Page 283 of 283 FirstFirst ... 183233273281282283
Results 2,821 to 2,825 of 2825

Thread: Unpopular Opinions

Type
    INtP
    Quote Originally Posted by P-O View Post
    It's basically an idea from the bible:
    I do agree, people should keep their religion to themselves! Unfortunately in a democracy, politics is impossible to be a private enterprise.

I read an article from the man who said he coined the term.

I disagree with the premise that stating a political position is just a way to jockey to look good to others. Maybe I need to live where other people live. If I said the stuff they did around here in order to "look good to others," it would not be well-received.
    I disagree with the premise that other people's motivation are knowable to spectators.
    I disagree with the premise that espousing a political opinion on twitter and taking action are mutually exclusive.

I think it's a partisan political propaganda term used to squash opponent's views when there are no factual reasons to counter against it.

Type
    INtP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by BarIII View Post
    I just don't think it's healthy to inhale the chemicals all day long.
    If you get a job, you won't have to.
    Stand clear of the closing doors, please.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by LordLatch View Post
    If you get a job, you won't have to.
    Ironically, one reason I don't want to work in Manhattan or downtown Brooklyn is the pollution. I have to work on that weather stripping. The air freshener will actually let me test it better.

OK, I squeezed a piece of paper in the door with the weather stripping and it pulled out like it wasn't even touching anything. When I taped a piece of corrugated cardboard on the weather stripping, the paper was hard to pull out, so I'll double up on the weather stripping on that side. For the top of the door I'm going to look for something only 1/8" thick because that's almost sealed.
    Last edited by BarIII; 01-15-2018 at 03:42 AM.
    I will accept no further friend requests. This doesn't mean I don't love you or anything so don't be offended.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by oxyjen View Post
    I do agree, people should keep their religion to themselves! Unfortunately in a democracy, politics is impossible to be a private enterprise.

I read an article from the man who said he coined the term.

I disagree with the premise that stating a political position is just a way to jockey to look good to others. Maybe I need to live where other people live. If I said the stuff they did around here in order to "look good to others," it would not be well-received.
    I disagree with the premise that other people's motivation are knowable to spectators.
    I disagree with the premise that espousing a political opinion on twitter and taking action are mutually exclusive.

I think it's a partisan political propaganda term used to squash opponent's views when there are no factual reasons to counter against it.
    Well, so much of politics is about portraying the opposition as "bad".... and not just as a machiavellian tactic. Plenty of people believe the charges they're making. Liar, racist, misogynist, bigot, commie, nazi, hypocrite... they're all things that rely on knowing the state of mind of the accused. It's a real thing; and people often believe it when they say it.... but at the same time, it's a political tactic to squash an opponents views.

People's motivations can't be known, but most people are just fine speculating about the motivations of people (especially ones they don't like). For example, everyone has beliefs about what trump's motivations are... even if everyone is working with incomplete information.
    Violence is never the right answer, unless used against heathens and monsters.

Type
    INTx
    "Handmade," "organic," and "reduced fat" are turn offs rather than selling points.