Page 2 of 266 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread: Unpopular Opinions

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by starla View Post
    Why would total maximum happiness be our goal? I only care about my own.
    I'm talking from a societal point of view. Everyone cares about their own happiness, and no one has priority over another. Therefore, it's the total happiness that matters.

This kind of like a reflexion I had on ego´sm. It's normal to be egotistic, but everyone is, so it cancels out. Gotta love your neighbour, man

Merry Christmas
    Type
    INFP
    Quote Originally Posted by JollyBard View Post
    If our goal is maximum total happiness, we should kill chronically depressed people. That is, only if we consider them to have a negative score if total happiness is just a sum. Is it better to have ten super happy people or one billion depressed people?
    What about plants, animals, fungi, etc?
    What about depressed dead people?

I just thought of an outstanding unpopular opinion: death is permanent and absolute depression

Otaku
    Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by kali View Post
    :}
    I love :{, which is supposed to look like it has a mustache. Not many chances to use it unfortunately.

I think 99% of clinically depressed people would be fine if they would just eat healthy diets, abstain from alcohol and exercise regularly. Is that unpopular enough?

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by pathogenetic_peripatetic View Post
    I think 99% of clinically depressed people would be fine if they would just eat healthy diets, abstain from alcohol and exercise regularly. Is that unpopular enough?
    Thing is, those things require motivation, which depressed people lack.

Type
    INTP
    If you feel bad, if life has you down, you should just suck it up.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by JollyBard View Post
    Thing is, those things require motivation, which depressed people lack.
    Eh, not that much. If they still have their wits about them they could follow through with the choice. I think it's mainly the case that they're oblivious to the fact that their lifestyle choices are harming them, except in the case of addiction and self-therapy through binging.

Type
    INTP

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Faust View Post
    Eh, not that much. If they still have their wits about them they could follow through with the choice. I think it's mainly the case that they're oblivious to the fact that their lifestyle choices are harming them, except in the case of addiction and self-therapy through binging.
    I don't think you understand depression. It's not about not having their "wits about them", it's really just lacking all motivation and energy. It's not that they don't realise they have a problem, they just can't bring themselves to do something about it. It's a hormonal problem, usually, and it's much deeper than just being dumb.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by pathogenetic_peripatetic View Post
    I agree, though 99% is a bit high. I think a lot of people could head off depression early on, but any time you mention this, someone who spent three years on their couch not showering chimes in with "but you don't know how hard it is!!!!" as if you're Satan himself for even suggesting that they have a modicum of control over their own mental health. It's like diabetes. Some people get it no matter what they do because they lost the genetic lottery, but most people could've avoided it if they lived a healthier life.

Also, I don't think that's an unpopular opinion. I think a lot of people think that. It's just extremely unpopular with chronically depressed people and pharmaceutical companies.