negation, affectation and double negation of such effect, and I still find myself unsure about what we're saying half the time, though that may be because I'm/we're drunk, and so that would make sense.

See for instance "seppo". This is an Australian term that is an abbreviation of Septic Tank, which is not a reference to an actual septic tank, but is rhyming slang for Yank, which is to say, an American. Is this an offensive term or one of affection, like "cunt" means "mate/legend" except when referring to actual cunts, which is likely to be the case I'd spoken by a female about another female. To this, I can only offer "is the beer glass coming at you frothy end or broken and jagged end first?" as a general guide.

Fuck, and all derivative forms, is like the blank letter in scrabble, except in word form, with the added benefit of being a qualifier and a conjunction and a general reflex like a cough.

We share with the British polite phrases that might be misunderstood by our north American counterparts. "With all due respect", as was noted by the economist, translates roughly into "you have no fucking idea what you're talking about, or apparently anything else".

There are a series of Australian allusions and names to refer to cunts (both kinds) who do things: derro, piker, drongo, dickhead, wanker, bogan. These are useful when taking the piss with mates or enemies, but taking the piss is not to be confused with going out on the piss, a piece of piss (not to be contrasted with a piece of shit, which is to say, a cunt of the second kind), pissing away, pisser, pisshead, or literally taking a piss.

There's no shortage of derogatory slang and phrases: a woman can be a "prawn", akin to the American butterface, or more colloquially, can have a face like a slapped arse. People from new south Wales are cockroaches. People from Victoria are Mexicans. People from Queensland are best not talked about (but might be cane toads if you must).

Tasmania is interesting, both because of rampant inbreeding, but also because you can refer to a girls pubes as their "map of Tasmania".

That's Pube as in pubic hair, not as in the derogatory term for public servant, which is used by public servants. Pubes can't generally organise a root in a brothel.

As a foreigner, it's probably best to not try to do Australian. You run the very real risk of being taken for a wanker, as in an actual wanker, or worse, actively taking the piss. You have to pick up on the Australian subtleties of when it's OK to use each jibe. I suggest you don't cry about it like a whinging bloody pom and just go along for the ride.

Now I've got to get up. My mouths dryer than a nuns crotch...

PS: no one ever says fair shake off the sauce bottle.

Pps: we might say nigger, but that's generally only amongst friends and deliberately making fun of American culture and racial sensitivities...