Thread: This computer owned by an idiot

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner

This computer owned by an idiot

I'm screwed. My browsers have all been hijacked by weird sites and I'm getting pop-ups every ten seconds. I ran Avast and I actually saw it analyzing things like qksee and uncheckit right in my face without detecting a threat. I have tried to remove these in all the ways reccomended online except through more downloads because I don't believe anyone anymore. Uninstalled and reinstalled all browsers and tried to uninstall programs that refuse to be uninstalled.

I just wanna go buy something at a physical store and install it on my computer and have it clean up the mess. Is there a reccomendable product?
    Everything under heaven is in utter chaos; the situation is excellent. - Mao

Type
    INtP
    INTPx Award Winner
    No no no!

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/down...leaner/dl/125/

get that

If that doesn't fix it let me know
    This just in: I'm accepting all friend requests too unless you're a fricken jerk and I can't stand your existence and inane drivel. If that's the case, then I'll accept your friend request so I can keep an eye on your ass unless you don't hold any interest for me; then only the threat of keeping my eye on you stands. feces

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by LordLatch View Post
    No no no!

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/down...leaner/dl/125/

get that

If that doesn't fix it let me know
    Getting free stuff is how I got into this mess. I might try it but I wanna know about other options. I just don't want to buy a useless product.

Type
    INtP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Madrigal View Post
    Getting free stuff is how I got into this mess. I might try it but I wanna know about other options. I just don't want to buy a useless product.
    I'm a computer repair technician and that free program makes me a lot of money. It is impossible that a store bought antivirus product can outperform it.

I fix computers that have all the famous antivirus programs installed all the time.
    This just in: I'm accepting all friend requests too unless you're a fricken jerk and I can't stand your existence and inane drivel. If that's the case, then I'll accept your friend request so I can keep an eye on your ass unless you don't hold any interest for me; then only the threat of keeping my eye on you stands. feces

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    I use AVG, which got me through 2 years of Honduran internet pretty well. (I ended up with some crap on my system when I just couldn't live without watching US sporting events and ended up using a sketchy site to stream NBA games, but AVG wiped out most of it. Somehow there's way more malware just kind of floating around on the internet in Honduras than there is the US, though--I was catching all sorts of shit with scans on a regular basis even when I wasn't using sketchy sites.)

You can find specialized uninstaller software for programs that don't want to uninstall themselves. (I use one called IObit.)

Honestly, you do need to be careful about free downloads, but I've never been steered wrong on a variety of system issues by going with free-download products recommended by nerds on internet forums. Whenever I have to Google a tech-support issue these days, the results I go to first are the ones on message boards.

You should probably listen to Latch. He seems like a nerd on an internet forum.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ptah View Post
    No history, no exposition, no anecdote or argument changes the invariant: we are all human beings, and some humans are idiots.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Bleepingcomputer.com is trustworthy. Post to their forum and ask them what to do. I recently researched this. Check out what some government webpages say about it:

https://www.google.com/search?q=blee...er+site%3a.gov

And it's mentioned in these articles:

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/busi...ok-8327757.php

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-36575687

-
    Type
    xxxx
    Download Malwarebytes and SuperAntispyware from their original sites. Install and update both their databases (there's buttons for this).

Restart your computer in Safe Mode (this is imperative as it effectively prevents all the junk programs on your computer from starting, facilitating their removal). Run SuperAntispyware and when it's done, Malwarebytes. The latter in particular is super-intuitive and will fix even the worst mess with a click of a button.

Edit: Here are the links, in case your search window keeps re-directing you:

SUPERAntiSpyware

Malwarebytes
    Last edited by Sappho; 07-06-2016 at 07:02 AM.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by LordLatch View Post
    I'm a computer repair technician and that free program makes me a lot of money. It is impossible that a store bought antivirus product can outperform it.

I fix computers that have all the famous antivirus programs installed all the time.
    It's all gone.

I owe you, for sure. Thanks!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sappho View Post
    Download Malwarebytes and SuperAntispyware from their original sites. Install and update both their databases (there's buttons for this).

Restart your computer in Safe Mode (this is imperative as it effectively prevents all the junk programs on your computer from starting, facilitating their removal). Run SuperAntispyware and when it's done, Malwarebytes. The latter in particular is super-intuitive and will fix even the worst mess with a click of a button.

Edit: Here are the links, in case your search window keeps re-directing you:

SUPERAntiSpyware

Malwarebytes
    Thanks! I have not downloaded these yet since the first site has cleaned the computer. But I'll keep that in mind if I notice any other weird stuff soon.