Page 355 of 356 FirstFirst ... 255305345353354355356 LastLast
Results 3,541 to 3,550 of 3555

Thread: Unpopular Opinions

Type
    INTP
    I miss bezels.
    Insults are effective only where emotion is present. -- Spock, "Who Mourns for Adonais?" Stardate 3468.1.

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. -- Aristotle

This SEP field is glorious!

Cooler than Jesus
    Type
    intp
    Quote Originally Posted by Sistamatic View Post
    I miss bezels.
    We achieved peak-smartphone years ago, it's all just been unnecessary yearly "upgrades" since then in order to keep earning profits. And it will be until we can replace phones entirely with augmented reality, if such a thing ever comes.

I guess it is possible that we'll get to the point where phones could stand in for workstations, e.g. hook a phone up to a monitor and it works as well as a laptop. But that's less of an advance of smartphones than of laptops.

Type
    INTP
    I miss phones that were the size of phones, not phablets. I'm still using my xz1 compact and it saddens me that nobody is making anything close to this anymore. 4.7 display @1280x720 is perfect for a phone. It allows for fantastic battery life and easy pocket carry. It lets me reach all parts of the screen comfortably with my thumb without constantly adjusting the way I'm holding it. And it has the same internals as the larger version because wanting a smaller phone doesn't mean I want laggy apps or a crappier camera. I just want better battery life, comfortable one-handed use and to be able to slip it into my pocket without feeling like I'm inserting an armor plate into my body armor pants.

And don't tell me to buy a fucking iphone (oh god, am I gonna have to buy a fucking iphone?)

Type
    INTP
    Ha, I just found a bunch of people freaking the fuck out in some comments on a review of the surface book 3 because it has a bezel and apparently anything expecting to perform as a tablet with a bezel in 2020 is a hanging offense. Hahaha. People are planning to never touch anything Microsoft has anything to do with again over this. Um, good luck with that.
    Insults are effective only where emotion is present. -- Spock, "Who Mourns for Adonais?" Stardate 3468.1.

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. -- Aristotle

This SEP field is glorious!

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by pensive_pilgrim View Post
    The difference is that back then (1800s) they were very open and explicit about their bias - like declaring which political party they were associated with. Even in the age of "yellow journalism", the newspapers involved were open about their affiliation with the democratic party.

Nowadays you have journalists trying to present themselves as "the guardians of truth", and they will adamantly deny that they are biased one way or another. Can you imagine the New York Times labeling itself "the leading Democrat newspaper in NYC"? No, they want you to believe that they are objective fact-tellers and that right-leaning sources are lying to you.
    And Fox News called itself "fair and balanced", not a propaganda organ of the Republican Party. Yes, there is a fair bit of bias denial about.
    Your gardening sucks and your avocados ain't fruitin'. -- Sappho the Maestro

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by C.J.Woolf View Post
    And Fox News called itself "fair and balanced", not a propaganda organ of the Republican Party. Yes, there is a fair bit of bias denial about.
    Fox News is clearly pro-Trump but, to its credit, it has guests and presenters with a variety of perspectives and actually gives them a chance to speak.

The aggressive tone it had a few years ago is gone, which makes it a lot easier to watch.
    Back yourself.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by pensive_pilgrim View Post
    And don't tell me to buy a fucking iphone (oh god, am I gonna have to buy a fucking iphone?)
    After I swearing off iphones, I relented this year when the relatively small SE came out at a non-eyewatering price. I think I went up $50 from the base model to make sure I never run out of memory again. So far no complaints, but I don't expect too much from a phone other than the standard stuff. The risk of course, is Apple will update the OS until this thing sucks balls -- but it has the latest hardware now so fingers crossed.

But it's still a risk.

Type
    INTP
    I have an iPhone 7 that I'm perfectly satisfied with. It suits my needs and does so reliably.

Ditto for my apple watch. I had a fitbit for a while but the thing was unreliable as hell. Now I've got whatever the most outdated apple watch is that I could still buy new and it works perfectly.

Type
    intp
    Quote Originally Posted by Guess Who View Post
    which makes it a lot easier to watch.

You watch it? That explains a lot.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by jyng1 View Post
    You watch it? That explains a lot.
    I do watch it. I also watch Sky News Australia, NHK, Australian ABC, CNN and RT for news.

What do you watch?

The ideology of Fox News could have been described as conservative in the past but I think it has shifted to be mostly aspirational politics. I'd describe aspirational politics as strengthening families by creating economic opportunities for all. It is the antithesis of identity politics. John Howard, Scott Morrison, Boris Johnson and Donald Trump are all proponents of it.

Aspirational politics is becoming more popular. Any chance you will get on board with it?
    Back yourself.