Page 298 of 299 FirstFirst ... 198248288296297298299 LastLast
Results 2,971 to 2,980 of 2987

Thread: Unpopular Opinions

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Mxx View Post
    Women who become mothers become inherently uninteresting to me. Unless they are really bad mothers, in which case, how their incompetency as a parent affects the development of a human being becomes fascinating to me.
    Hm, I'll put that to the test.
    Those who begin coercive elimination of dissent soon find themselves exterminating dissenters. Compulsory unification of opinion achieves only the unanimity of the graveyard.

~ Robert Jackson, Statesman (1892-1954)

Type
    INTP
    Black people in the US are being used for political purposes. Portraying black people as victims of racism allows white people to be portrayed as racist oppressors who need to adopt changes demanded of them.

There may be a degree of truth in the statements that black people experience racism but most of the problems in the lives of individual black people stem from growing up in poverty and living in high crime areas. Repeatedly telling someone that they are a victim of systematic discrimination will likely cause them view making any effort to improve their circumstances as pointless and therefore give up trying. The fact that their circumstances don't improve is mostly due to the fact that they didn't make an effort rather than the fact that they they are a victim of systematic discrimination. Constantly telling people they are the victim of systematic discrimination is harming them, not helping them. Kanye West has suggested that black people are mentally enslaved and I agree with him.

Poor immigrants of various races tend to live in high crime areas when they first arrive because the cost of housing is cheap but the parents usually work hard and make sacrifices and their children try hard at school so they can escape. I'd encourage anyone of any race living in a high crime area to make an effort to eventually move to a better area.

Middleclass people tend to live in low crime neighbourhoods. The police in low crime neighbourhoods don't usually patrol the neighbouthood stopping, questioning and searching people at random while this tactic is frequently used by police in high crime areas. My personal experience of police in my neighbourhood is that they don't ever come into my neighbourhood unless they are responding to a specific report of a crime that they will deal with before leaving, but this is incredibly rare. I have never been stopped, questioned or searched by the police but I attribute this mostly to my postcode rather than my skin colour.

Being stopped, questioned and searched by the police at random is not a good feeling and would understandably make people who have done nothing wrong feel hostile towards the police. This is more likely to be the experience of black people than of white people because black people are more likely to live in high crime areas than white people. Comparing the experiences with the police of a white person living in a low crime area with the experiences of a black person living in a high crime area is not a fair comparison. I know that poor white people living in high crime areas in Australia have a strong hostility towards the police. I think it has more to do with the tactics of police used in high crime areas than skin colour. However, there is a stereotype of young black men being involved in crime that does also contribute to making young black men targets for police attention.
    Last edited by Guess Who; 07-20-2018 at 09:30 PM.
    The truth will set you free

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Mxx View Post
    Women who become mothers become inherently uninteresting to me. Unless they are really bad mothers, in which case, how their incompetency as a parent affects the development of a human being becomes fascinating to me.
    I am so grateful you said this. As a 30-something childless (by choice) female, I feel the same way. But it limits my pool of available girl friends. I'm going to run an experiment soon to test whether or not this is just an awful bias I have (and because I'm running out of female friend options at my age). I will report back, but don't hold your breath as I'm very slow at making friends and meeting people.

Also the second part - right on haha. Do all INTPs like to study humans and human behavior? I always feel like the observer, life is so fascinating to watch. Sometimes I like to live it too, but mostly I like to watch.

Edit: Maybe they become uninteresting to me because I have chosen to be uninterested in raising little babies. Yes, I think that's it, our interests and lives just don't overlap. It's not that they are uninteresting, it's that they are not interesting to me. Plus every time I see them I imagine I hear my mother bitching about me not having kids, which she actually doesn't do too terribly much so that's some weird part of my psyche right there.

Type
    INTP
    It should be illegal to use dogs for police work. At best they are a convenience and a cheap substitute for better trained and equipped human officers. At worst they are unreliable, difficult to control and often they harm innocent people. The whole idea of teaching dogs to attack people is just archaic and barbaric.

Type
    INTx
    At best, police dogs are an effective alternative to lethal force for subduing noncooperative subjects that saves lives and reduces the risk to officers of injury.
    You hide behind caveats and modifiers. - Lurker

Type
    INTP
    Lethal force is only an option for officers when they are in fear for their lives. Since 1985 (Tennessee v Garner) it's not okay to shoot at somebody just for running away. So no, dogs are never an alternative to lethal force. There are much better tools available to officers now that don't carry the same inherent risk of seriously and permanently injuring the presumed-innocent suspect.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    I think you're both wrong. At best, dogs sniff out explosives and save lives, or find people trapped under debris, etc.

I do think there is validity in @pensive_pilgrim's overarching concern, but it isn't the dogs, it's the sadists they get paired with.
    Most of time, when people ask why something terrible happened, they don't realize they are looking for someone to blame.

--Meditations on Uncertainty Vol ξ(x)

Type
    INTx
    Quote Originally Posted by pensive_pilgrim View Post
    Lethal force is only an option for officers when they are in fear for their lives. Since 1985 (Tennessee v Garner) it's not okay to shoot at somebody just for running away. So no, dogs are never an alternative to lethal force. There are much better tools available to officers now that don't carry the same inherent risk of seriously and permanently injuring the presumed-innocent suspect.
    Generally you can't shoot a fleeing suspect, but my recollection is that there is an exception if there's a reasonable belief that the suspect poses an immediate risk of serious harm to others.

What's the much better non lethal tool for subduing an fleeing suspect whom an officer believes is armed? A lasso?
    You hide behind caveats and modifiers. - Lurker

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Hephaestus View Post
    I think you're both wrong. At best, dogs sniff out explosives and save lives, or find people trapped under debris, etc.

I do think there is validity in @pensive_pilgrim's overarching concern, but it isn't the dogs, it's the sadists they get paired with.
    It's the dogs too. This rant was inspired by watching a video where a dog mauled a compliant suspect while its handler tried unsuccessfully to get the dog to let go.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Caveat View Post
    Generally you can't shoot a fleeing suspect, but my recollection is that there is an exception if there's a reasonable belief that the suspect poses an immediate risk of serious harm to others.
    I believe that's correct.

What's the much better non lethal tool for subduing an fleeing suspect whom an officer believes is armed? A lasso?
    Tasers, beanbag rounds, pepperballs, physical fitness standards for cops that include being able to run. Or just airborne surveillance tracking the suspect until he gets tired. Drones cost about the same as dogs and are as good or better than helicopters. Good luck trying to run away from a drone with FLIR.

Type
    intp
    Quote Originally Posted by pensive_pilgrim View Post
    It's the dogs too.

Dogs that don't release on command aren't supposed to get through training.