Page 338 of 344 FirstFirst ... 238288328336337338339340 ... LastLast
Results 3,371 to 3,380 of 3433

Thread: Unpopular Opinions

Type
    INTP

Type
    INtP

This is the big talking point right now, the state's new ad awareness campaign about meth. Everyone hates it so much and says it's not taking the issue seriously. I actually don't hate it but I bite my tongue.

If only Noem would have worn the "I'm on Meth" shirt that the ad campaign people wanted her to.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by oxyjen View Post
    This is the big talking point right now, the state's new ad awareness campaign about meth. Everyone hates it so much and says it's not taking the issue seriously. I actually don't hate it but I bite my tongue.

If only Noem would have worn the "I'm on Meth" shirt that the ad campaign people wanted her to.
    Even if it's what they intended it to be and not a statement of the problem, the slogan reminds me of "Just Say No" and it will be about as effective. I expect the campaign came from a desire to Do Something! but they have no idea what to do.
    Your gardening sucks and your avocados ain't fruitin'. -- Sappho the Maestro

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by C.J.Woolf View Post
    I expect the campaign came from a desire to Do Something! but they have no idea what to do.
    This got me thinking - has there ever been any effective campaign/program to de-popularize any drug ever?

I can't think of one. About the only thing that seems to make an addictive drug less popular is the rise of a newer and cheaper drug. Crack and heroin might be on the wane, but only because opioids and meth have supplanted them.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Senseye View Post
    This got me thinking - has there ever been any effective campaign/program to de-popularize any drug ever?

I can't think of one. About the only thing that seems to make an addictive drug less popular is the rise of a newer and cheaper drug. Crack and heroin might be on the wane, but only because opioids and meth have supplanted them.
    I don't know if they had any effect, but I thought Aronofsky (director of Requiem for a Dream) did some scary anti-meth ads.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hephaestus View Post
    Heh. We've been here years now.

Type
    INTP

I think this one was found to have been effective:

Type
    INXX

I stopped being a daily alcohol drinker by reading a book.
    Stand clear of the closing doors, please.

Type
    INtP
    Quote Originally Posted by C.J.Woolf View Post
    Even if it's what they intended it to be and not a statement of the problem, the slogan reminds me of "Just Say No" and it will be about as effective. I expect the campaign came from a desire to Do Something! but they have no idea what to do.
    I was told by someone I know, former drug addiction counselor, that one of the meth ads feature a spoon. Apparently nobody uses a spoon for meth so they need an information awareness campaign for their own information awareness campaign.

I think broadcasting the local helpline number who have volunteers to answer questions and hook up callers to resources in their localities is a way better use of funds.
    Last edited by oxyjen; 11-21-2019 at 07:15 PM.

Type
    INTP
    Unpopular opinion: drugs should not be illegal; the "war on drugs" (in the US, along with anything like it in the world) is a costly, pointless and unethical travesty.

Let people be free to ingest, imbibe, inject, inhale or otherwise consume whatever they want. It is their lives, let them live or die as they please.

I do not care for drugs myself, but neither do I abide unethical, evil abrogation of personal freedoms.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by LordLatch View Post
    I stopped being a daily alcohol drinker by reading a book.
    Which book?