Page 301 of 301 FirstFirst ... 201251291299300301
Results 3,001 to 3,010 of 3010

Thread: Unpopular Opinions

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by stuck View Post
    I have stumbled in my mild autism across the perfection of the cocktail, humbly submitted to @Hephaestus :

Any kind of frozen berries or frozen mango/pineapple chunks
    Any kind of high proof alcohol

that's it. low effort, sugar without making you puke. also not popular.
    Sounds safer than my high proof cocktail: 1 bottle everclear to 1 can of frozen orange juice concentrate. It's very refreshing, but a single stein full will kick my ass to spinsville.

Frozen cherries are my favorite form of ice. I bet they'd go fantastic in snifter of cognac accompanied by a nice fat blunt. I can't believe I've not done this yet.
    Most of time, when people ask why something terrible happened, they don't realize they are looking for someone to blame.

--Meditations on Uncertainty Vol ξ(x)

Type
    INTJ
    INTPx Award Winner
    Large cities benefit from sudden and severe cold snaps to relieve the problem of homeless people, stinking up doorways with their piss smell and dirty blankets.

Type
    INFJ
    The 3rd Jewish Temple Prophecy

wetback Space Invaders Champion Fitz's Avatar
    Type
    INFJ
    Quote Originally Posted by Madrigal View Post
    Yeah, I spoke too soon when I said I don't do sugar. I like rum, cointreu, stuff with coke. Mojito, pisco sour. Tequila and vodka are vile, though, so are the cocktails that use them, and juicy alcohol is a great way to get a hangover to sit in your guts all day aside from the headache.
    Just drink a bunch of water and some electrolytes before bed. Hangovers are pretty easy to avoid.

Quote Originally Posted by Hephaestus View Post
    There is a lot of variance in beer. There are beers that are gross. Budweiser is way up there, as is Miller and Stella. Those last two are an instant headache for me--as are the pumpkin ales that come out this time of year.
    Yeah, the instant headache thing happens to me with a lot of beers. It ruins the whole experience.

I also completely understand your view if the craft beer situation in your locale is like it is around here--everyone is competing to have the hoppiest most bitter IPA out there, which I think borders on criminal because the value of the IPA before this craze was in how smooth it was. A good IPA was like drinking fresh buttered bread. Now such a thing is difficult to find.
    I think I mostly gave up on it in the height of the IPA craze in which everyone was raving over their carbonated pinesol topped with compressed air bitterant.
    I can't say I've ever had a good IPA, got any recommendations?

As @stuck observes, the carbs and alcohol of beer are very refreshing after heavy or prolonged labor. A weak beer after sweating buckets is like lemonade on a hot day, but with muscle relaxers. The best after a day of hard work is probably the shower beer: a cold beer in a hot shower is a cheap taste of decadence.
    You know what's like lemonade on a hot day? A margarita. If you want to get ghetto with it, it's basically limeade with some booze and salt for those electrolytes. Works equally well in the shower.

I don't bother with most cocktails. I've never found a cocktail that was better than straight Hennesy, reposado herradura, Loch Du (an out of production scotch of divine depth and complexity and zero soapiness), or a decent beer.
    I guess it helps that I like the whole process of actually making the cocktail. It helps me relax and get in the right mood to enjoy a drink. I've had dreams where I'm a Japanese bartender...

I rarely drink wine because it seems as hit or miss as beer, and is more often undrinkable swill. I prefer my swill drinkable.
    I only picked it up after working at a douchey food snob place and dating the sommelier. It is a lot more hit and miss but once you find your hits it's pretty magical when you start pairing it with food.

All that said, these days I favor hard cider and gose if I can find it--for a reasonable price in bottles.
    Oh man, I forgot about gose. That's one type I'll gladly drink.

A lot of ciders give me the instant headache too so I'm reluctant to try them but some of the ones I've had have been pretty good.

There's a couple sour beers I'd love to try but I only see them in cans and I'm not paying $13 for a six-pack of canned beer. I'd balk at that price for bottled, but I'd have tasted it by now.

I

I have stumbled in my mild autism across the perfection of the cocktail, humbly submitted to @Hephaestus :

Any kind of frozen berries or frozen mango/pineapple chunks
    Any kind of high proof alcohol

that's it. low effort, sugar without making you puke. also not popular.
    I mean you're like half way to a pina colada. Go all the way. Join the darkside.

Type
    INTP
    Some observations:

This whole notion of drinking in the shower seems odd to me. I think I'm opposed to it on principle.

Cans vs bottles. I thought that issue had been debunked along with wine snobbery. IE> In blind taste tests nobody can tell the difference.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Speaking of instant headache, anyone get instant back/shoulder ache as a response to some types of alcohol? Basically, when I drink cider or champagne, I often get an almost paralyzing pain in my shoulders/back to the point where it hurts when I breathe. I always have to lie down and it goes away in a couple of minutes. Really weird.

This happens to someone else in my family, and they told me that it happens to them when they drink alcohol after eating something very sugary, like cake. Which would make sense, because I drink champagne and cider almost exclusively when eating cake.
    Heh. We've been here years now.

Type
    xNxx
    Frozen cherries are my favorite form of ice. I bet they'd go fantastic in snifter of cognac accompanied by a nice fat blunt. I can't believe I've not done this yet.
    My standbys right now are frozen mixed berries and gin, frozen pineapple and bourbon, and frozen grapes and bourbon. Cherries are amazing but it starts to turn into dessert!

Type
    xNxx
    Quote Originally Posted by Madrigal View Post
    Speaking of instant headache, anyone get instant back/shoulder ache as a response to some types of alcohol? Basically, when I drink cider or champagne, I often get an almost paralyzing pain in my shoulders/back to the point where it hurts when I breathe. I always have to lie down and it goes away in a couple of minutes. Really weird.

This happens to someone else in my family, and they told me that it happens to them when they drink alcohol after eating something very sugary, like cake. Which would make sense, because I drink champagne and cider almost exclusively when eating cake.
    That's gnarly.

I wonder if it's a vagus nerve reaction?

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by ACow View Post
    Weissbier, belgium style beers (amber, reds, lambic-esque), etc are examples of beer done right which can be consumed on a hot summer day and in a single glass with a proper meal.

Pilsners and most lagers are examples of rank pisswater that shouldn't even be given to dogs...

/being a dickhead's cool.
    I find Pilsner Urquell refreshing but otherwise avoid that type. German beers and pale ales are where it's at.

I rarely keep beer on stock and tend to accumulate brandy and whiskey.
    "All my heroes are dead" - John Zorn

"It's not selfish if you hate yourself"

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    That's gnarly.

I wonder if it's a vagus nerve reaction?
    I hadn't thought about that. But there are many internet posts about it, and no explanation is ever given. Only more and more poeple feeling glad it happens to other people too.
    Heh. We've been here years now.