View Poll Results: How many of you wear a watch every day?

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • 0%-25%

18 69.23%
  • 26%-50%

2 7.69%
  • 51%-75%

4 15.38%
  • 76%-100%

9 34.62%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: How many of you wear a watch daily?

Type
    INxP
    I wear this one most days:

It was a 21st birthday present (10 years ago). I'm gonna enjoy seeing how long it'll last. It's kinetic but I don't think I've ever seen it stop from lack of movement. It's pretty heavy but I like the feel of it. Also it spins really well on smooth surfaces if you put it face down.

true story

What don't you understand about this poll?

A) Trombone
    B) Economics
    C) All of the above

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by pathogenetic_peripatetic View Post
    The Citizen Eco-Drive
    I bid on one a couple of days ago but lost. People say good things about it. I like the look of the face. It's not too dark and the hands and number markers aren't too dainty. I'd prefer regular numbers and a brushed matte case and a leather band.

Type
    INFP
    Yes. Nothing fancy. Time. Date. Day of the week. It boggles my mind when people reach into their pocket whenever they need to check the time. I went to Hawaii last year and left my watch on the dresser in a symbolic gesture of vacation and wound up with a horrendous inch wide sunburn which I checked at least four times an hour while looking for the time. I'm also one of these uptight jerks who think people should be on time to things.
    Even if I knew that tomorrow
    the world would go to pieces,
    I would still plant my apple tree

Type
    INTJ
    INTPx Award Winner
    I have four watches and I hardly ever wear one. Three of them need a new battery.

They're all analogue (last digital was probably age 10). I have a Kenneth Cole with a grey face and triangles for numerals, a cheap Timex which I think I bought from Woot with a nice white face, date, and nice clear font, leather strap. I have a Tissot 1853, same as this one:

Finally, I have a Stuhrling that I bought online because it was purdy. It's skeleton and it winds itself up. I opened the box, took one look at it and closed the box again, never wore it. It's just too big, looks like a joke. If it were smaller I would have worn it, but I guess then it could have been mistaken for a ladies watch. Men wearing oversize watches look ridiculous to me.
    I think the Stuhrling looks a bit like this one, but with copper and blue colors:

I've never really been into flashy watches. Right now I'll use the Tissot for dress/formal but probably would favor the cheap Timex for functionality, though I generally just use my phone. Time never needs updating between timezones.
    I had a Lucien picard watch a while back which was nice. It fell off my wrist while on the street in Atlanta and I picked it up. Subsequently fell off again somewhere and was lost forever. Crappy wrist strap.
    "Jesus was not a poof and neither was he married."
    -Guess who

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    I'm obsessed with gyrotourbillons, but I seriously doubt one will ever be in my price range. I'm hoping to see one in a store or something next time I'm in Chicago. It seems like the sort of place where one would be on sale.

The reverso is my favorite. It's only about $250,000 dollars:

Insults are effective only where emotion is present. -- Spock, "Who Mourns for Adonais?" Stardate 3468.1.

I'm not avoiding socializing I'm helping socializing avoid me! --MoneyJungle

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Sistamatic View Post
    I'm obsessed with gyrotourbillons, but I seriously doubt one will ever be in my price range. I'm hoping to see one in a store or something next time I'm in Chicago. It seems like the sort of place where one would be on sale.
    Clockwork movements are the best reason to have a watch.

Great. Now I want a pocketwatch that looks like a cell-phone, but has a clear front and visible movement.

I also want it to be a winder.

Think of all the Steampunkers who would be utterly crushed when you whipped that out to check the time at a nerd-con. Oh, and obviously in addition to an analog watch face, I'd want a triggerable display made from "small" nixie tubes.

Granted, the Woz beat me to a watch using nixie tubes, but his is a little clunky.

Maybe I could stuff innards into an Otter Box?
    --Mention of these things is so taboo, they aren't even allowed a name for the prohibition. It is just not done.

Type
    INTP
    I'm old, so I got into the habit of wearing a watch back in the day so I could know the time. But only during the 9 to 5 shift (work or school before that). No need on weekends/evenings. My INTP "so I can find it spot" was always on top of the fridge. My morning routine included a glass of juice so fetching that would trigger me to put it on.

My watches were:

1) Analog
    2) Leather strap (metal is uncomfortable IMO)
    3) Date display (again showing my age - I sometimes needed to know the date)
    4) Slim profile (I find it tends to catch/bang on things, so fat watches were extra problematic).
    5) Generally low budget - they were functional not fashion statements

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Hephaestus View Post
    Clockwork movements are the best reason to have a watch.

Great. Now I want a pocketwatch that looks like a cell-phone, but has a clear front and visible movement.

I also want it to be a winder.

Think of all the Steampunkers who would be utterly crushed when you whipped that out to check the time at a nerd-con. Oh, and obviously in addition to an analog watch face, I'd want a triggerable display made from "small" nixie tubes.

Granted, the Woz beat me to a watch using nixie tubes, but his is a little clunky.

Maybe I could stuff innards into an Otter Box?
    Google "minute repeaters" ... plan for at least an hour of watching videos of the great ones. They start at around 60 grand.
    Insults are effective only where emotion is present. -- Spock, "Who Mourns for Adonais?" Stardate 3468.1.

I'm not avoiding socializing I'm helping socializing avoid me! --MoneyJungle

a fool on a journey pensive_pilgrim's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Sistamatic View Post
    I cannot look at my wrist to see how many hours I've been asleep when I get up to pee.
    Did you wear it while sleeping? If so, when did you charge it? I'm assuming it needs to be charged, if not daily, at least once a week.